Would it change how you buy Apple products knowing a 6-month life cycle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silverblack, Oct 24, 2012.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I see that the many of you disapproved the complaints about iPad 3 being replaced by iPad 4 after 6 months, calling them whiners, telling them to wake up to reality.

Now suppose Tim Cook admits that from now on the product cycles will be 6 months for everything. I know, it won't happen, but just humor me, say he does. Do you think you'll look at Apple products the same way as you do now, especially when it comes to the time to sell and upgrade?

2. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

From a sales point of view I could definitely see this happening. The Macs were selling ancient hardware at the same price points until yesterday and the Mac Pro still is.

In the mobile landscape the competition is so furious that new products are one of way keeping in the headlines.

Also the quarterly reports indicate Apple's R&D costs are growing fast, so this could indicate more resources and I don't think anyone believes in a wide portfolio so instead they would go towards a faster cycle.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It makes no difference to me because when I buy something I'm not worrying about future products. Trying to chase technology to make sure you've got the latest and greatest is a mug's game.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes, it would mean I would skip 2 versions between upgrades for my personal device.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I buy when I need to, and that means I don't buy every time an update is released. For example, I'm using an iPhone 4, my iMac is the first generation aluminum iMac purchased in August 2007.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

It would depend in the upgrade. For iPhones, I'd probably stick to a yearly cycle. For Macs, I'm in a muti year upgrade cycle. But iPads are another story. I get such great resale value on them that I could probably justify more frequent upgrades.

7. Kii20 macrumors newbie

Future proof?

I never thought of Apple as a company that puts releases bleeding edge hardware. If it works within a comfortable user experience, why change? I'd rather wish they focus less on quarterly pretty numbers and back to just being Apple.

The only forced upgrade I ever had to do was my 3G iphone that literally slowed time when I upgraded to iOS4.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I am willing to bet all of my Apple stock that folks are making a BAD assumption about life cycles. One time does not make a policy.

9. zhandri macrumors 6502

actually i think the 1 year cycle makes the products more valuable. what i don't like about the other companies is that they release new stuff every 4-6 months and it just seems like you always get the old stuff and don't have time to enjoy your newly bought devices.

10. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Personally, I would skip more than 2 versions. I've had very good luck with my devices that I may find myself waiting 4 versions (2 years) before I even upgrade. I still have my iP4 from its release date and have a hard time justifying upgrading since it still works great. Sure I don't have Siri, but honestly, I don't even use Siri on my iPad 3 so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Battery life is hurting a bit but with my iPad carrying much of the usage now, it's really not too bad.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got both of those products. :D

12. HDtrober macrumors newbie

+1

13. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I think all this angst just reinforces my view that brand experience is more important than technology in the mobile device space--specifically having the "latest" product is for many as important as having the product itself. I might be more sympathetic if the mid cycle release was a full redesign--but the ipad 3 is essentially indestinguishable from the ipad 3s, or whatever. Anyone with this much "new" compulsion will probrably update on the release of the next ipad anyway. Some consumers are more invested in fandom than functionality. I think with the battery and heat issues, ipad2 is the preferred release. The retina thing is a lot of hype--imo

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That would be great because it would take less time to buy cheaper last-gen devices.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I say this 6-month cycle is an aberration. They had to do something to counteract Kindle/Nexus before it's too late. Not gonna become the norm.

And if they do. Great. More reason for me to let you guys live on the bleeding edge.

16. JrJ 15 macrumors member

6 month life cycle? Older apple products do the same task that they did when they were new many years after their "life cycle"

17. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Right on. My iPad 2 3G and iPod touch 5 meet my current needs.

If those needs change, I'll look to Apple to fulfill them.

18. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would buy them every year, I find myself upgrading way too often as it is.

19. RTbar macrumors regular

I'm probably going to sell my ipad 3 and possibly get the rumored Nexus 10 tablet by Samsung (if rumors are correct) with the logic that:

If they are going to release a new one in march, I may as well get as much cash as possible now before it gets further devalued,

If they are not going to release a new one, I don't want an iPad 3.5 for 18 months, if I am going to have to put $100-$130 towords a new product, it may as well be one that will have actual noticeable new features,

The Nexus devices would be on a 1 year upgrade cycle

20. MikeT77 macrumors newbie

The Problem Is

That they stop supporting the "old" models with updates to iOS. Look at the functionality that is lost between the original iPad, the iPad 2 and the new iPad (3rd Gen) with iOS 6.

Does this mean my 7 month old "new" iPad (3rd Gen) will lose out on a feature (or features) that will be available in the 4th Gen with the next iOS update?

I would be fine with a shorter life cycle (6 months compared to 12) IF they were to keep features in the iOS updates compatible with the models released in that year. Meaning, if they release the 3rd & 4th Gen in 2012, don't kill features in iOS 7 for the 3rd while including them for the 4th. Customers are ticked off enough from the shorter life cycle; no reason to give them more to be annoyed about.

If they knew they were going to a new 8 pin connector they should've included it on the 3rd Gen iPad or just waited, not introduced the 3rd Gen and made this new "new" iPad the 3rd Gen instead of the 4th Gen.

21. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

22. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I think it's a one off, Apple just wanted to update to the 9 pin connector across all their current iOS offerings.

I'm sure it'll be once a year as usual after this.

23. MikeT77 macrumors newbie

24. WissMAN macrumors regular

WissMAN

I was thinking something close to this.

I feel like I want the newest, best, next thing when it comes to Apple products. For some reason, I feel that my 1.5 year old MBA is not good enough when really it is. It works flawlessly and is very able for what I use it for.

I feel this more with Apple products than cars, clothes or other possessions.

I think it is an interesting phenomenon and believe it does not just affect me.

I guess it is the marketing? But it seems like a simple enough tactic to duplicate.:rolleyes:

25. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

It would be better for me having a six month cycle. If I didn't like the one being released, I would only have to wait six month, not a year for the newer one to see if I liked that one better. The Mini is OK, but I was hoping for a better screen and at least the A5X. Now I have to wait until later next year for that one I think. ;)