Would like to uprade from OS 10.5 8 .. HOW? Also, Will i lose Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kristenanne77, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kristenanne77 macrumors regular

I have two macbooks ( both 2 Gig hz intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of ram) and I am running bootcamp on both of them.

I am currently running 10.5.8 (the apple animal is a leopard)

Its been a few years so I would like to upgrade to the next level, the "snow leopard". ((Not ready for the lion yet, I usually wait about three years so all the bugs are out. I am patient))..

I am hesitant about what may happen when I click the software update tab. Will it try and make my computer a lion, instead of a snow leopard? What will it cost? Most important is will i lose by "bootcamp' stuff?

Thanks
    K

2. simsaladimbamba

First, the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade* is not available via Software Update*, you have to buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD for 19 USD from the Apple Online Store, then insert it and let it do its job.

Second, the Boot Camp partition will be left untouched, but with every major system upgrade, it is best to make a backup anyway, as backups should be done anyway regardless of upgrading or not. For backing up the Windows partition, use WinClone, for backing up the Mac OS X partition, use Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free) or SuperDuper! and an external HDD, properly formatted**.

Third, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is no longer publicly available via the Mac App Store (MAS), the place you buy OS upgrades since Mac OS X 10.6.8.
    Nowadays you can only easily upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but it will probably not run on your Macs.

As for getting more RAM:

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?

3. kristenanne77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. i will contact apple store.
    Actually I bought superduper a few years ago when copying the mac drive for safe keeping. so its nice to know i can use it.
    Unfortunately I checked the memory upgrade site and i am maxed out at 2 gig! Guess thats the price you pay when using on older stuff.

:confused:
    One more question, will the upgrade delete programs I have installed like roxio toast, super duper, logic , garageband etc?

4. simsaladimbamba

No. But do a backup anyway,