Would one dare to buy the new MBP or get the 2015 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaunthesheep, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Shaunthesheep macrumors newbie

Still, I just can't decide on whether I should get the 2015 rMBP 256 gb or the 2016 ntb MBP base model. Since they cost pretty much the same, it all boils down to old vs new.

The main thing that holds me back from getting a 2016 MBP is that it's the first of a new generation, which of course brings some cons with it, like the wide-spread high-pitched keyboard issues. It really makes me consider the much more reliable 2015 model, as well as the better keyboard imo and ports. Then theres the 2016 MBP with improved screen, speakers etc.

What would you guys do? I would really like some tips and/or pointers.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

3. Nathan King macrumors member

Nathan King

Get the 2016 model. Chances are high you'll be extremely pleased. The 2016 MacBook Pro is the best machine I've ever owned by a significant margin.

Not to take the thread off topic, but I wonder how hard people are typing on the keyboard? Mine is almost silent when you depress the keys just enough to register a keystroke.

4. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Get both and do a side by side like I did and you will quickly see the 2016 is superior in almost every way. The 2016 screen, colors, having touch ID and super loud speakers are superior to the 2015 it's like night and day, no one can tell you because you have to see and hear it to believe it. I had each one for almost 2 weeks, the difference was huge for me. The 2016 is just a better product when you see what it offers compared to the 2015.

5. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

"Dare" is a funny term to use. I guess I'm a daredevil making such a daring purchase of a 2016. I do regularly participate in WinPC laptop roulette (when forced to), so maybe the term is apropos. However, this is no different than your typical Apple consumer experience. Like @MrGuder said, compare the two yourself, don't listen to drama on the internet.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

7. killawat macrumors 65816

highly highly subjective. If you want USB-A, HDMI and TB2, get a 2015. If you want USB-C and TB3, get a 2016.

8. danf1 macrumors newbie

I got the 2016 nTB model yesterday and I'm really loving it so far. The screen is beautiful, the sound is great, and while the keyboard is certainly "different", I'm already getting used to it already and feel it's actually nice to type on. I'd say go with the latest model - the older one is going to seem dated in a few years time. You'll need a few dongles - but to me it's not too much of an issue unless you are plugging stuff in all the time.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you want the older style keyboard or the newer one? Likewise with the ports, do you have a lot of USB products that would require the addition of dongles that go with the new machine? Since you're choosing between the non-touchbar based model and the 2015 MBP, I'd opt for the old model, because you get a faster CPU. the non-touchbar model uses a 15w TDP processor where as the 2015 uses a 45w model (I believe).

I don't have an answer on what you should do and how you should spend your money.

10. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

only reason id consider the 15 is that the 16's has a screen with a noticeable Hue shift. other than that, the 16 is so much sweeter (all my opinion, of course).