Would people still agree that the first iPhone is the best iPhone ever made?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iLoveMyApple, Sep 3, 2010.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I think it is. I loved the metal back. Sure it lacks a lot compared to my iPhone 4, but I really liked it. It was my first iPhone. What do you think?

2. Ever34 macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me but it's a dinosaur compared to what we have today. Still a nice looking phone though.

3. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I still love the design of the original. Me and my friend were talking about this the other day and we agree the first iPhone was built like a tank and the glass seemed thicker back then. I've seen people drop them many times until they dent and scratch and they still work. The new iPhone is still drop proof to some extent since I dropped it a few times, but the glass is so scratch prone, I hate it. It scratches worse than the plastic on my 3GS.

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

No. Just because it has an aluminum back doesn't make it the greatest. It lacked many basic features even for a smartphone when it first came out. The RAM was too low and the external speakers sucked.

Replaciing the battery and having a customized back is alot easier on the new one.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Why would anyone with the right mind say the first was the best? Almost every comparable category of the original to the newest iPhone 4 would show the iPhone 4 is better.

Maybe you have special feelings for the original, but it's not the best. I mean really... is the original Macintosh the best one that ever came out?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe not in terms of software, but hardware wise it's indeed the best iPhone ever made as it strikes a perfect balance between build quality and durability.

7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

It was really nice. The iPhone 4 is better in my opinion though

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

It was the biggest advancement in telephony, that's for sure, but the best iPhone? Not a chance.

I upgraded from my three year old 2G iPhone to my iPhone 4, and I wouldn't go back to my old one.

This one is way better for numerous reasons.

This is a silly thread. How you can not see the improvement over the original model is baffling to me.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Remember how things were better in Medieval Times?

Outhouses
    Disease
    Corruption
    Odor
    Horses
    Walking
    Excalibur

10. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Stop trying to be different. The iPhone 4 is better tenfold.

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Just another reason I find your presence here amusing! :D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, going to the bathroom behind the trees. Using leaves :D
    Oh the beauty.....

I agree.
    Feelings and design choice aside, it was the worst obviously cause each year there was improvements just like with everything else.

13. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I think you are missing the concept. No kidding the iP4 has more bells and whistles, but as far as how it was built? No question it is the best one.

14. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The original statement says nothing about build quality. It simply says "Would people still agree that the first iPhone is the best iPhone ever made?"

So which is the best ever made? How can the original be the best when it is severely lacking in comparison of all things considered?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Where did you read the OP asking or comparing build quality?
    It was a legend and a game changer but would I trade it for my iphone 4? Hell no, I couldnt put up with it now that I got spoiled with the new one.
    I used my brothers iphone 3G the other day and it was so slow compared to my i4 I didnt want to bother with it at all.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think the iPhone 4 is just as well built as the original. The build quality is equivalent. However, the original iPhone is obviously more durable due not having the glass back. As I said, it strikes the best balance between build quality and durability.

Although there are two areas in terms of durability that the iPhone 4 are obviously better in. The stainless steel band is far more scratch resistant than the original chrome bevel and the Apple logo doesn't get scratched up like hell as it sits behind the glass.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

In guess i actually read what they type AFTER the title and would agree the title of the thread is a bit misleading but he says it right here. Just reading between the lines.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's obvious that the OP is concerned with exterior features. "Loved the metal back." What else can you compare other than build quality and durability when it comes to exterior features?

19. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Nothing wrong with the OP being concerned over exterior features. His original question is:

Not:

Build quality. Does this mean durability? Does it mean design?

I'm an analyzer by nature.

Now... if it were:

Then, I'd most likely agree.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

iP4 is a china doll and breaks more easily. Im sure it is built well....once you get past the glass that is shattering. If i had an iP4, id be getting an aluminum back on it that has been posted and lose the glass. As for the stainless steel band. I had a BB Pearl that had a SS band where the iP4 does. Very slippery and i didnt like it. I got rid of that phone to buy my iPhone 2G.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When it comes to durability I'd say yes, cause the 2G could take a beating with its metal back and sides.
    Design it kinda feels big and heavy compared to an i4 IMO.

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I thought it was pretty obvious what he meant. But no big deal. I guess its his fault for not stating exactly what he was talking about.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Judging by the OP's 1 line above how can you be so sure he was just talking about durability or build quality?

24. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

It's really not that big of a deal. I'm not the only one that takes words more specifically.