Would Steve have allowed these (4.7 and 5.5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 9, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Do you think he would have?

I'm not so sure about the phablet component.

It's kinda sad they never made any jokes to being so adamant about 3.5" for 5 years and 4.0" for 2 and now just moving on.

:confused:

2. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Steve had that company on lockdown, errrbody now be like

[​IMG]

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

When will we get over the whole "Would Steve had allowed this?" thing and just move on? It clearly doesn't matter what he would and wouldn't have allowed because Apple continues to sell iDevices at a high rate.

4. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

5. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Why wouldn't he have allowed it:confused:

6. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

[​IMG]

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I cannot for the life of me understand all the "Steve would do this or Steve wouldn't do this" discussion over every move that Apple makes.

Steve Jobs had been dead for years! Technology and the needs/wants of consumers changes by the month. If Apple or their costumers keep worrying about what Steve would do they'll be forever stuck in 2011. Shall we also consider what Alexander Graham Bell would want for the next phone? Steve Jobs did his thing. He paved the way. But he's dead now, and the technology and consumer landscape goes on without him.

8. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Anything that makes a profit appealed to Steve. Anything, despite his words to the contrary. Apple history proves some of the products he bashed, were exactly what he approved at a later date, did a 180 and lavished with hype. Brilliant, he knew exactly what to say to manipulate people to his and Apples benefit. The current bottom line worth of Apple proves it as well.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Who cares about Stanley Kubrick films, he's dead and not putting out any more pictures! But that latest Michael Bay film, boy did you see the numbers at the box office on that one?

I think one can be interested in modern Apple and comparing it alongside the old Apple simultaneously, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

But I created the thread title sort of to make light of the "Would Steve have allowed this" comparisons. I can't believe you felt that to be heartfelt, but I do wish to go on an interesting mental path and hope this thread doesn't get trashed.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Steve is dead, people need to move on.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Art isn't the same as technology. The former can maintain its value forever. The later changes and becomes obsolete at a surprisingly fast rate. You don't look to figures from the past to decide how to stay up to date with tomorrow's technology.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Some might argue otherwise, notably Sir Johnny Ive.

Why go through the effort of a super sweet design when you can just slap hardware together in a big ole tower?

Why have a design team at all?

Some people get new apple hardware on the basis of a new design, not what's under the hood (non-S upgraders)

Also some films age quickly or upon release, or are just crap to boot, but Kubrick's films withstand the test of time.

13. caprica21 macrumors member

Absolutely! If Samsung/HTC/LG and company didn't came up with large phones, he would have anyhow!

Competitors came up with large devices to be 'different' from Apple and they succeeded to large extent. He would have done the same.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

So we're just talking about whether the post-Jobs phones make stylish fashion accessories?

15. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

The answer is no he would not have made the plus.

16. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

we're now just talking about, I mean you're just arguing, for the sake of arguing.

Happy Tuesday brah!

17. Cool Pup, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Yes. He would have. Steve would have done this because it's what the people want and the market shows it. At this point, if Apple never had a larger screen, they would dramatically lose their credibility and marketshare due to Android becoming very popular. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure Steve was influential in what was the larger iPhone 5 size.

Apple released an iPad Mini in 2012, a year after Steve died. Steve was totally against smaller tablets until near the end of his life. There is almost no way Steve didn't know of the larger iPhone 5 size and the future iPad Mini due to their releases so soon after his death (these products take years of planning and development).

Daring Fireball's John Gruber has said that the only real "non-Jobsian" decision Apple made was iOS 7 and that design template.

Not to mention in the Isaacson biography (and various interviews), it was reported that Steve was basically in the know about the technology for the next 5 or so years, so it wouldn't surprised me if a larger iPhone came up in meetings. It's also very likely he had his hands on this iWatch (and that future TV) as well in its early stages.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Hey, you're the one who started this discussion. Why ask the question if you don't want honest answers?

19. apple-silicon macrumors newbie

It's not like they go to the grave to consult on what the next product will be.

20. lysola macrumors member

I think Steve would've done something different or more interesting possibly, but then again it's useless conjecture. As many people said, it's senseless to wonder this all the time. Regardless of if he would've agreed or disagreed is now an insignificant argument.

21. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Regardless of if he would have allowed it or not, it is Apple's best move.

No matter how great iOS is, so many people argue that their sub-par Android device is better because the screen is bigger. Offering a choice helps keep Apple competitive, shuts up the naysayers, and will hopefully bring in a lot of new users.

22. Cryates macrumors 68000

He is dead. People need to move on and quit being so upset because they can't be satisfied.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

There is no way to know for certain.

The 4.7 wasn't too much of a stretch.

The 5.5, we cannot know for sure either, BUT you must remember. Jobs could say one thing and then flip it when it came time to change his tune such as when technologies evolves or new competitors have a niche they are filling that Apple is not.

For example, he *MIGHT* have said something like this today:

"Large phones like the Note have been a dismal experience. Who wants to use them? You need multiple hands to do anything! However, we solved all that. You can have a large phone, but still use it in one hand because we have introduced "Reachability." It changes everything! It just works."

Steve was great at telling you Apple's decision was the BEST decision, and we believed him because it made sense, but it was also in part marketing to make us not consider the alternatives.

And I think the world of Steve, but we should keep this in mind. Apple makes what is possible and desirable today.

24. caprica21 macrumors member

It was Steve's idea..

We do not even consider the possibility that it could be Steve's idea to come up with bigger phones after floating smaller one for 2-3 years.

It's just then competitors caught this earlier. Apple is just following his dream projects still in pipelines ;)

25. MalR macrumors newbie