Would the Apple store allow me to trade in a used BT Keyboard for a wired one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foidulus, Jun 6, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I am just absolutely sick of this wireless keyboard that came with my new iMac, it is by far the worst Apple product I have ever owned. The thing will disconnect randomly, and it may or may not come back, and if it doesn't I have to reboot the entire machine just to get my keyboard to connect. Whatsmore, if it randomly disconnects while I am typing something, the last letter I typed will just get sent to the OS constantly. Nothing quite like getting a screen full of a's when typing....

Anyway, I hate this stupid thing and I feel Apple's shoddy engineering/construction is to blame. I really don't want to go through all of this again with another keyboard that will probably do the same thing so I was wondering would it be possible to take this POS into an Apple store and walk out with a wired keyboard? Otherwise I guess I will have to cough up the $10 to get a cheap keyboard because I'm not using this supposedly "advanced" keyboard that cannot even type correctly any longer.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Call an Apple store and ask them. No one here is in a position to give you a definitive answer. The answer may vary from store to store.

You might also want to have them take a look at the kbd you have. You might get them to loan you a replacement wireless unit so you can test it.

Sudden random disconnects could be something mechanically simple like an intermittent battery contact. I mention this because I had a wired keyboard with a poor solder joint on its USB power line. It would cause the keyboard to "disappear" randomly while typing, and it would sometimes come back after a couple of key presses, or it might stay dead for several minutes, until a whack on it caused it to reconnect. Once I figured it out, I opened it up and resoldered it, and it's worked fine ever since.

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

You didn't say how old this was. Call Apple and complain, or ask about service. It's not shoddy engineering. There are many out there with no trouble at all. You have a problem. Not all that common from what I see. If it is too old, and Apple doesn't want to jump in, then yes a simple $10 USB keyboard will do ya.

4. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's 2 months old.

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Unless you have called Apple and complained about your WKB you probably out of luck, but I would call them anyway. Wouldn't hurt.

I discovered on my WKB that rechargeable batteries worked great and the few issues I was having disappeared. I was also replacing regular batteries in too short a time.