Would this be good for a 6 year old? Or a waste of money?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iLukeJoseph, Dec 22, 2011.

1. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I am a new mac convert, so pretty noobtastic right now (learning though). Wife is getting a new MBA under the tree. My 6 year old has a HP Laptop (that is a little overkill for her), but I would like her to learn Mac OSX as well.

So I found this on my local CL http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sys/2761536676.html

Is it even worth the asking price? And she likes to play online flash games, would it be powerful enough to do that? Even though it is only $99, if it won't work that is $99 I could put towards a used Macbook (older one) for her.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That old iMac should be more responsive than a 6 year old pc.

As to flash games, it depends. In most cases, you can test it out before you buy.

But even the first gen iPad is probably more powerful than it.

3. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I think you'd be better off buying a semi-new mac mini hooked up to a cheap monitor IMO.

Buying a used 10 year old computer sounds like trouble to me. Definitely not worth it.

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My buddy at work bought one of those recently and he likes it. He uses his MBP for the most part. But he does mess with it and he says it is decent.

You won't be able to support any new software. But for a 6 year old surfing it should be fine.

5. g-boac macrumors 6502

I can tell you that I 100% Rememeber our first computer, and I was six when we got it. An Apple ][+. My mom taught me how to use it, program in BASIC, "play" by using AppleWorks tutorials, and I went on to graduate high school valedictorian, now working as a rocket scientist. :)

I think an apple computer would be great for your daughter. I'd encourage you to stay 100% Apple - no PC monitors. Let her be immersed in and appreciate the complete Apple experience, from design to functionality. And this certainly is not overkill - if it's in your budget, even a 21" iMac of her own would not be overkill.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

6. TitanBrett macrumors newbie

No computer is overkill nowadays, kids need to be introduced to technology as early as possible in my opinion.

My 7 year old will be opening up a brand new iMac on Christmas morning

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Wow, I'm jealous of your child. All I'm probably getting is a $20 Supercuts gift card. :cool:

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I doubt it will play Flash games. A roommate I had four years ago still used an 800Mhz G4 iMac and it couldn't handle most Flash content then. I'd hate to think about trying to use anything Flash related on one of those now.

If you want to get a Mac to do anything Flash related get one with at least a Core Duo.

Personally, I say get her an Apple IIe. To plink about some good old fashioned games like "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego", "Oregon Trail" and "Odell Lake". Maybe go fancy with a color monitor.

10. iLukeJoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I guess I will pass then. Maybe I can find a older Macbook (with a C2D) or so.

I don't mind the idea of the IIe (I used one back in the day, but if you are around 30 years of age who hasn't). But she would get board with it. She flies on her HP laptop. Just would like her to get used to other operating systems then windows (which I can teach her anything needed there).

Thank you for the insight all!

11. ELSELS macrumors member

Hello,

I sent you a PM...

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Ed

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I honestly think it is over kill. She allready has a laptop. I dont think a 6 year old needs to try a different operating system. At this rate by 10 she will have an iphone, iPad, etc.

13. farmboy macrumors 6502a

farmboy

So what you're saying is that an old Mac is a gateway drug, leading to a young life tormented by repeated Flash lobotomies and needless texting and unsupervised App Store purchases, then?;)

I don't think it's overkill if you can reasonably afford it without missing a bill payment and she can use it for several years. The Windows box is sure to be lagging or deficient sometime very soon as app and operating system requirements move on.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

An IPad will suffice if u just want it for entertainment purposes but if u want to actually teach your child how to use the Mac OS then buy the cheapest Mac possible. I think that would be the Mac mini. My younger brother is 11 and fro the life of him operate a computer (he is the sports guy and I'm the computer guy), and I won't let him touch my iMac, but he can operate and iPad perfectly he might not understand everything but he figure out what he wants to do. So it's depend what your using it for to teach or entertainment.

15. Mad-B-One macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Kids NEED it!

Don't worry too much about age of computers. I got one of the last Comodore C64 flat designs and learned a lot on it. Then, I had a 286 when there were the first 484DX100 out and still loved it! What a computer - Apple or Wintel - has to be able to do is internet browsing and word processing. 10 years ago, they had games and even if it does not support the new AppStore, she will be excited and learn.
    I absolutely agree with that kids need electronics as soon as possible. My son is now two-and-a-half years old and navigates "his" (my old) iPad 1st Gen like a pro - he cannot read (words) but knows where the apps are he wants, how to open them, what to click to get into the game, etc. He learned almost all letters and numbers already and it is only a matter of time until he will lean how to read (thanks to my patient wife) and make the world his village.
    For all the parents of smaller children out there: Get your kids at least a used iPad and let them learn how the future works! :cool:

16. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I Would dual boot Linux on the hp laptop then you get the experience of three operating systems and the majority of six years olds have never used Linux. I would get your kid an iOS device instead of an older mac along with the Linux install in their future iOS will probably be more dominate than osx.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i wouldn't get for your daughter...the 700MHz is just to slow.

however if you wanted to use as itunes music player..the external speakers that are included are unreal! (but only work with the imac G4)

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At least you have hair to cut my friend. :D

19. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I love reading about kids getting into technology so soon. I am only 16 but can already see how important it is to learn this stuff young, since it truly is our generation's future.

20. Xikum macrumors 6502

Giving a 6 year old Linux?

This is just getting ridiculous now. I hope you ask her to compile it from source!

21. ELSELS macrumors member

Hello,

I have PM'ed you in regards to "your interest" in the iMac 17" computer I have, you might like to purchase, please contact me ASAP..?

Thanks!

Have a nice evening,

Ed

22. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

23. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

24. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon