Would this be illegal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecharlesmoore, Dec 18, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

Ok, I don't care if this is a dumb question, I just need clarification.
    Today I went to Best Buy to do a trade in for my iPhone 3GS. They were offering a $111.00 gift card for the trade in. I noticed that they were selling iPhone 4 for $99.00 so I was pretty excited to get it. When I went to the counter they said that I was not eligible for an upgrade. Note, a couple of months ago my phone broke so I went on ATT's website, paid the 18 dollars for a replacement 3GS and I guess it counted for an upgrade. My question is, would it be wrong to buy a 4 (with that 2 year contract thing, $99) and put my iPhone 3GS' sim card in it? and is there any way to get a 4 or am I screwed?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Why would buying a phone outright and using it be illegal?

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You're not making much sense. You aren't eligible for an upgrade. It would cost at least $250 more for an early upgrade. You might as well get a 4s at that price. :)

4. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

because to buy it unlocked would be $600. There are 3 options: 1) Start A New 2 Year Contract- $99 2) Upgrade My Phone-$99 3) Replace My Phone (no contract)-599.99

They told me I was not eligible for an upgrade.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

You can't get the iPhone 4 for $99 without a 2 year contract, so I'm not sure what you're asking. Edit: starting a new contract and canceling it won't be significantly cheaper than paying full price for the phone itself. You'd be obligated to pay the termination fee.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

That doesn't make it illegal, that makes no sense.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

If you're not eligible for an upgrade how would you upgrade your phone for $99? So it seems you have only 2 choices. You can't put your 3gs sim in the 4 as the 4 has a micro sim and the 3gs does not. You would have to cut your sim down OR go to your provider and get a micro sim for the phone.

Oh and remember, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions." Chris Berman.

8. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Alrighty.

----------

Thanks for that one.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

To clarify for you, stealing a phone would be illegal. However, obtaining it legitimately, whether you buy it, get it as gift, or what have you is fine.

10. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Yeah thanks. I just wanted help with the added 2 year contract. I hate that I upgraded to the same phone without knowing about the other options.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can not buy it for the $99 because you are not eligible. So ATT won't even sell it to you. talk to them and see if you can terminate your $18 upgrade. BTW 3GS is going for 200-260 on Craigslist in my area.

12. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely going to do that tomorrow morning. Thank You!

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Of course this counted on an upgrade...you got an $18 3GS subsidized by the new 2 year contract that came with it. You messed up a few months ago. If you wanted a 4/4S, you should have used your upgrade then.

14. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

well...considering I was on the ATT site and didn't know about the Best Buy trade in thing until yesterday...I would say I was just unaware.

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Personally, I wouldn't give AT&T the money, in this case. If it were me, I'd hunt EBay for a phone, so I'd be able to avoid adding time to my contract.

16. Couture Wraps macrumors newbie

Couture Wraps

Since you are ineligible for an upgrade.. I was in the same situation not too long ago. I used someone else's upgrade (my mothers since I pay for her on my family plan) who didn't really care too much about what phone they used and gave them my perfectly good phone until my upgrade came around and I would use it for her if she wanted or needed.

I don't think you can terminate the $18 phone or agreement.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You can still get the gift card (though you might get more off direct sale via Craigslist). However, you would need to purchase an off contract (full price) iPhone 4/4S, cut down the sim card from the 3GS to microsim size and put it in the new phone.

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I've never understood this train of thought. If you plan on switching soon, sure, makes sense. But if you know you plan to be with ATT for a long time to come (as I do), then what's the issue with a contract?