Would this shady tactic work? Unlocking Iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wknapp0924, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

I am not going to do this, but I wonder if it is possible. If you have a friend being deployed to Afghanistan could you swap your sim with them and have them unlock your iphone 5 and swap sims back since ATT unlocks deploying troops phones? I know most people just buy a cheap afghan phone and leave their iPhone at home, what my wife did.

2. wknapp0924 thread starter macrumors 6502

Care to elaborate? The phone gets unlocked not the sim itself, I guess the IMEI would probably throw off ATT in that case, prolly right.

3. SquiPhone macrumors member

translation: "No. I dont know what i am talking about"

Yes, this can be done. You can even do it through att online chat.. before my brother was deployed we got at&t to unlock his phone AND mine. they also closed his line and another i wasnt using w/o an ETF fee (this one takes a little more effort, actually had to verify his deployment)

And just an FYI, they will unlock up to 5 phones per account per year! :D

4. Brymo macrumors regular

No.

5. wknapp0924 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. Thats what I thought.

Yea when my wife deployed we asked to put the phone on hold to keep her number, but they said they would only cancel it for us but waive the ETF.

I was dumbfounded that was their policy. I said ok if you let me cancel my wife's number and not save it then I am walking out the door and going next door to Verizon and signing us up because I was off contract. The rep thought about it and agreed it was a pretty stupid policy and escalated it and got us to hold the number, suspend the contract, and gave us a $100.00 credit for the trouble they caused.

Well if she gets deployed again I might just try that, because I dont want her taking her iphone 5 over to that god forsaken country, but I am hoping she wont be deployed for a very long time...

----------

Valuable contribution. Thank you.