Would this work? - 2013 15" rMBP-OWC TB 2 Dock - 24"ACD (incl. USB 2.0 Hub)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JulesK, Dec 30, 2014.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

After spending a bunch of time looking at all the threads on external displays for the 15" rMBP, I think I'll stick with my trusty 24" ACD. I do want more USB 3.0 ports, however, so I'm thinking of getting the new OWC TB2 dock (which has five). The idea would be to run a TB cable from the MBP to the dock, and then to the ACD, which should work in terms of driving the display.

My question is whether I can also run the USB 2.0 cable from the ACD to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the TB2 dock (rather than one of the USB ports on the laptop), and have the three USB ports on the ACD functional (albeit as only USB 2.0 ports, of course). That would be one less cable to connect to the MBP.

Any thoughts on this?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Not sure what you asking but USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0

3. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks. I understand that, but essentially I would be connecting a USB 2.0 hub (on the ACD) to a USB 3.0 port that itself is part of a TB2 hub, which will be connected via TB2 to the laptop. I'm wondering whether, at some point, it will start to get flakey.

I guess I can always order the OWC hub and see what happens. For my needs, it's the best one out there, and one of the best priced. I'll see if these hubs actually have shipped, as the original TB hubs took forever to be released after they were announced.

4. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Yes, it should work fine!

Also check out my thread and add the dock you want if it's missing!