Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
My wife and i currently each have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. Would the following plan work:
-She would order a iPhone 5 (32gb) with the uncarrier $50 a month plan.
-I would get a pre-paid $30 a month 4G plan sim from T-Mobile (which is only for new activations, so i assume it means only people who have never had T-Mobile before?)
-If the coverage was good enough on the iPhone 5 during the first month, she would pay off the remainder of the balance, close the $50 a month account and then use the $30 a month prepaid sim in the iPhone 5.
-Then would transfer over her number from her AT&T iPhone 4.

Would it work?

Ultimately, we'd like to get her phone on the $30 a month plan, but first we'd like to make sure the T-Mobile coverage was fine around town before porting her number over and losing her old cheap (but very limited) data plan with AT&T.

Thanks in advance!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
On paper, your plan should work. It's creative and solves issues for you.
I do think after the dust settles AT&T (and, Verizon) will come up with additional plans that are attractive and a way for those carriers to keep their clients.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Yes, that works. You can payoff the iPhone whenever you want. When paid off, you can cancel your service without any fees. And of course you can add the i5 to the $30 monthly prepaid plan.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks!

Does T-Mobile let you return the phone and cancel your plan with in a couple weeks or a month if your service is terrible?

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
-I would get a pre-paid $30 a month 4G plan sim from T-Mobile (which is only for new activations, so i assume it means only people who have never had T-Mobile before?)

It just means new activations, not new customers. So you can be an existing or former T-mobile customer, but you'd have to be activating a new sim card.

I did this when I switched from AT&T. I ordered 2 sim cards. Activated one and used it for a month to test everything out. I try to avoid calling customer service and talking to machines as much as possible these days, so the 2nd one was for once I was sure I wanted to switch. If you don't port your number during activation then you have to call in to get it done. Activated the 2nd sim online, used the option to port, and tossed the 1st sim :)

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
wow, thats actually a great idea about using 2 sims in order to make porting the number over easier. i'm not sure how much the Tmobile sim is for the $30 plan, but i'll have to check it out and see if its worth not having to call in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.