Carrier Would Verizon's home LTE be just as fast as mobile LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamborghini392, Dec 23, 2015.

1. lamborghini392 macrumors member

Been really unhappy with my ISP for the past few months. I would switch cable ISPs but they are the only one available in my area. That leaves me with satellite or LTE internet services. I have Verizon for my iPhone 6S and get around 80mbps download and 30mbps upload. Let's just say my local Verizon store hasn't really answered any of my questions...

So does anyone know if their LTE modem and plan delivers the same speed as their mobile data plan for my iPhone? Their standard modem's specs are rated at gigabit speeds whereas the iPhone 6S is rated at 300mbps. They advertise it as having 5-12mbps download and 1mbps upload, but so do their regular mobile data plans and I obviously get a lot more.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It looks like the speeds are pretty much the same, essentially a glorified mobile hotspot in a fixed location. So the speeds are likely the same.

What would worry me more is the pricing: $60 for a measly 10GB, and $15 a gigabyte after that. At the LTE speeds you're getting, you could use up your monthly allotment in 17 minutes. By nature, having a laptop or desktop computer means you're going to be using a lot more data. Just last week I had OS/MS Office updates that took up about 3GB.

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Verizon's fixed LTE solution is most likely throttled to a specific speed. I know that a Sptint MVNO offers fixed LTE service at 5mbps download.

While the LTE modem/router they give you is rated at 1Gbps, you will most likely never see that bandwidth.

If I were you, I would give the cable ISP a shot. You'll most likely be able to use a lot more data at higher, more stable speeds. Plus, a cable ISP is going to be leagues and bounds cheaper for the amount of data. Really, Verizon's LTE solution is for those in rural areas with satellite as their only option.