Would you be upset........

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Nov 16, 2009.

?

Too long to post question, refer to post #1 in the thread!

1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. No.

32 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. Sort of.

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Why should I care?

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If you found out that the Homeless had H1N1 vaccine readily available to them and didn't have to wait in lines for it, but instead had the vaccine delivered to them on the streets etc?

I'm interested in people's initial reaction to this idea. Feel free to discuss why, and I'll explain myself after some initial discussion has taken place.

SLC

2. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can see both sides.

Homeless are a high risk group so vaccinating them males sense. On the other hand, you hear reports of pregnant women and children (also high risk groups) not being able to get it. If I had to make a choice, I'd probably choose the latter group.

What really pisses me off is reading that Wall Street firms were getting supplies of the vaccine while hospitals 6 blocks away had none.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Not in the least. More vulnerable populations should be dealt with first. They have high risk due to close contact with lots of areas of poor hygiene.

5. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Maybe yes maybe no, does it matter. I want your up front oppinion. Imagine it wasn't, how would you feel?

SLC

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yes, I'd be upset. If I'm the one forced to pay for it (with my taxes), it should be delivered to ME as well.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like a good idea, they are a high risk group. Treating high risk groups helps everyone, and the homeless also are far less likely than other high risk groups (like pregnant women) to be proactive about their welfare.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they're at risk of helping spread the virus even more due to the lack of proper sanitation: so no. however i think priority should be medical personnel first and other high risk groups.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wouldn't really care, I don't particularly want the vaccine for myself anyways.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wouldn't care because I have no desire to get the H1N1 vaccine myself. But they are a high risk group so they should be getting it.

11. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I guess I wouldn't care. Though, it doesn't upset me that, as rdowns mentioned, Wall street is getting it before hospitals either.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not at all. In fact, I'd prefer it. You're talking about a very high-risk group that could not get vaccinations at all any other way, contact a LOT of other people throughout the day, and don't stop panhandling for the day just because they've caught a sniffle. They're natural-born carriers. Vaccinating them could be the difference between a manageable outbreak and a public health disaster.

For those who feel better looking down on the homeless, it's not that different from using public funds to control mosquito populations in standing bodies of water. It benefits you, even if your name isn't on the deed.

13. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

It doesn't bother anyone that to get a shot they have to wait in long lines for hours at a time (Here in Salt Lake City it's like Black Friday, No Lie!), and even then maybe not even get one. All the while, the homeless guy gets one while he has lunch?

That wouldn't piss anyone off?

SLC

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think that vulnerable sections of society should definitely be first in line to receive the vaccine. Period.

15. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'd like to be treated equally, not better. If they are getting deliveries at my expense, so should I.

Excellent point.

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I am personally not getting the vaccine, but I would hope that it would only be exclusive for them for a short period of time before being made readily available to everyone else starting with the groups that need it most (like pregos and children). Everyone who wants it though should be able to get it without a problem. I don't see why there has to be a shortage of supply when it comes to things like this. I mean don't these vaccine producers know that it is going to be in very high demand. Maybe they can't produce the medicine fast enough?

17. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yes, I find that very irritating. I'm for equal treatment--even if I'm the one paying for it.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You probably put yourself more at risk standing in line for hours with other people than if you just didn't get the shot at all. :D

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

H1N1 is a very fast-spreading flu variant because there is little natural immunity in the population (due to the dissimilarity of this virus to most modern seasonal strains). The H1N1 problem emerged after the seasonal vaccine was already in production, or it would have been included in the regular seasonal vaccine. The manufacturers had to play catch-up in isolating and manufacturing a vaccine, and moreover must satisfy increased demand as a result of the attention this strain has generated. The shortage is not surprising, but from recent reports seems to be improving.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here.

21. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Maybe I'd be better off if I hung out with the homeless on vaccine day. :D

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Make sure to get a flashy and creative sign so they know you are one of their kind. The last time someone tried to infiltrate their ranks it didn't go so well. :( Macrumors lost a brave soul that day.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is the homeless person allowed to turn down the shot or are they just randomly giving it to them without their consent?

I can see both sides of the argument that they are going to be carrying the disease around and hitting a bunch of people. But I don't think they should be the first to get it, maybe if there is left over supply.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they are going to do it without consent I would have to change my vote to "yes"

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The legal requirement of informed consent stands for everyone.