Would you blow off Turkey dinner to go shopping?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are you one of the nut jobs that would rather wait in line at Best buy Thanksgiving afternoon rather than eat turkey and watch football? Or go shopping at K-Mart instead of spending time with family (or eating turkey and watching football). Have stores gone overboard in opening this early, or are people just nuts to want to shop this early.

If I was working retail and had to work on Thanksgiving I would tell my boss to shove it and also the people walking into the store.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I heard a report that someone had started camping out on Monday at a Best Buy for Thursday! I can't believe it. The problem with Black Friday is getting up at 3 am to go stand in line. The problem with Black Thursday is that you disrupt your TDay. I won't do it.

The wife of a couple we know and are visiting on TDay, has to go to work at Target on Thursday night. :(

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It upsets me to see retailers doing this.

If I worked retail and I had to work on Thanksgiving then I would be calling in sick. I have sick days to use and I would be using one.

I don't often go shopping on Black Friday but I refuse to shop at any place before 4 AM and I refuse to go to any store that opens for business on Thursday. No "deal" is worth me giving up time with my Family.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stand in line in the middle of the night to buy something? Not a chance in hell, regardless of how much I'd like to minimize time at big family gatherings.

I'll do what I do every year. Buy most online and take a day off of work and shop early on a weekday morning when stores are empty.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wow...loaded question.

Suuuuurrrrre you would...

I don't plan on going shopping this weekend, but that has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, or turkey, or family (or football, which I don't watch) - I just don't want to wade through crowds of people. It's not worth it to me.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How is it a loaded question, anyone who would sit in line outside a store for 2 days is nuts. Retail seems to becomming a bigger hell then I remember it being, I thought Black Friday was bad enough, now we need dark Thanksgiving?

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

For me Food trumps Shopping any day. So my answer is "Hail no!" I ain't losing any more teeth over the Must Have item of the season.:rolleyes: Y'all can thank Elmo for that.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sometimes they just write themselves. :rolleyes:

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hate shopping and hate hordes of people so no.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do than shop on any given day, so the idea of shopping with the Great Horde resembles the seventh level of hell.

I'm taking the kid hiking. On Monday, I'll go online and buy a few things and spend the rest of the day wandering around the local shops sipping coffee and chatting with the owners.

Black Friday is a monster and I refuse to get involved.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

NO.

There's this thing called Amazon.com that allows me to do shopping minus the innumerable hassles of shopping at a store on Thanksgiving Day, so there. :p

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I saw worse. People camping out at BB in Sacramento last Sunday for Thursday. I initially thought it was because they were mimicking the Sam's Club event that also happened that Sunday.. I was wrong.

Personally, I would not give up time with my family for shopping. Some people have really forgotten the concept of family and how time with them is rather limited, while going more towards the fleeting almighty search of a good deal.

Not that a good deal is bad, but when it becomes more important than time with loved ones, that becomes a problem.

In short, no, I sure as hell would not forgo dinner for shopping.

BL.

13. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

No way. I can't stand retailers being open on Thanksgiving. Now if they open at 6am friday morning, then that is different in my opinion. I've never went black friday shopping in the early morning. Later on in the afternoon after everything dies down. If I need something that bad, I'll just order from Amazon at Midnight. Its probably cheaper there anyway.

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Does the internet close on black friday? People going out fighting the crowds, waiting in lines, I just don't get it.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Refer to my sig.

We're even skipping the turkey ceremony this year - because gorging on poultry is not really the point of Thanksgiving, is it?

16. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I'll pass on the dinner and the shopping thanks

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, yes...a person after my own heart!:D

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I enjoy the big family dinner, the food is good and everyone puts their own twist on stuff, so we get a pastiche of cuisines along with a pretty good turkey.

I'm actually a bigger fan of eating turkey sandwiches and soup for the rest of the week.

One year, I couldn't make it back home for Thanksgiving, so I volunteered at a shelter and served food. I want to do that again with my son when he is a little older.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks to this wonderful thing called the internet that apparently these nutjobs have never heard of, it's possible to do both.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I can understand the shopping, but the dinner too? Comeon, people. CRANBERRIES AND HAM!

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much stopped reading at this point. What people do with their time is no concern of mine.

22. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

What if you worked retail, do you want to be forced to go to work? Just because people want to shop doesn't make it right. I stand by my statement, if you go shopping on Thanksgiving or wait in line for a cheap ass TV on sale get a life!

Are you against this too?
    Connecticut is looking to pass a similar law to ban Thanksgiving shopping.

23. malman89 macrumors 68000

Never.

Thanksgiving was probably the only time I missed home when I was living in Rome. I was in London for Thanksgiving in '09 and called in at dinner for a few minutes.

Thanksgiving is the best holiday, period. Family, food, and football. And more food for leftovers.

I dislike shopping in general and rarely buy big ticket items (I'm writing this on a Late 2006 MacBook that has no battery and stutters on the occasional video, but I've yet to get a replacement) and dislike shoppers, let alone frantic crowds of shoppers.

24. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The point is to spend time with family and be thankful.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, it stinks if you work retail. However, they will be paid time and a half or even double time so the employees are getting some benefit.

Yes, I think it is ridiculous for the government to tell businesses when they can or can't open their stores.:rolleyes: