Would you buy a 2012 rMBP 15 out of warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by esskay, Aug 12, 2013.

1. esskay macrumors 6502

Found a reputable seller with a 2012 retina MBP 15". It's no longer under warranty, but had its display replaced with a Samsung and logic board replaced by Apple prior to warranty expiration. Both work was done not too long ago, so apparently those components are still covered for another 2.5 months or so.

Would you consider buying it, or too risky? Thanks for any thoughts.

I don't usually get extended warranties for anything, but have AppleCare on my other Macs... Never used it except to replace some peripherals. I am usually kinda wary of first model year items...

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I would think all answers depend on the price for said item.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Depends on......

price and conditions. No cosmetic and functional issues and a price that afford buying AppleCare can signal a go.

But we aware. You are buying a troubled piece of hardware.....:confused:.......

:):apple:

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Absolutely agree. There is no reason right now to replace an rMBP 15" that is working fine with another computer, so if two expensive bits of hardware have been replaced recently, I'd be weary.

Go the store.apple.com, look in the refurbished section for a cheaper rMBP that comes with a full one year warranty.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Are you saying only purchase it if you can afford AppleCare too? But the whole point is buying out of warranty where AppleCare cannot be purchased anymore.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

My bad.....

I dont read the OP as carefully as I must......:confused:.....:eek:.. And I not, in good conscience, can advice to buy the aforementioned computer. Too risky to put big $$ and get burnt.......

:):apple:

7. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback folks. Part of the appeal was that I might be able to trade some stuff for it rather than use scarce cash. But it does makes me nervous...

8. bkribbs macrumors 65816

It sucks to pass up a good price but these are the first gen. Pass.

9. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Well if you're trading stuff, that's a different story. I would definitely look into doing something like. It pretty much changes the whole outlook on it.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

First generation is just fine. Motherboard and screen replaced, not so fine. No chance to buy AppleCare, that's a problem (my rule is that you should buy AppleCare if you have problems in the first year, because that makes it more likely that there are more problems to come).

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

With no warranty and how expensive these are, I would not buy one unless it was CRAZY good priced.