Would you buy a 2013 MacBook Pro under warranty but no box? (but great price)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyACEcandy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I'm in touch with a guy who posted his 13.3" MacBook Pro 2013 Retina with i5, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd for $1,000

It's still under warranty obviously, but he doesn't have the box.

Is this suspicious? Would I need the box should I ever need any coverage on it? $1,000 seems like an incredible price. Almost too good to be true... so I'm being cautious.

Thanks

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I would. Sounds like he bought it, got outside the return window, and either decided he didn't want it any more or hit a financial snag and needs money ASAP. I almost never keep the box for more than a week.

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I'd be slightly worried it might be stolen or a scam at that price. Meet somewhere public and take a mate or two (or more and have them wait nearby in the wings).

Good luck.

4. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

You nailed it on the head. He's just calling them 'personal problems'
    I'm just wondering if the warranty is still good if I don't have the box? Or if I could take it into an Apple store and purchase Applecare without a box?

$1,000 seems like too good to be true so I'm just trying to make sure I have all my bases covered. Same laptop with same specs goes for $1500+ I think

5. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Looks like the seller is trying to flip that as quickly as possible, may or not be stolen like another poster said. $1000 for that model? Not even Best Buy, or any other retailer, is offering that much of a bargain so the seller may be unaware of the potential value (seems unlikely to me though). The box isn't important so I would say give it a go. If the transaction has to be done in person, make sure to bring someone or two along as a precaution, as the previous poster stated, and meet in a public place.

6. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Yeah, I've done a lot of Craigslist transactions but definitely nothing to this scale. We'll see if he's legit. I'm waiting for him to text me some pics and possibly a serial number now.

I'm sure he's getting bombed with e-mails/texts now though. That price is too good lol. Expecting a "hey, someone else is offering me $1300 for it..." soon

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Meet in a public place, wouldn't be terribly concerned about having "backup". Just meet during the day in, say, a McD's parking lot or something.

My guess is he needs to sell this thing ASAP and that's why he's lowballing. Can't afford to wait for a top bidder. Just "I need money, if you have cash in hand let's do this right now." I've sold some things under similar circumstances.

8. etcetera. macrumors newbie

I have seen the same spec rMPB sell for 1,034.00 on BB open box so that's about accurate. He's probably wanting the Haswell and it's just outside of the warranty. I personally would stay away from a rMPB out of warranty. If not be prepared to study up on ifixit.com.

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I'd advise against a parking lot. I've sold probably a dozen MacBook Pros meeting people inside a Starbucks or something like that. It's just safer all the way around.

A couple other comments to the OP:

1) One good protection for you is to ask for a copy of the receipt, for proof of purchase. Some people don't hang on to that legitimately, but if he does have i to give to you, that increases your odds of things being OK dramatically.
    2) Asking for the serial number is smart, although not a guarantee of anything.
    3) Stolen laptops have been an issue on Craigslist, but this price is not so absurd so as to make me super suspicious either.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

IIRC, purchases from apple whether in store or online - receipts get emailed. though the deal is still great.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Have him show you the serial number and then have him logon to Apple's Support Profile website and show you that the machine is actually registered to him. Also confirm the warranty status.
    Then have him unregister it in front of you.
    If you buy a machine that is still registed to someone else you will have problems getting service down the road, warranty or not.

12. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Okay, fair point. I was thinking a parking lot like the few spaces directly next to the Starbucks or whatever, not like a big ol' Wal-Mart one where no one can see ya. I think we were going after the same concept. XD

13. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, now this is just weird. The deal is so good, it has to be stolen lol...

He gave me the serial number via text message and I looked it up and it's a Late 2013 MacBook Pro purchased in October... Wtf? At $1,000 this is sick.

I'm waiting for him to send me more detailed pics now before I drive all the way to meet him. So far he's just sent me pics of the MacBook Pro itself... but I'm requesting pics of the 'About This Mac' section to confirm the serial and hardware specifications.

14. yety0upromised macrumors newbie

I won't tell you if you should buy it or not..just be careful and check it out thoroughly. As far as the warranty goes some of the post above are completely wrong. A new Mac will have a one year limited hardware warranty. You have within that first year to purchase the apple care protection plan which makes the warranty a full 3 years from the original date of purchase. It does not matter who's name the computer is registered in when you need support. They do not ask questions when it comes to phone support or repairs if names don't match. The one year warranty is with the computer/serial number, not a person. Just make sure it functions perfect and spend a decent amount of time with it to make sure there are no issues.

Source of info: I'm sure you can guess already

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just buy it already. Quit playing like you're going to pass this up ;)

I don't really register my machines when I buy them if at all.

16. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I didn't even know that was a thing people did. I don't get AppleCare, I don't even have an iCloud account.

17. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

why would you need the box to buy apple care?
    maybe he just threw out the box?

the box...is...what it is...a box.