Would you buy a car made in China?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jun 27, 2017.

?

Would you buy a car made in China

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Depends on Make

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. tshrimp, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not a Ford guy, but yeah probably.

As long as it is designed and QA'd by a reputable company, I'm good with it being assembled/manufactured wherever.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Nope. Won't buy an Audi made in Mexico either.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

A Ford made in China, the irony. Personally I don't care, half the crap we purchase is made in China anyway.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't really pay attention to where the cars I buy are made so it is a possibility that I might if it was good quality.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I just know VWs are on my personal ban list.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, not anytime soon that's for sure. Not sure what the quality would be like. And would there be backdoors in the software that would let the Chinese government screw with us? I don't know that I would trust that.

9. oneMadRssn, Jun 27, 2017

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Everyone here already does.

Even if the final assembly isn't in China, the majority of the components in most cars are made in China already.

Look at the number of cars that have a total domestic content of under 50%.
    http://kogodbusiness.com/reports/auto-index/

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I liked mine until it a plastic part broke on my brake pedal and I couldn't shift out of park.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Nope. Although, if you're buying a Ford a good percentage of the cars parts are already of Chinese manufacture and have been for many years. If I want a good American made car, I'll buy a Toyota or Honda.

12. Zenithal Suspended

In hindsight, that was your VW's way of telling you it wants to be crushed.

13. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

But isn't a $500 TV different then a $20,000 - $30,000 car? Is there anything you would have an issue with being manufactured in China. I admit the one that always gets me is the American flag that has th "Made in China" sticker.

14. Zenithal Suspended

I would hope that most people are able to differentiate between a TV and a car...

I know you're making a point, but I wanted to lighten the mood. :p

15. tshrimp, Jun 27, 2017

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Not me. Had two Toyota's (Tercel and Corolla)...never again. The up side is the parts department at Toyota knew me by name. It was like Norm walking into Cheers :).

Do you happen to have a link of Ford having a high usage of Chinese parts? I Googled it, but from what I could tell very few car companies use parts from China, and only when they are selling to the Chinese market.

16. Zenithal Suspended

The Tercel was more toy than car. At this rate, Toyota, Honda and BMW will support more American jobs than Detroit.

The way FCA (Chrysler) is going, I suspect they'll be shipping off to China in hoards.

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Of course there are differences. I'm not familiar of too many TV's that are made here in the States. As far as Ford is concerned, I wouldn't care much mostly because my first car was a Ford Probe, and IIRC Ford was sharing the same plant as Mazda since the Mazda MX-6 basically shared the same internals.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This is why I buy Hondas. Over 75% of the content in two I own are domestic.
    Chassis, engine, transmission and final assembly are all done in the US.

19. Zenithal Suspended

Thankfully Mazda isn't with Ford anymore. They suffered under Ford. The newer Mazdas are light years ahead of Ford's vehicles.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The hat is a counterfeit.
    Genuine MAGA hats are made in the USA by a company called Cali-Fame in Los Angles.
    I've seen knock offs from China, Vietnam, and Mexico.

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Ford does the same, but about 20% of any given model is Chinese or other parts. Not sure what this years percentage is but you could easily check on a given cars tag. Usually Cars.com has the AMI ratings out, but I can't find this years, yet.

As for the Toyota's my last one, a 4Runner lasted me 12 years with very few issues, (all normal until the tranny gave out at 12 years). Replaced it with an Alabama made Honda Pilot. Been pretty happy with it. I don't buy "American" companies any more.

22. Zenithal Suspended

From reports I've read, they are made by that company, but their fabric is either made in the US or imported. Sorry.

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Depends on where they are manufactured. I have a 2016 F-150. Final assembly was Kansas City. Engine built in Lima, Ohio; transmission in Livonia, Michigan and other parts sourced from many places. I think you'll find the same with any new domestically produced automobile. At one time Ford did supply a lot of their own parts just like GM did with Delphi, but Ford's parts and glass was spun off into a company called Visteon and Delphi was spun off as well. Those company still provide a lot of parts to their old owners, but also supply parts to all different manufacturers. If you own a domestically produced Honda or Toyota I can promise you it has some Visteon and Delphi parts in it. They have factories all over the world.