Would you buy a MBP without any warranty/AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h1r0ll3r, Jun 8, 2011.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm considering selling my 2010 15" MBP however the original warranty expired last month and I don't have any AppleCare on it. Taking this into consideration, would you be less inclined to buy a laptop like this or would it not matter to you that much? Just trying to see if I would even get any reasonable offers for this as I see lots of people on here do care about AppleCare/warranty. Assuming I would sell, would I be correct in assuming that the offers would be somewhat lower than if I were to have AppleCare on it?

The unit itself is in near perfect shape for a 1 year old unit. There are some wear marks on the keyboard (shiny keys) as well as two tiny dings on the edge of the wrist rest. Here are the specs in case any one is interested;

Thanks.

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

People who really care about having a warranty will get a refurbished unit if they want to save cash.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, I'd be less likely to buy a laptop without Applecare if the one year warranty was expired. But, you can certainly still find a buyer and I bet a fair price.

4. h1r0ll3r thread starter macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Hmm...figured as much. I guess that comfort blanket is gone so my unit is probably a smidge less desirable than a refurb or one with a warranty.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup. But I'm sure you can still find a buyer for it at a reasonable price.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Sure. I've done it plenty of times. The key is in making sure that everything works properly when I buy it--I check everything I can. The reality is that if something is working NOW, the chances of it failing without some external influence are small.

The price will be lower than a machine that still has some warranty left, but it's not a huge difference.

8. KwanMan macrumors regular

i never give a crap about applecare or warranty, waste of money

9. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I believe in AppleCare but this time I didn't buy it for my new MBP. I have a year to make that decision so I'll consider it.

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Personally, I would buy one out of warranty/Applecare but I would expect to pay less for it (like the cost of the Applecare) than a comparable unit with Applecare included.