Would you buy a monitor with a dead pixel?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superman23, Nov 17, 2011.

1. superman23 macrumors regular

I found a 23" Cinema display for sale --- the one that was discontinued before Apple went glossy. Asking price is $350. Owner says it has a dead pixel. i would be able to check it out in person.

OR i can go on ebay and take my chances on a display from a surplus dealer for around $400.

all of these prices actually seem kind of high, though. when you can buy a brand new ASUS 23" for around $175...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

4. hayesk macrumors 65816

The ASUS is going to have less color accuracy, more color-shift, and a narrower field of view. That said, I wouldn't buy a screen knowing it had a dead pixel, but I wouldn't make a big deal over it if I found out after the fact. Also, $350 is a bit much for a used display. I'd pay closer to $200 - 250 for it.

5. superman23 thread starter macrumors regular

$200-250 seems low. i'm guessing Apple's refusal to offer a matte option on the LED displays is causing Apple fanboys (i guess i am one) to drive up the price of old gen Cinema displays.

i did just buy one, around $350 shipped, that is supposed to still be under warranty, has the box, and owner says no dead pixels. so if that is true i'll be happy with it for a few years and see where the thunderbolt displays go.

6. superman23, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

superman23 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Edit. See you bought another one.. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure if you remember the 23" cinema display. You could buy three at the same time and none would match in color or uniformity whether profiled or simply plugged in and run.

$350 is way too much. LCDs grow dimmer over time as they are used. Assuming the display lasts until the backlight fails, when it's new it gets whatever stated brightness at max settings. Run at maximum brightness depending on usage, you're looking at about half that brightness within two years, and 25% brightness within four years assuming this is used frequently at these settings. Lower backlight settings can make it last longer, but this is basically how backlights fade.

If you're looking for color accuracy, you want one with a CCFL backlight, and you'd want to check reviews. You must remember those displays are roughly 2004 technology. By the way I wouldn't pay more than $200 given the age.

9. superman23 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got the 23" Cinema display that i paid $350 for w/ shipping. It included the box, power adapter, and all documentation. Looks in good condition and no dead pixels.

2 things on the image:
    - there is a small amount of yellowing on the left/right edges of the screen, mostly noticeable on white windows. With other colors on those parts of the screen it appears slightly darker but not really noticeable. a search found this has been a very common problem with these displays -- this display was introduced in 2004 and discontinued in 2008 -- does the presence of this problem help me date my display?
    - there is like a crystalized appearance to everything, sort of like my old Dell LCD from 2005. hard to explain but it looks almost like the screen is covered in incredibly small pieces of sharp glass dust which reflect different colors depending on the angle you look at them. so if i'm looking at a white screen and move my head left to right, focusing on the same spot of the screen, there's this rainbow effect. weird.

i've always thought that Mac displays just make Macs look like Macs...something about the colors, how everything is smooth but not blurry. With my Dell LCD it always looked like I had OSX running on a Windows computer (or my brain was just influenced by the Dell logo and cheap plastic bezel). But I still get that Windows feel from this 23" Cinema display. My 20" iMac G4, i think has a nicer LCD, and it looks like a Mac.

so, in conclusion, i am hardly blown away by this LCD, but i did upgrade from 20" to 23", my desk looks cooler, this LCD will hold some value b/c it's Apple, and my Dell will go to Goodwill for a tax write-off.

10. jackrv macrumors 6502

It depends on the price. If they were asking ANYWHERE near full value, the answer would be no.