Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booksbooks, Nov 12, 2017.

?

Would you buy a new 17" MacBook Pro if Apple made one?

1. Yes

57.5%
  2. No

42.5%
  1. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

I'm at a point where I'm interested in a larger screened laptop from Apple. The 15.4" is nice, but even bigger would be great.

My ideal set up would be a 17" MacBook Pro and a 12" MacBook so I have scale and ultra-portable options.

Apple hasn't made a 17" laptop for a long time, but maybe it's time to revisit that? Now that these devices can be made quite thin and light, with very small bezels around the screen, a 17" laptop from Apple may be surprisingly portable.

2. tim1000 macrumors regular

it was a great laptop. had great speakers.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

In a heartbeat.

I don't know if I could get used to the butterfly keyboard, but if not I'd still keep it as a backup for this 17".

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

5. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I might well do. At the moment my 'desktop' is a Lenovo 17 I'm thinking of replacing with an iMac, but a 17 MBP would be attractive for a number of reasons.

6. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

I would. Definitely like the extra screen real estate. Still using a 2009 MBP 17" and also have a late 2013 rMBP 15".

7. benface macrumors regular

YES. It’s the perfect screen size. 15 inch is close but NO CIGAR.

8. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

You thought the 15in trackpad was big, imagine the 17” track pad. It be an iPad mini.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

No because it would start at $4k and have an absolutely unusable keyboard.

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Yes, if they put in 32 gigs of ram and GTX 1070 with gsync.

11. porkrind macrumors regular

porkrind

Nope. I had the last of the 17s that they made and I always regretted the decision. Damn close to impossible to use on a plane in economy class. Few really nice laptop cases were made that fit. Didn't fit in the side cases on my motorcycle.

The extra display area was nice, but 90% of the time I was connected to an external monitor. When I was truly mobile, I was mostly working on email or Word docs; it was still not enough space to be great for design purposes.

I downsized to a 13" which was maybe a little too small for me although I really appreciated the light weight and the ability to jam into a space around a crowded conference table, but I have a 15" now which seems to be my sweet spot.

12. diggy33 macrumors 6502a

diggy33

Absolutely, especially if it was made with a hi-res anti-glare screen instead of retina.

13. AKDub macrumors newbie

It's never going to happen but if it did I would buy in a heartbeat as long as it came with an equivalent spec bump.

A current 15" with an increased footprint to make it a 17" would still fell svelte in my mind compared to the old 17" due to the thinness and reduced bezels. My previous 2 laptops before I moved over to Macs were both 17"ers - a HP 8740W and a Dell M6500 - and they were not just large screens, they were tanks with tank power bricks to match, so a 17" MacBook would be no problem for me.

I think the reason a lot of people don't understand the want for larger laptops is thinking laptop=portability=constantly walking around with the laptop in a bag all day. In my case I would just like the extra power that comes with a 17" that I can unplug, put in a bag, go out to my car and drive to my office or a client. Minimal walking and a screen I can work on all day.

We can dream....

14. Scott Robinson macrumors newbie

Still use the penultimate 17" maxed out specs and after a SSD upgrade runs High Sierra well. Compared to modern 15" it a beast but it has survived a lot .. including dents where is broke my fall from a bike crash. like many "pros" I was gutted when they ended the line. Agree with the previous comment. Portable does have to be light. After effects and Final cut were always fine on at 17" screen .. not so on current models.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I voted yes just to show my support for a 17 inch MacBook Pro again…

But I really would not buy one personally with these current garbage Keyboards on there.

I want nothing to do with these terrible keyboards they currently are making.

16. pmau macrumors 68000

I would buy one with a working keyboard, USB-A, HDMI and Ethernet.

17. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I’ve used, not owned, 17” laptops in the past. They are too big to be mobile and to carry around.
    Might be great if it sits on the same desk 95% of its life. My laptop is with me as I live the house every day and 17” would just be too bulky to be mobile.

18. leman macrumors G3

What other distinguishing characteristic besides being 17" would that laptop have? The 17" Apple made before was not any more powerful or anything than the 15" — and with the advent of HiDPI displays, its decisive advantage — higher resolution — has disappeared.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Absolute resolution isn't the draw, it's the physical canvas being larger (optionally along with more resolution).

That stuff can matter a ton if it's a primary machine, or you are doing mobile editing or working with lots of Excel and any number of other things where a physically larger screen is a huge draw.

I would also add that there'd be lots of room for ports! :)

20. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

It’s a happy medium for many people; between a laptop and dedicated desktop computer. The screen is not too small and it’s not too big. It’s an equilibrium.

21. jerryk macrumors 601

Not me. 15" is about the limit of computer I want to lug around. If I need a bigger display I will just use an external one with a proper mechanical keyboard and mouse.

22. Digger148 macrumors regular

Digger148

Yes, if it has ports for the "here and now" and a truly comfortable keyboard. No, if it would just be a Costco-sized version of the current MBP models.

23. killawat macrumors 65816

Nope. I had the 17". Was great to use with expresscard, but most people would not pay the asking price. A retina 17" would be extremely expensive. Same reason the 17" was killed off in the first place.

24. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

I got an iMac, a 15” and a 12”. Can’t see the point of the 17”. Too big, may as well have a desktop.

25. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

You actually did see the point as you thought out loud there.
    A desktop class experience that is mobile if desirable/needed.