Would you buy a new iMac just for the anti-glare screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcpix, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I know some people don't mind the glossy screen of the iMac, but after reading this forum for awhile, I think it is probably the most frequent complaint.

I'm wondering if the new anti-glare screen will encourage more people to upgrade to the new iMac than just the spec bump of Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0.

I also wonder if the anti-glare screen will lower the value of used 2010 and 2011 iMacs? The new iMacs won't be that much faster, but if the new screen is perceived to be a big improvement, buyers may not want the older glossy screen.

I'm happy with the solution I found for iMac screen glare, but it will be interesting to see what people think about the new anti-glare screen.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

The iMac glossy screen doesn't bother me because it is stationary and inside of my office. However, I wish the Air had a matte screen since it usually travels with me and gets some outside use.

3. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

I think the new anti-glare screen will be a masterful witness to mankind's technological genius. That said, I firmly believe that I will buy not only one, but two iMacs, if they were to make them with anti-glare screens.

To answer your question about the value of the 2010 / 2011 iMacs: of course it will not lower their value, when has the release of a new product ever done that to its predecessors? According to the laws of economics, chemistry and physics the value of the previous versions will most certainly go up.

Now that we have tended to your thirst for knowledge, are you prepared to discuss the importance of increased HGH levels during intermittent fasting?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What new anti-glare screen? No iMacs have anti-glare screens. They're all glossy.

5. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

We are but speaking hypothetically, wandering lustfully through the fields of speculation my friend. I'm sorry this confused you, but the discussion indeed refers to a potential model of the future.

6. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Would you buy a new iMac just for the anti-glare screen?

Yes, yes and yes.

In fact it is the only circumstance where I would buy ANY Apple model - absence of matte/anti-glare means no sale from my needs and perspective.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I own both an ATD (home) and Dell U2711 (work). I prefer the glossy screen of the ATD, over the matte screen of the U2711. If I had less control of lighting... maybe I would feel different. In my environment, and for me, the glossy screen is better.

/Jim

8. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

Anything besides glossy...please

My 2006 iMac is a matte screen. I've been waiting a LONG time for a non-glossy iMac and will be buying the next one no matter what he screen is.

Let's just say my home iMac is feeling sluggish compared to my maxed out Mac Pro at work. :)

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

An Anti-Glare Screen?

Oh Heck Yeah!

I'd buy one immediately, and so would many of my tech friends.

Having relied on & enjoyed anti-glare for years, before all these bloody glossy ones, I'd be thrilled with the change.