Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a 23" iMac

• Yes, ASAP if releases

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • No,

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • A few months after it's release (if released)

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Just trying to get an idea of how much of a market, if released, would it appeal to ?
i know i wouldn't buy it
But what about you

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Nope; 23" is a bit large to throw away when I need to uprgrade my computer.

I still think they should make the monitor removable...like a 'snap on', 'snap off' kind of thing, so it would be usable after the computer became obsolete...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Nope.

For some reason I'm over the current iMac design. It was kind of cool when I got one of the first G5's, but it's worn off.

Hoping for a redesign next year - about time, really.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:

I still think they should make the monitor removable...like a 'snap on', 'snap off' kind of thing, so it would be usable after the computer became obsolete...

A good idea :D you should patent it

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
No..i really like my Mac Mini plus ACD combo..i had planned to replace my Mini with a Mac Pro come x-Mas, but my mini is so fast..i see now reason, and I can update more with a cheaper Mac. I had an iMac, but I like the different options of screens(for me)

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
No I wouldn't buy it.

AvSRoCkCO1067 said:

Totally agree. Apple has pulled a fast-one on the iMac community. They have convinced the user that when it comes time to upgrade their CPU they need to upgrade the monitor as well. What crap!

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
i voted no simply because i dont need it, althouh i suppose if i were to get an iMac this would be it.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
There need to be more options. Like, "I might consider buying one." Which I might. Not right now though. I have to wait for this PC to die first. I like how when I absolutely need a computer to work, it breaks, but when I want it to break it decides to last for a million years.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
extraextra said:
There need to be more options. Like, "I might consider buying one." Which I might. Not right now though. I have to wait for this PC to die first. I like how when I absolutely need a computer to work, it breaks, but when I want it to break it decides to last for a million years.
Yeah but if you were to decide against it, this is to figure how much of a market it will have, not what it may have

iGary said:
Nope.

For some reason I'm over the current iMac design. It was kind of cool when I got one of the first G5's, but it's worn off.

Hoping for a redesign next year - about time, really.

I've never really liked the design, i thought it was a bit of a let down after the imac G4

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
No..... I'm saving my pennies for a Mac Pro, which will be more upgradeable than my current G5 20" iMac.

IF, however, I didn't have this iMac and didn't need some of the features available on the Mac Pro, and wanted/needed a desktop, I would buy the 23" iMac IF it had potential for adding more RAM and IF it were more upgradeable in other ways, too, such as ability to swap hard drives and ability to upgrade the graphics card..... The current situation of only 2 GB RAM on the present iMacs is a bit of a problem and I hope that the next ones (23" or not) do provide more RAM slots and more upgradeability.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
A 23" iMac would be way too big for me so I voted no. Having clicked NO though Apple always seem to fill me with a MUST BUY NOW kind of feeling, so as soon as I see the thing I might need to change my vote to YES.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've already got a 20" iMac Core Duo, so obviously I'm not in the market for a new iMac at the moment. That said, even if I didn't have my current iMac, I don't think I'd go for a 23" iMac. It's too big, and more importantly, likely to be much too expensive for a consumer machine. A 20" screen is plenty for me when weighed against the extra size, weight and (likely) price.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
1920x1200 resolution if it has anything less, I won't buy it =p

But a 23" screen would be nice, as long as the pricepoint remains close to the 20" of now. If they try to tack on $200 or more for 3" more real estate... lame.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
vv-tim said:
1920x1200 resolution if it has anything less, I won't buy it =p

But a 23" screen would be nice, as long as the pricepoint remains close to the 20" of now. If they try to tack on $200 or more for 3" more real estate... lame.

Unless of course they give it other stuff.

I am looking forward to price drops across the whole of the iMac, iPod, Mac Mini line this month.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
No. A 23" iMac is getting into Pro areas. A regular user doesn't really need 23" and a Pro user will probably want the expandability but hey, I'm sure loads of people will buy one. I know a few people that got a 20" iMac because it wasn't *that much* more than a 17". If a 23" iMac is not *that much* more than a 20" then Apple will be onto a winner. A slightly faster processor and a larger hard drive as standard and they'll be laughing. I've got a sneaking suspicion that if they do this, they will keep the chin but they might put an extra hard drive bay in there.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I'd get one if it were upgradeable and some more options for customization were added. I think it will be fast but if you can't upgrade it, it will be outdated fast unlike...MAC PRO! :D (BTW what is a chin on the iMac?)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Its very tempting, but I'll probably end up sticking with the 20".

I'd really like to get a Mac Pro ideally, but its just too expensive (without a monitor and completely downgraded to the cheapest Mac Pro its still more expensive than my ideal iMac.)

If hell freezes over and they release the "Prosumer Headless iMac" (which based on what I've read would probably sell like hotcakes) I'd get it. But I'm not holding out. As soon as a Core 2 Duo falls into the iMac, I'm clicking "Buy Now." And I'd probably be clicking the "Buy Now" underneath the 20".

Where did this 23" iMac rumor come from anyway? I'm still not sure I even believe it. If they don't make one I'd be happy, that means it will hurt less when I buy my 20". :)

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
The 23" iMac would put the price close to Mac Pro right...???

I would say NO...especially since I just picked up the 20" iMac Intel Core Duo this June...!!!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
a year ago i would have bought one in a heartbeat. but Apple didn't make one so i bought a dell 24" monitor for my PB G4.

i'm happy with the setup and would only go for a headless mac now.

either a mini if it comes in a merom version. or if apple releases a conroe mac (unlikely). since i don't think a headless midrange mac will be released i wait till next year and go probably for a mac pro.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
If I suddenly hit a small lotto jackpot and need a desktop in my living room for iTunes and the Internets to complement a Mac Pro in my studio? Sure.

As my sole computer, a monitor to be tossed down the line? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.