iPhone XR Would you buy an iPhone XR for 749 or an iPhone X for 769

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2012
I would go with the X. The improvement going from the a11 to the a12 was not noticeable. The only real feature you miss with the X is the smart HDR but I would prefer the smaller form factor and higher resolution OLED over smart HDR anyday. Everybody is different though so choose the one you want based on features important to you.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If apple is pricing a REFURBISHED iPhone X higher than the iPhone XR then shouldn't it be better overall....?
This doesn’t really make sense. When Apple refurbishes a phone, it entails a quality stringent test to make sure there are no issues, and usually receives a new battery, display, etc. The point is, a refurbished phone is less likely to have issues over a new phone that is mass produced out of a Foxconn factory, because those refurbished phones are overhauled and tested thoroughly.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
This doesn’t really make sense. When Apple refurbishes a phone, it entails a quality stringent test to make sure there are no issues, and usually receives a new battery, display, etc. The point is, a refurbished phone is less likely to have issues over a new phone that is mass produced out of a Foxconn factory, because those refurbished phones are overhauled and tested thoroughly.
Dude, you miss his point. LOL

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
X for me. Check Anandtech’s latest review on the XR for pro’s and con’s. For me, I want as crisp and brilliant display as possible, so it’s no question the X is best between the two when it comes to that metric.

Reactions: Goompa

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Also depends on carrier. For T-Mobile, I would recommend the Xr. Unless the camera is most important for you.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Dude, you miss his point. LOL
Yes I think he did. I wanted to reply but am at a loss of words.
[doublepost=1549411574][/doublepost]People are knocking the X bc it’s older and XR is newer but I mean the X still costs more money my guess is because it’s better(?).

I have an X btw.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Battery life and battery longevity point to the XR...

Don't get an older phone unless it's way cheaper...

Reactions: Glideslope

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
People are knocking the X bc it’s older and XR is newer but I mean the X still costs more money my guess is because it’s better(?).
I see what you’re saying, but who is ‘knocking the X’? I have never read a complaint where someone was ‘knocking’ the X without a valid argument, I have read where others are not in agreeance that the 2017 X is not appropriately priced in Apple’s refurbished store. Do you think average consumer really even knows the differences between OLED versus LCD, ect, I mean they’re highly similar in the sense that they have a similar form factor, they both offer Face ID, wireless charging, etc. Realistically, most customers don’t even know the Apple is even offering the X as a refurbished device, considering the XR is being heavily promoted at this point through carriers and Apple. Consumers make purchasing decisions based off price points and what Apple wants them to see. The major differentiation for the XR, is the battery life.

Reactions: Hieveryone

mikehalloran

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
If apple is pricing a REFURBISHED iPhone X higher than the iPhone XR then shouldn't it be better overall....?
Yep. And it certainly is.

The $769 X has 64GB. They also have an $899 X with 256GB onboard.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-x

With the Refurb Store, if Apple has only one unit to sell, they will list it and, when gone, it's gone till the next one.

I wouldn't have minded saving $250 and going with an X over the Xs that I bought — but that option wasn't available last November. Back then, the difference was only $100 through AT&T. Trust me: I'll live and I'm quite ok with my purchase decision.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
No, it doesn't work that way.

Apple sells the refurbished iPad mini 2 for $339. No one in the right mind would buy that. There are similar examples in the MacBook category.

Apple prices their refurbished items based on what they think consumers will pay.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Displays more content. Main camera miles better.

But the killer feature is the battery. It’s out of this world.

XR it is
Might I add

- Bigger display.
- Better gaming performance, both peak and sustain.
- Newer processor thus longer iOS support.
- More useable portrait mode in low light and also tight spaces.
- Great color options.

Reactions: aleksander.himmel

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I see what you’re saying, but who is ‘knocking the X’? I have never read a complaint where someone was ‘knocking’ the X without a valid argument, I have read where others are not in agreeance that the 2017 X is not appropriately priced in Apple’s refurbished store. Do you think average consumer really even knows the differences between OLED versus LCD, ect, I mean they’re highly similar in the sense that they have a similar form factor, they both offer Face ID, wireless charging, etc. Realistically, most customers don’t even know the Apple is even offering the X as a refurbished device, considering the XR is being heavily promoted at this point through carriers and Apple. Consumers make purchasing decisions based off price points and what Apple wants them to see. The major differentiation for the XR, is the battery life.
Hahahaha as a MacRumors enthusiast who stays up to date, I forget that most people don't even probably know a lot of things.

I would imagine most people would say something like, "I'd pick the XR over the X because you get so many colors!"

LOL
[doublepost=1549435770][/doublepost]
Might I add

- Bigger display.
- Better gaming performance, both peak and sustain.
- Newer processor thus longer iOS support.
- More useable portrait mode in low light and also tight spaces.
- Great color options.
That bigger display is the pretty much the only thing got me feeling some type of way haha.

I know most people say it's BARELY bigger which might be true but my eyes notice the difference and I like that slightly bigger screen a lot.

LK LAW

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
I personally upgraded from my 6+ to the XR with the upgrade plan (EU has way worse value than US :( ). I love the XR, battery life is baffling, love the red color (got a transparent case), it’s super fast compared to the 6+ where I could wait days for some apps to open, I love FaceID more than I thought I would,...
I don’t even get the deal about the screen, it’s super sharp (only with extremely small text you notice it a bit), the colors are amazing, I love the size, very much an upgrade from my 6+
All in all I would very much recommend the XR, definitely because the XS is a bit too small for my liking and the XS is way too expensive (honestly €1.5k for a phone with the storage I need?!).

conteaparis

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
I'd personally get the X if only for the smaller size, but the Xr is probably the better phone (considering the processor and battery). And if I were to get the X, I'd definitely not get a refurbished one from Apple. T-Mobile has the iPhone X new for $749.99. All this is moot since I'm getting a SE lol.

Reactions: Tmacc47