Would you buy the 3rd-gen iPad in a 1st-gen design?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by klover, Mar 15, 2012.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

There is something about the 1G iPad design that I just love. Yes it's thicker and heavier but it just feels like a tank (in a good way). In fact, I can't bear to part with it so I'm keeping it when I get my 3rd gen tomorrow. Maybe it's just me but I also kind of like having it around - it was such a cool experience that I'm kind of nostalgic.

I know it wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective to go backwards but it would definitely buy one.

2. number84 macrumors 6502

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

The sitting flat thing never bothered me, because I use it in a case at an incline. So, yes, if that's what was available, I would buy it.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If it had bigger storage and battery I'd buy it...

5. rocknblogger, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I would buy it too. I also like the feel and heft of the first gen iPad.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That was the one thing that really bugged me about the 1....so know I wouldn't buy the three if it was in that case.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I totally would, if it were as light as the iPad 2. I still enjoy the original design more than the 2 and 3rd gen. Something about it is more refined. Probably how not all the buttons and switches and ports are visible when viewed from the back.

8. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I honestly prefere the design of the original too.

And that probably a tiny part of the reasons I don't yet feel a need to upgrade.

9. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I'm in. I always liked my 1st gen design better, with the controls and speaker on the sides, not the back. But I'm sure I'll get used to the new one, starting tomorrow!

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

I've honestly wanted a incredibly high resolution screen since before the iPad came out...and its finally here!

i wouldn't even care if it was still in the first gen housing...the screen is ALL that matters to me... :)

11. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be quite something if Apple released a commemorative LE version of the iPad 1 with modern components. Presumably it would fairly easy to do.

12. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The original design was higher in quality due to it's unibody roots. The new design is pretty much pressed out and glued together. I wouldn't be surprised to find more scotch tape on the inside. If Apple can make the unibody design again, I would prefer it but it would be extra weight and also would go against the Apple philosophy behind their products.

13. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are the 2/3 gen. IPads not unibody in terms of the rear shell?

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Nope, I prefer the new shell.

The iPad 1 with its curved back makes it feel harder to grip because it is like holding a wedge shape versus holding a flat shape. Which other than the actual weight difference itself, makes iPad 2 feel a whole lot lighter to me.

That plus wobbling while using it on a flat surface.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, there is something about the Original iPad.

There is a quality to it. It felt more like a luxury/exclusive good.

I'm not knocking the new ones, just touting the "feel" of the original.

16. cipad macrumors member

I would buy it even more - IMO the iPad 1 looks better than the iPad 2. Which is more practical, I don't know (and don't care much - the iPad 1 was really fine).

17. iohass macrumors regular

I agree with those who like the original design more. It feels sturdy and does have a luxurious feel to it.

18. jian macrumors regular

I would. I never had the first iPad but I like the design too.
    FYI, although I have iPhone 4 and 4S, I liked my white 3GS a lot more, too bad I sold it because I wanted an upgrade for the retina display...IMO 3GS design+4S speed and retina display would be just the best phone ever.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just curious as to why that's a dealbreaker? I've never once been in a situation where "flat on a table" was a desired feature. When I'm sharing something with another person it's usually handheld and when I'm in a presentation setting it's in an easel position on a conference table. I've never found a need to be standing above it and staring downward as it lays flat on a table (and that's after 2 years in a very broad range of uses).

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I much prefer the way the iPad 2 feels in my hands -- a lot more comfortable to hold in either one hand or both hands, and it looks more graceful and elegant, too. I am happy that the new iPad will be more like the iPad 2 rather than going back to the squarer, flatter body of the first-generation one.

21. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Apple seriously cheapened the build quality of the iPad after the original. Of course, they have form for this — the same thing happened to the iPhone and the iPod.

22. number84 macrumors 6502

^ 2 player fruit ninja, of course. :) I understand why they did it so you can easily grab it off a table but I just don't like it. Although the one thing the original design does much better is the speaker location. I hate how the current design the sound goes away from you.

23. crapbag8 macrumors member

maybe just for stability issues? if you want to set it down, you almost have to put it face down to ensure it doesn't move around.

24. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Compared to the original, the newer iPads really feel like 2 "pieces". The glass around the home button can flex and I've seen a gap between the front panel and rear shell on a few of them.

25. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

The first one is clunky and fat.

The new one is smooth and streamlined.