Would you buy the original iPad if you already have a 4G iPhone/iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aero26, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Aero26 macrumors regular

Got my tax return and where better to bring it than to Steve Jobs. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm going to sell off my MC iPod Touch and update to a 4G touch. So now that I'm equipped with this Facetime/Camera goodness, is there any point buying either of the iPads? No need for iPad 2 as the iPt will already be fully loaded with everything it'd bring. Along with that, it respects a camera connecter so I can use my actual camera. The original iPad: how much more useful is it if you've already got one of the smaller counterparts? I'm a high school student and though I've got a desktop, but being able to have near desktop functionality anywhere is invaluable. iWork looks like it'd be a great help for those after school papers where I'm left stranded...at school. However, using apps like AlwaysOnPC on my current iTouch make me feel as if it's more or less useless as typing papers on inacurrate touch keyboards while under Apple's autocorrect restraints is a massive inconvenience.

What do you think?

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I dont think anyone has an 4G iPhone/iPod Touch, all i have is my iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th Gen

To answer your question.....No

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think it depends entirely on what you'll use it for that wouldn't be satisfied with the ipod or iphone.

With me, the biggest usage is on business trips (I keep no personal stuff on my work computer), ebooks, highlighting/annotating PDFs, light email and web. Very useful in that context and the screen size is a key feature not provided by an iphone/ipod.

High school? I don't know so much. If I remember right, 300 baud modems and Apple ]['s were all the rage. Not likely I can give much advice there. :D

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

4G is often also used to refer to 4th generation. Whether correct or not, it happens.

Are people really not understanding what the OP wrote, or is it amateur comedy hour?

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Do people really need to ask advice on whether to buy something or not?

BTW; most people know it's iPhone 4, not iPhone 4G. In smartphone talk, 4G is something entirely different.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Most folks would understand from context that the OP wasn't referring to 4G data. It wasn't that confusing, was it? Just seems a bit pedantic to point it out without making any effort to assist the OP.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

sooooo...def get a 4g phone.

errr wait, get the iPad

9. Aero26, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Aero26 thread starter macrumors regular

4thGen iPhone is the context in which I made the reference.

Yes, I obviously did as I asked the question. :|
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who's asked if the iPad's feature set is grand enough to justify it's purchase in addition to a smaller but equivalent product. If you wanna derail my question because of it though, be my guest.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How old are you that you are both a HS student and file your taxes.

On an aside, you need to research how much it is like full desktop functionality. iWork may be great but there font issues and such when brought back to the PC side. Honestly it sounds liek you will be fine with the first one, it will save you money and you'll have a year to decide how useful it really is. Its quite possible that you will always be fine staying one generation old; this is fiscally very smart.

11. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I have a iphone 4 ( 4 of them between the kids and me actually!)

I have no need for cameras on a ipad that cant take high resolution pics, and never use facetime on the phones we currently have.

When I saw the "upgrade" ipad 2 I took the money I had planned on spending on it and bought 2 of the original ipads. getting 2 refurbed ipads means that OH and the kids get to play with one and mine is all mine :cool:

I loved the presentation for the ipad2, it was well done, but they just didnt make any improvements that impressed me enough to spend an additional 150 bucks on a product that will be behind every other tablet on the market in a year IMO... ( you can disagree of course, but the only thing right now is the Zoom IMO, and I bet the other companies are going to one up both the ipad and zoom)

Anyway, I hope they get better specs for the ipad3, and I will be happy with the "old" ipad for a year while they work on that.

12. MrMinor macrumors 6502

Wow some of you are really too anal about using the exact right terminology. Get over yourselves. It was obvious what the OP meant.

I have both the iPhone 4 and iPad. I love them both and use them both for different things. I love watching videos on my iPad, but not so much on my iPhone. I have the wifi only iPad so my iPhone is my Internet connection when I am out on the go. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then get an iPad. You will love it and will still use your iPhone too.

13. deeddawg, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Anyone with taxable income (in the US) has to file a tax return. Although there are employment laws dictating at what ages kids can work certain jobs types, there's no minimum age for filing a tax return AFAIK. If the person is working for an employer, that employer is required to report income and withhold taxes. So pretty much any high school student who works has to file a tax return. Both of my kids have had to do so well before 18.

With that said, the total income is usually at a level where all of the withholdings come back as a refund.

14. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Personally I have an iPhone 4, an iMac, and my fiancé has a MacBook pro. So I decided to save some money and buy an iPad. I will wait for the iPad 3 when they really upgrade it. For now I'm enjoying my iPad 1. Just bought it on friday and love it.