Would you buy/wait for the 5.5" iPhone 6 over the 4.7" if it had premium features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkel777, Sep 5, 2014.


Would you buy/wait for the 5.5" iPhone 6 over the 4.7" if it had premium features?

  1. Yes

    44 vote(s)
  2. No

    16 vote(s)
  3. Maybe/Undecided

    23 vote(s)
  1. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

    May 10, 2014
    Also, do you think it's "fair" for Apple to force a bigger screen on consumers if they want premium features?

    Is a bigger screen size considered a premium feature?

    Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

    Personally, I think I'd wait for the 5.5" if it had premium features over the 4.7". But we'll have to see what Apple announces on Sept. 9th.
  2. macs4nw macrumors 601


    Every manufacturer is free to do as they think is in their best interest, as far as adding features to their products is concerned, just as every consumer is free to decide whether to buy those products.

    Adding premium features to one item is a way for manufacturers in general, to entice people to pony up for more expensive models, and Apple is no different of course. Is it 'fair'? Of course it's fair; no one forces us to buy either model, we vote with our wallets.

    Keep in mind that after accounting for a larger battery to power a larger screen, they still may have slightly more room available for some additional features that would be difficult to fit into a smaller enclosure. There is of course the better camera with OIS, and some rumors a while back about a more powerful processor for the (rumored) 5.5" iPhone.

    Personally I'm definitely leaning towards the 5.5, if for no other reason than the fact that it's nicely positioned to eliminate eventually the iPad Mini for a simplified line-up with our MBA and iMac, but I have to admit the larger screen as well as that OIS intrigue me.
  3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040


    Jul 19, 2013
    Depends. Is the wait 1 month or 6? That makes all the difference to me.
  4. Izauze macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2013
    I hope the 5.5" isn't treated as the sole premium phone in the lineup. They have an opportunity here to have TWO simultaneous premium phones that people equally love if they play their cards right.

    Basically, the 5.5" should have the extras that make sense for a bigger phone (slightly more processing power and battery to accommodate the screen itself), but no more.
  5. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    1. strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement.
    2. coercion or compulsion, especially with the use or threat of violence.

    I think if Apple started "forcing" customers to upgrade it would be grounds for a lawsuit and a matter for the authorities.

    Hope that day never comes.
  6. Izauze macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2013
    You apparently missed the "if" clause in that sentence.
  7. cfedu Suspended


    Mar 8, 2009
    If it happens and you are upset, vote with your wallet. It's not a bad decision if you keep buying iPhones. I'm not going to cry about OIS but if the 6 comes with 1GB ram that may be a dealbreaker.
  8. RyanG macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    Not sure if I would. My work phone is a Samsung S5 and the size is extremely annoying in pockets (I wear loose fit khaki's/jeans; not skinny) and not very portable.

    The screen is great but portability trade-off is rough.
  9. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 10, 2014
    I agree 100%. It's fair if the consumers think it's fair. Vote with the wallet.

    That's my thinking for the 5.5" as well. I've never had an iPad, so a phablet iPhone could be a nice compromise.

    Absolutely. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll be a month wait. If so, then I'll probably wait.

    Good point. For example, the iPad mini w/ retina display and iPad Air. Both have nearly identical specs in terms of processing power. One is neither "premium" over the other; they just have differing screen sizes. I'm hoping Apple does something similar with the two iPhone 6 models.

    I couldn't think of a better word... :rolleyes:

    But yes, the choice is always with the consumer.


    That's the one thing I'm worried about. I'll most likely throw some kind of slim case on, which will add even more bulk to an already large phone.
  10. cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    It depends - if the delay is a month, then quite possibly if it has a higher PPI screen and OIS. More than a month would really try my patience :p
  11. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I'm one who usually wants instant gratification but I'm happy with my 5c, so I don't need a thinner 4.7" iPhone but rather I want a larger one. I'll wait, but only if the price is right. If its too expensive I'll not buy it.
  12. youknome macrumors 6502a


    Nov 22, 2010
    If it's over a month wait then no.

    I'm currently using the 3GS and it's already annoying me. So I would not want to wait any longer than a month.
  13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    The wait for the device is really the deal breaker...

    If both the 4.7" and 5.5" devices go on sale at the same time, then I can compare them both and get the one I like the best although to be honest, I pretty much decided on the 4.7 version from the off as I have my Nexus 7 if I need anything a bit bigger.

    A bigger screen isn't really a premium feature, but it is something that needs to happen as the market changes. For every 1 person that wants the same 4" screen (or smaller) there are probably at least 10 who want a bigger one, so it makes sense to give the customers what they want. Not forgetting the 5C (6C maybe?) or 5S will continue in one form or another when the larger 6 is released.
  14. mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Feb 6, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have been on contract for two years I have already proven I can wait. Should the 5.5" get delayed. It has its advantages for instance I can go to a cheaper plan while i wait, and besides a 5.5" screen is an advantage in its own when watching movies on the go, i remember the vast difference when i made the jump from a iPhone 4 screen to a iPhone 5 screen. Furthermore should the 128gb storage become only available in the 5.5" model this will be a deal breaker for app hungry person like myself.
  15. Appl3FTW macrumors 603


    Nov 15, 2012
    I voted no because I'll just buy the 4.7 and then buy the 5.5 afterwards.
  16. willmtaylor macrumors G3


    Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State
    No. My iPhone 5 suits me just fine and is too tall at times. 4.7" will do, but I simply don't see myself getting the larger, no matter the specs.
  17. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000


    Jun 24, 2010
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Why make it an either or issue? Get both. I'll be doing just that, although not because I have to have both sizes, but because I need both for work. That is, if there are actually two different sizes.
  18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Dec 30, 2010
    What about those that want the current size with premium features?

    I really believe if the iphone had started at 5.5, everyone would be asking for a 4" now.
  19. techspin macrumors 6502a

    Jul 21, 2014
    I hope the camera features will be equal in both sizes, at least. Since they will both poke out of the phone :)
  20. stuffradio macrumors 65816

    Mar 17, 2009
    Any downgraded feature in a 4.7" over the 5.5" is 1 million x better than the iPhone 4 I have right now. I'd be quite happy with 4.7, though I want 5.5.
  21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

    Hey Jude

    May 9, 2008
    If both phones are not released at the time time, I am waiting regardless of feature-set. I want time to evaluate each offering, and make an informed decision. I am on an iPhone 4s, so I tend to keep my phones longer than most posters here, so want to ensure that I have made the best purchase for my needs.

Share This Page