Would you choose contract expiration on each New model or S model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Pearl, Sep 27, 2012.

1. The Pearl macrumors newbie

Assuming you don't purchase an unsubsindized phone each year and you're under a 2 yr. contract.

Would you prefer your contract to expire with the introduction of each new model with major improvements or the S model with minor improvements?

My Verizon contract expires in April 2013 which will give me the option to upgrade in Dec. 2012, actually 20 months.

So if I upgrade to iPhone 5 in Dec. 2012 that would put eligable to upgrade again in September of 2014, actually 20 months.

This would put me in the 2 yr. rotation cycle of each New phone reveal.

If I don't upgrade in Dec. 2012 and wait for iPhone 5s, probably Sept. 2013, I would then follow the 2 yr. S model rotation.

Your thoughts, thanks.

2. Jay7872 macrumors newbie

honestly its your personal preference. If you want to be part of the group that experiences the dramatic redesigns, and addition of "revolutionary" features, then go with the New Model structure, if you want the improved versions, typically much faster and updated features (more polished) with a slight chance of an addition of a new feature or two, go with the "S" series

3. monkor macrumors regular

That's a really good question, but as the poster before me said and summed up greatly: it's personal preference. Personally, after having used the 5 from a friend, I would love to have that LTE. It's also incredibly fast, which is a nice touch (though not as substantially noticed during everyday use for me). The connection speed difference is incredible compared to my 4S. But would I blow a wad of dough on it rather than just wait for an upgrade? No. Just because the 5 is released does not render my phone unusable or ancient. If there were something revolutionary about the 5, yes. But I have an Android with LTE that's strictly for surfing the web while away from an internet connection. Again, personal preference though.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Agreed.

Some people think it is insane to get a new phone every year. There are millions that are still on the 3 and 3g and even the 4. And I am sure there are lots with the original.

And then there is the half of all cell users that are not using ANY smart phone.

5. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

I have a slight obsession so I get it every year haha. If you wanted to do that, just sell it on Craigslist. I usually bring in enough selling it to cover the new phone and a few times I've even had some money left over.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Definitely new model, which is the contract expiration I am on now :). The 4S did have cool features like Siri, and a better camera, but the major updates seem to go for the "major models"-- Case in point below:

2007- Original iPhone--INTRO
    2008- iPhone 3G-> 3G Connectivity, GPS, and redesign
    2009- iPhone 3GS-> Spec bump.
    2010- iPhone 4 -> FaceTime
    2011- iPhone 4S-> Spec bump and Siri.
    2012- iPhone 5-> LTE Connectivity, redesign, Larger display

7. The Pearl thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'll upgrade in Dec. which will put me on a 2 yr. rotation cycle with each New Model.