Would you consider not buying the iPhone 4G due to the Sucides at Foxconn?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sealab2021, May 24, 2010.

?

Would you consider not buying the iPhone 4G because of the (8+) sucides at Foxconn?

1. Yes, I am not feeling good about supporting all of this with my money.

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Maybe, It's hard to tell where Apple's responsibility in all of this starts and ends.

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. No, I don't see the point in not buying an iPhone as a result of all of this.

142 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. sealab2021 macrumors member

Hi All,

I was wondering what others are thinking due to the news reports of Foxconn's serial sucides. For those who don't know, Foxconn is Apple's sole-source manufacture, manufacuring everything from iPhones to iPads to iMacs and Macbooks.

I just recently read about all this myself, but when I did, I'm horrified, and I can't get it out of my mind.

Engadget's article can be seen here http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/the-fate-of-a-generation-of-workers-foxconn-undercover-fully-tr/

I really wanted the new iPhone, too.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is this electronic greed taking people's lives?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Apple are not the only people that use Foxconn.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It is not on a large enough scale to warrant a response by anyone but a corporate apology.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

There's no proof that Apple is responsible. Many different occupations can suffer from pressure and stress, not just factory workers.

6. stezza333 macrumors regular

This is silly. You might as well stop buying electronics full stop. Foxconn supply to a heap of big companies.

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm more horrified by the BP oil spill. That's horrifying, man!

8. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes, I'm no longer going to buy gas and will bike everyday to work for 20 miles.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The OP’s probably also horrified that Ronald McDonald does ads for McDonalds. The horror!!!

10. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

China's society and labor laws are totally different than the western world. Would you not buy a Dell, HP, Xbox, Wii, PS3, Motorola, or just about any other major electronic brand because Foxconn makes products for just about every electronic company out there.

11. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I voted no, but was surprised to see the results.

Foxconn needs to fix whats going on, or the government in the country where Foxconn is.

I do believe Apple does have a part in this all, Apple has the ability to help improve things, and it should.

We all still eat Hamburgers & Chicken after watching the movie Food inc.

Death is a serious thing, I don't take this news lightly, its real and serious.

But sadly It has not convinced me not to get the new iPhone. Only if it was proved something specific about the new phone caused this. Look at the cheap computers and tv's we buy, labor conditions in tv factories have to be many times worse, considering how insanely cheap a lcd tv is now days.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apple chooses which companies to contract. I'm sure they aren't in the dark about the conditions the workers live in.
    Have you not seen the Foxconn environment?
    There's some sanity.

People aren't chickens and cows.
    One suicide was likely a direct result of a worker losing an iPhone 4 prototype.
    I feel like we as Americans (or whatever your nationality is) should be more vocal to the companies we buy products for about the conditions we expect them to uphold pertaining to the treatment of those making their products.

13. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I was talking more specifically about the horrible conditions in the meat factories, long over time, and exposure to meat bacteria, and having to scrape the **** out of a dead cow. They have to truck the workers in from several hours out, because no one in the local town is willing to even work at the factory after seeing what it was like when they went to work there.

(I personally after seeing that movie, eat no red meat, and have cut my normal meat consumption by more than ~2/3rd's.) (but again, sadly not 100%)

I can't control if someone looses the phone, but we can control the working conditions. It's sad to see so much pressure on someone whom looses a device. But they had to know that they were dealing with a high profile thing. If the phone was stolen from them, than thats a different deal.

It's a tough call it really is.

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I am well aware of the conditions and such, but all Apple can do is send some people there to take care/improve the situation. Not all blame can be put on Apple, and they aren't the only company that utilize Foxconn's work.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My thoughts exactly. How high and mighty we tend to feel until Apple releases something new. While I don't doubt Apple is a contributing factor to all of this I'm also not delusional enough to think it starts and stops with just Apple.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It starts with Foxconn and it ends with those who contract Foxconn. While it might not just be Apple's fault, they are one to blame out of many. That doesn't mean they should somehow take less blame. They know what is going on at Foxconn far better than we do. It shouldn't take consumers getting pissed about poor living conditions for Apple (and other electronics companies) to put pressure on Foxconn. Giving Apple (and the other companies) our feedback and opinions on Foxconn should be the first step. Second would be to boycott their products.

The more coverage places like Foxconn gets, the better.

17. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

????

can someone give cliff notes? i'm not reading all that {admitted laziness}

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear that...

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Good luck with that.

20. rkswat macrumors regular

Ummmm.... yeah...... it's called sarcasm :rolleyes:

Hell, if I could get an iPhone a lot cheaper I would push a few off the ledge ;)

So by OP's logic we need to start keeping track of all product sold to see how many suicides they have had in the company so we can boycott said company. Ill take auto industry, now we need a few more thousand people to take other industries and we can get going. We'll meet up at my house to organize!

21. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

You know, I don't particularly like the way cows are slaughtered on a day to day basis, but I sure luhhz meh a burgarrrrr.

22. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Today, I was working at Foxconn making iPhones. I'm going to kill myself, FML.

YDI for killing yourself over work.

23. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Hopefully less foxcomm employees to pay will mean a cheaper iPhone. Even if it's like 5 cents cheaper I'd be happy.

24. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Apple would use an American company and then let the Chinese employees starve to death. This is not a joke. :(