Would you Ebay, Amazon, or Craigslist an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sixxmum, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Just trying to decide what to do with this iPhone 4. I know each has drawbacks.

2. morphineseason macrumors regular

I'm going the eBay Instant Sale route with my iPhone 4. I get $200 for the 32gb AT&T iPhone 4, which is good enough for me. They pay for the shipping label, and it's pretty hassle free.

3. bisnicks macrumors regular

I've used eBay and Craigslist.

Just do your research, don't be stupid, and meet in public.

As far as eBay, do your research, don't be stupid, and describe your item accurately.

4. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

If you set your bid on eBay for a certain amount, make sure you click to receive payment now. I did an auction type bid on eBay for my phone and its going on 3 days now and the winning bidder has yet to pay.

5. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

I suggest using craigslist and meet inside a public location for safety.

6. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

Only use Gazelle (or another trade in only service) if you want the lowest price possible. If high price is one of your goals stick to Amazon or eBay instant. Both quote the highest prices and are the most reputable. As long as you don't exaggerate your phones condition you will have no issues with the two above.

7. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

8. scotsmith0718 macrumors newbie

Gamestop

I sold my 4s 64gb ATT to Gamestop for $320 cash. They would have given me $400 in store credit (but I'm not a gamer). That was more than Gazelle was offering and I didn't have to mail it away and wait for payment. I also read today that the US Postal Service is buying them just to throw another option out there.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/09/24/us-postal-service-offers-cash-for-iphones/

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

Neither.

I'd post it on Facebook and just let people I know know that I have an iPhone for sale.

That's been working fine for me. If possible I prefer to sell to people I know.

10. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Amazon's trade-in program is by far the best. They give you way more money than Gazelle and other trade-in company's. Amazon gives you amazon credit instead of cash, but if you're like me, that isn't a problem since I use amazon for a lot of my shopping. Yes, you might be able to get more money from somewhere like ebay, but amazon is a lot easier to do than ebay.

I did that too, but no one wanted my 4S :(
    I would try and sell it to friends/family first, and if that fails, use amazon.

11. BERRYP186 macrumors member

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Traded my 4S and got 400 bucks credit from Amazon.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I went with craigslist and got almost double of what Gazelle was offering me for my iPhone 4... Gazelle offered $174 for my mint condition AT&T 4 unlocked... On craigslist I got $325.... I put it up and had offers within 30 minutes. I dont think gazelle cares whether its unlocked or not, whereas you can get a little more value on craigslist for that.

14. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

I went with ebay and sold a 32gb for $365. Could have gotten $400 from Amazon, but preferred the cash as I already have Amazon GC credit.

15. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Craigslist - You get cash, slightly less than you would get on eBay but you get your money instantly and a decent amount and don't have to deal with the sky high eBay/Paypal fees or scamming buyers. Don't be stupid about where you meet. Do inside a mall or major retail store.

Amazon - You get a decent amount as well but it's Amazon credit. Could be as good as cash if you're a big time Amazon shopper like myself. Another option is to sell it in their marketplace yourself. You just have to wait for the money to transfer to your bank account.

eBay - Selling it yourself on eBay nets you the highest amount possible even after fees due to the massive number of buyers on the site. You take the risk of the item being returned for 'not as described' or possible fraudulent chargebacks via Paypal. You can also use their 'instant sale' but I've heard many reports of them quoting people a high price and then giving a new much lower quote once they have actually received the item. They also make it difficult to get in touch with them if you want to decline the offer and get your phone back. Be weary.

Gazelle and other 'Instant Sale' Sites - I wouldn't sell mine here unless you're really afraid to sell anywhere else and don't care how much you get for your device. You can usually get almost double what they quote you if you just sold it elsewhere. Hell for some of the prices they're giving people '$250 for a 32GB 4S' you could sell your phone in 5 minutes with that low of a price on Craigslist.

Personally I would use Craigslist since it's the easiest and fastest way to sell it while still making a decent profit. Take good pictures and put your contact number (I use my Google Voice number instead of my real one) and you'll get a legit buyer pretty soon.

16. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

I've done CraigsList, with it noted in the ad that I'll meet the buyer at a local Verizon/AT&T store (have had both) "so you'll be able to confirm operability, etc immediately". Protects both of us.

17. crobbins macrumors 6502

I like Amazon a great deal. I am always buying things on there so I didn't mind the credit. I received 410 dollars for my 16GB 4s. I was pretty pleased!

18. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I don't want to mess with selling my phone, so Amazon has the best offer for my iPhone 4. Sure, I get paid in an Amazon gift certificate, but I know it will get used for Christmas! :D

19. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I sold all 4 of my 16GB iPhone 4S's for $415 each through Amazon and it worked flawlessly... they paid for shipping -- took 2 days for them to receive it -- two days for them to process it -- had all the credits added to my account immediately after processing. The best value and most easy if you don't mind getting Amazon credits.

20. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it might be Amazon.

21. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

My experience differs with yours on craigslist and ebay. I tend to make more from craigslist because ebay doesn't take a cut of the final price.

22. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Sold my 16gb 4s on eBay for 350 the winning bidder paid right away got instant payment through PayPal! Just be accurate, have real pics n set a reserve for the min u would accept for ya phone!

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T just unlocked my 64GB 4S so I'm putting it up on CL tonight or tomorrow.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've been going with Craigslist.

I've used eBay in the past but they delay you getting your money until they can verify that the buyer received the item. They have done this to me with every MacBook and iPhone I have ever sold and I am not the only one. I once had nearly $3,000 tied up that I could not touch until eBay verified the buyers got both Macs and two iPhones.