Would you end "Obamacare" if you had the power?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 21, 2013.

?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2013.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. PracticalMac, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Simple question, basically asking if you agree with what "Republican" party wants to do.

Not looking for a discussion until poll closes in a week.

(EDIT: Poll is NOT flawed. It simply reflects the Republican agenda to repeal / end Obamacare with nothing to replace it. In effect going to back to what it was before.)
    (Don't think too deep in this question. It's simply what is being proposed).

2. citizenzen Suspended

Tricky question.

Personally, I would end Obamacare and institute universal healthcare.

But that really isn't what you were asking in your poll, so I voted no.

Obamacare is at least a positive step forward, even if it's not my preferred solution.

[sorry I didn't wait before saying something]

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Your question is not precise enough.

If by removing it, you mean going back to old system then no.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you mean ending insurance companies rein of terror then yes. We need a system that helps not makes things worse.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I agree with that the poll is flawed. By ending it do you mean going back to the way things were? Or am I allowed to end it and implement single payer in its place?

P-Worm

6. malman89, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

malman89 macrumors 68000

Basically this and call it a /thread. Game over.

It's not the ideal choice, but a small step in sort of the right direction. Plus the CBO says it will lower the deficit by a few hundred million versus repealing it, so even if you're blind only to the dollars and cents, it still makes sense.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This thread, and others discussing the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) assume that all the respondents are fully versant in all the elements and complexities of the health care act.

It is an amazingly complex set of changes, and I certainly would not claim anything other than a superficial knowledge of the provisions of the law. Being less than fully informed, I would not respond since my opinion would be a poorly informed one.

As unpopular as it may be, I would suggest that unless one has fully acquainted her/him self with the many provisions of the Act, one should consider not posting an ill informed, or uninformed, opinion.

For those who have taken the time and effort to inform themselves beyond some superficial knowledge level...I would honestly look forward to reading their opinions and the rationale for the position they take.

8. citizenzen Suspended

Is there any issue here in PRSI where the members discussing it are fully acquainted and informed? It seems like a steep price of admission to require that level of knowledge.

Humans communicate and share their opinions regardless of the level of information they possess. I actually enjoy the process of sifting through the misinformation, half-truths and diverse points of view in the hope of unearthing a few nuggets of wisdom and truth.

I find that I'm rarely disappointed.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Nope, Poll is NOT flawed.

This is what the "Republicans" want to do, repeal it and go back to what is was before, as they offer no alternative at all.

Despite its flaws, Obamacare is a significant improvement for healthcare in USA.

----------

I am not fully versed myself, but what I do know, despite the negative sides, it offers benefits.

• Cannot deny existing condition (can switch insurance companies without fear of denial)
    • Everyone has insurance to some degree, so emergency rooms will not be packed with people seeking help with the common cold.
    • Medical cannot overchange for administration fees, capped (at a still gracious) 20% of bill.
    • Insurance assistance to those who cannot afford it ("health" stamps, like food stamps).
    • More competitive insurance market (hopefully, see how it works out).
    • others

Not saying its anywhere close to perfect, but the foundation seems really good. room for improvement.

10. citizenzen Suspended

I wouldn't sweat it.

One of the favorite things to do in PRSI is complain about the quality of polls.

Dude. It's not Gallup.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Curious, what is your idea of universal healthcare, perhaps detail how its different from ACA.

One thought I had was premiums based solely on gender and age, with the only variable on fitness.
    Some kind of exercise credit would be highly desirable.

----------

Just a Gallup wanna be. :rolleyes::p

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you enjoy sifting through misinformation and half-truths, you must love the Fox News Channel...

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Universal Healthcare, like the NHS and the single-payer system, provides everybody with healthcare. It doesn't just tell you to get healthcare, it provides you with a way of getting it if you can't afford it. In other words:

Healthcare for everyone.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

A better approach to this poll would be:

A) Reformulate the question as: Would you end Obamacare and go back to the old system if you had the power?

B) Add more choices like: Yes if we can find a better system than Obamacare and the previous one.

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Nope, cannot.

The "Republicans" only say end Obamacare.
    They neither say go back to the old way (it is assumed), nor offer an alternative.

16. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Well we don't want to be like them now. Let's not go to their level.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So far, there have been 3 votes to end the aca, but none of those people seem to want to comment.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The affordable care act will cost everyone more who have insurance now. It is costing the hospitals a fortune just to put it into place.

Anytime our govt gets involved with anything means higher costs for the U.S. taxpayer.

Stop fooling yourself if you think the jerks in washington can do a better job at managing your health care.

Govt is the problem not the solution...over and over and over again. When will we ever learn this.

19. zin macrumors 6502

By that logic places where the government has significantly more involvement in health care than the U.S., such as the UK, Canada, Australia, France, etc., all should have much higher healthcare costs. They don't.

20. citizenzen Suspended

Healthcare costs before Obamacare were high and rising. Your statement would have be true even if the ACA had not been passed.

This require a source. Thank you.

Nations with universal healthcare have demonstrated that healthcare costs can be lower when the government gets involved. Compare below the amount being spent on healthcare in both per capita and percent of GDP. The U.S. is well higher than the other nations. Please note that this data is from 2010, before Obamacare could have any impact.

If government run healthcare equals higher costs, you need to explain the figures above.

This is an empty talking point. When will you ever learn this?

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Canada, Vermont, Massachusetts, and 90% of western European countries would beg to disagree. Your taxes will not go up at all due to ACA, why would it, you're not getting gov't funded insurance that's singer payer. Oh and btw singer payer will merely shift the cost of your premiums into your taxes, only at a much smaller value since taxes depend on income, so your insurance payment thus depends on income, wow what a terrible system :rolleyes:. If you already have insurance right now, the ACA does not affect you at all. Costing a fortune for hospitals to put it into place? Why because there will be cheaper alternatives out there? Don't spread lies and misinformation without at least a fake source.

22. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I have a hard time with this. No matter where I look I cant find info that is not bias in any way. People I know tell me about premiums that are rising but I have not seen that.
    I do belief people need healthcare but does it need to be force fed to them? Im confused by the whole thing and don't understand how it will affect me as I have healthcare already. So I did not vote as i am grossly under-informed or misinformed at best.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

People here seem to forget who is running this program,Washington just as they seem to forget who runs Washington the "Banksters".
    Washington is not a Canada,France or Germany. To Allow these guys in Washington control over anything let alone our health care system is pure folly.

Healthcare should be ran by patients,doctors and hospitals, instead we are letting Bureaucrats,Politicians(Lawyers) and Insurance companies run it. Yeah they will have our best interests at hand:rolleyes: I dont see it, lets hope im wrong.

24. citizenzen Suspended

I would have thought that the wealthy and "banksters" likewise control things in Canada, France or Germany.

If not, what are the policies in those countries that prevent that from occurring?

Which of those policies would you support with your vote here in the U.S.?

Which candidates have you supported who would put forth such policies?

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

insurance companies have been "running" healthcare for several decades now. Patients, doctors and especially hospitals do what the insurance companies tell them they're allowed to do if they want to get paid.

Getting rid of obamacare wouldn't do anything to change the dominance of the insurance companies over our healthcare.