Would you find a screen protector/case necessary on an iPhone covered by AC+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 21, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

For the price my mom paid for this otterbox defender I could have just got another phone if I dropped and broke it. The gorilla glass 2 is afaik scratch and fingerprint resistant.

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

If you like to keep it clean and somewhat safe for resale later on, than yes, to a screen protector and bumper at least. Screen is not absolutely scratch resistant as testified by a few individuals no matter if its true it has Gorilla glass. And its nice to have AppleCare + as a back up in case I do mess up and break it.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

AC+ doesn't cover scratches, or wear and tear.

If you don't mind having a scratched up phone then don't cover it. AC+ will not replace it with only that issue.

4. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

well it's "real world" scratch resistant. They also replace for cosmetic damages now so if you screw up and your bumper is a little dented you can either take the hit now or wait to see if your phone gets any more damage.
    I just don't see the point in dropping $50 on a case when the same amount of money gets me a brand new phone

5. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

My wife "tested" AC ; worked well but one of two shots is gone

image.jpg

So for sure we are in market for some good full body armor :eek: in addition to AC ; suggestions ?

6. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you could always just "accidentally" drop it onto concrete, knowing my luck the screen still wouldn't break, I always manage to get these "indestructible" iPhones.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Why not? They would rather you drop it in a pool before bringing it in?

____

Also how much did you spend on the defender? AppleCare + is $100 plus $50 to use if broken, so $150. I always get my cases off of Amazon and my otterbox commuter was only $17 for my 4S last year.

for my next iphone, i may consider AppleCare + because I dont want to baby my phone. But i want a new looking phone by the time i put it on my shelf :p but $150 just to "not baby it" is a bit steep for me.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Technically that would be accidental damage. And if someone one wanted to use one of their 2 $50 replacements that's up to them. Who would stop you?

9. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

technically you have 2 phones left, this one and the next one lol. So maybe be a little careful, then when it comes around to the next iPhone release or around the time for major resale value "accidentally" drop that one if it's banged up and get a new one using your last shot

10. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

around $50 but my mom gets a discount because she works for the state so it came to 37.5, rounded up to $40. It was at the AT&T store even though I have Verizon now, awkward conversation when they asked who my service provider was lmao sorry AT&T I had to leave you guys.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If you don't have any protection on the phone it will always have some scratches on it. Many are not happy with that. AC+ is not really related to that as it does not cover normal wear and tear.

If you want to break your phone every time you scratch it that's not going to work for long....

12. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i have the white model so my phone doesn't really get scratches but if it got to the point where it became an eyesore to look at my phone regardless of a case or not I would break it, I don't like using cases when I'm at home or in general.

13. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Then drop it

14. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

AC+ works great, but if you break your phone you have to go through the time and hassle of having it replaced and restoring your data. A case works instantly ;)