Would you get a Apple Time Capsule 2TB or a iPad 16gb Wi-fi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Jun 22, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the reason this is in the macbook pro thread is that i have a macbook pro.

i got a discount for these 2 devices here.

time capsule would be $224 with discount

iPad 16gb would be 394 with discount, 125 dollars off of $519.

i was originally going to get the time capsule until i found out this works for ipads too. i already have a macbook pro so im not sure if its worth the extra money for an ipad.

the time capsule seems nice as they were just updated yesterday. i already have a 500 gb WD portable hard drive, but its more used to backup and carry stuff around, the time capsule has wifi and LOTS of more capcity.

what do you guys think?

2. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

The iPad is great as an ebook-reader, especially when it comes to extensive user-manuals.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you have kids, having a couple movies stored on an ipad is a total miracle-worker in long car ride or airplane/airport situation. Parents are so spoiled these day:D

I don't have an ipad but my Dad borrowed us his for our last trip and it was a godsend.

4. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

nope, no kids, im a student going into first year university this fall lol

5. KwanMan macrumors regular

6. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Having all your notes digitized and reviewed on the iPad can be a godsend. No more paper mess.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I would just make sure your uni allows you to set up your own wireless network.

Not all of them do, I know the school I went to (Colorado State University) we couldn't set up a wireless network in the dorm, so if that's the case a time capsule would basically be completely useless to you for an entire year.

8. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

iPad 2 for sure.

I get the core Apple products, not the stuff they overcharge like crazy. You can get External Hard Drives (for WAY less) that hook up through USB (I know, not wireless kinda sucks) and use that for Time Machine.

I got 1TB two years ago on Black Friday for $50 by Western Digital.
    Check some out on Amazon.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

not saying time machine isn't overpriced, but it is a wireless router as well as a 2tb hard drive. It also allows you to do wireless time machine backups, the only other way to do this is through some NAS devices like the laCie 2Big Network 2, which actually is more expensive than the time machine starting out at $315 for 2TB, and it doesn't include the router.

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So you need the wireless router as well? I'm not too educated on the Time Capsule, isn't just a hard drive and something that picks up wireless internet and then you hook up to it for both? Why do you need 2 routers?

Edit - Okay I get it. Yeah I already have a wireless router (through FiOs) and hook up to it. So you would be using it as your main router and hard drive. If you can get a free wireless router from your service provider you should just buy a different HD. But if you need both you should go with the 2TB ;)

11. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

well i jsut want it to backup my macbook pro

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well obviously if you can get a free router that's cool, but those routers have basic functions. The time machine has a lot of functions, like dual band, guest accounts, etc. Those features might not be for everyone, but some people want or need them.

Also, you can't just plug in a hard drive to your router and have it work wirelessly with time machine on your mac, it has to be a specific NAS device.

If you don't care about wireless backup though, a usb 2tb drive is very cheap and will do the backups just fine as long as you don't mind plugging it in once and a while.

All depends on your needs.

unless you want or need the wireless backup functionality, a hard drive will be much cheaper.

13. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah I would buy an external HD. Dang, I just looked at mine and I got one heck of a deal on Black Friday. This is all I use for My Time Machine Backups. It works fast and is still cheaper than what you're looking at.

But here's another. It's nicer on the wallet and has good ratings.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

A cheap hard drive+enclosure will serve you well and cost under $120. Unless you absolutely need the wireless capabilities.

Backing up a lot of stuff over wireless is even slower than USB in my experience.

15. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

since i already have an iphone 4 and a macbook pro 15inch, would an ipad, even with the discount that maeks it 394, be worth it? or should i look for something eles on the apple store?

16. anschnaller macrumors member

anschnaller

get the TC, i would wait for the hi-rez ipad to come out. it is just not the same going from the hi rez of the iphone to the ipads low rez.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ask yourself: would I really use it?

I wanted an iPad at first, but I've got an MBP and an iPhone too, and I don't think it would get much use.

18. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

it seems like one of those things that "it would be cool to have"

in terms of use, i guess it would be nice to have a second monitor thing to look at. if that made any sense lol

the other couple of things i was looking at were the dr.dre studios but, even those are expensive, even with 75 dollars off the 349 regular rpice lol

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're into audio, you might want to go to a specialized store. The dr. dre's (in my opinion) aren't all that.

20. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

the onyl good headphones i own and ever listened to are the ones that come with iPods lol

21. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

You can always find alternative solutions for the functions of a Time-Capsule (granted the solutions will be less elegant, but whatever...), while the iPad is basically unique as a mature tablet product.
    On the other hand 16 GB will be quickly used.
    But I'd go for the iPad anyway.
    I find the Time-Capsule to be the most overpriced Apple product.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

And they definitely don't fit in my definition of "good". I don't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch, but I like when things sound good.

At home I use a pair of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors, and when on the on I use a pair of sennheiser CX380-II.

If you're into earbuds and are willing to spend a bit, I'd check out sennheiser, shure, klipsch amongst some others.

23. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You could easily get a router + USB HDD/NAS to replicate and add on to the functionality of the Time Capsule. I personally don't like the idea of being stuck with one HDD because I tend to consume storage space faster than my routers take to die but that's your preference.

The iPad is unique and a bit harder to find a suitable alternative to (even if they do exist) so I'd get the iPad.

If you value sound quality over branding and style, there are much better headphones than the Beats for cheaper, even after the discount.

24. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

well, then you'll have your own ipad to enjoy on a long ride ;)
    since you already have a 500gb external i would suggest the ipad.
    It's great for reading books, notes or surf!

25. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah the thing is i already have a macbook pro and an iphone 4 lol

even with 125 dollars off, 394 is still a hefty spend on something