Would you get the 4s if you were in my shoes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Winstonp, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I'm on the fence with the 4s. I obviously want to buy it because I love (almost) all things Apple and I have high hopes for Siri, the camera, and the speed. I've had my iPhone 4 16GB black Verizon since March, purchased it on craigslist off contract, and I'm happy with it. I'm afraid that purchasing the 4s on a contract will prevent me from upgrading to the 5 (discounted) when it comes out (likely early next summer). If I buy the 4s, I'll pretty much have to keep it until I'm able to get a subsidized upgrade again because my wife wants to watch our spending, and also feels like my history with phones is slightly absurd. (iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs, Windows Phone 7, iPhone 4) Should I wait?

2. whawhat macrumors 6502

rumor is iPhone 5 won't be out till next September (w. iPad 3 taking the June slot). If I were you just hold onto the 4 until it dies or you lose it. I expect a majority of 4s customers to be first time iPhone purchasers and customers looking to upgrade from 3G and 3GS.

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

You only live once, who's to say you, me or any of us us will be around to see an iPhone 5...

4. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the advice. If I made all decisions based on the notion that I had 1 year to live, I'd be in trouble.

5. Kaenon macrumors regular

Yes.

If this were the case, I would be on vacation to all places tropical, around the world to big cities, ancient wonders, every day.

6. stev3n macrumors 6502

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Why not sell the 4 and buy an unlocked 4S? With what you get for the 4, you could probably get the 4S for the same amount as the contract price.

8. mkaen macrumors regular

What do you typically get for the 4? And can it only be sold to someone who's using the same carrier you were using?
    TIA

9. Annerz macrumors regular

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wait? For what? Get what you want and enjoy it. Worry about the iPhone 5 when it comes out. And tell your wife you are the man of the house and you'll buy whatever the heck you please.

:D

(I shall live vicariously through your actions. Let us know how it works out for ya... :eek:)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What kind of shoes are you wearing. That ultimately will determine how I make a decision for you.

12. StoneSoup macrumors member

I'd just get the 4S. If you're eligible for an upgrade now, dont torture yourself and get the 4S. Besides the design, the 4S is revolutionary, just like the other iphones that came before it.

13. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

IMO, definitely wait. iOS5 will pay off, I have a feeling it will.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It has to be sneakers, not the cheap kind too.

15. NoHo macrumors 6502

If the only reason you want the iPhone 4GS is because you always get the latest, coolest Apple product, then it's probably not a good idea to get it. But if money isn't important to you and only social status is, then sure. Get it.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hey, I want the latest and greatest Apple gadgets! And it has nothing to do with social status. I happen to like shiny new gadgets!

So I work my hiney off, save my pennies, and buy my gadgets every year. Nothing wrong with that.

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I love my iPhone 4 but now I'm also being tempted to get the iPhone 4S. The camera quality and 1080p recording sound great. I will probably wait to see firsthand images and recording samples to determine if it's worth the upgrade. I'm also interested in how much of a speed improvement the new proc will make. If I hear that it's a huge improvement then I'd really be tempted. I guess it's wait and see.

18. moel macrumors 6502

I would tell anyone else to wait if they've got a 4..however I had a 3GS and considered eaking it out til the 5..but i caved in 36 hours..and hopefully getting it Saturday, possibly Friday if I can get to the shop in time!

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

There is a large and growing market for iPhone 4's by people who simply want to use them as iPod Touches. I'm stunned at the winning bids for auctions on iPhone 4's on eBay. $350-$550 for a 32GB Verizon model.