Would you give up your iPad 3 in favor of iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nStyle, Oct 18, 2012.

?

iPad 3 in favor of iPad Mini?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Let all other variables be equal: retina, battery life, thin, etc...

Would you give up your beloved iPad 3 in exchange for a more portable form factor? Or do you think the Mini and iPhone begin to be too close of a product to warrant the need of both?

Personally, if the Mini is released, and it hits the nail on the head, I'd be willing to trade.

2. Peter Harrison, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Definitely depends on what you use it for. Before I got my MacBook Air, I'd say no. The iPad is just the right size for being both a productivity and consumption device, or it is for me anyway. But because my laptop is now extremely portable and I'm happy to take it anywhere to work with, I now want a tablet that is more consumption than productivity. Or to be more precise, I want an e-reader than can handle PDFs well and read RSS feeds etc but be more comfortable than the new iPad, which I find a little heavy and bulky at times. The Kindles don't stand a chance next to the Nexus 7 at about the same price, but a smaller iPad might be the perfect thing for me. I want something smaller and lighter than the new iPad, that can handle PDFs well. The iPad will likely be a bit more expensive than the Nexus 7, but then I know the iPad will work with iTunes Match, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime etc.

Summary: For doing work, the current iPad is perfect. A nice big screen, lots of detail, great for editing photos, video, music, writing etc. But for reading ebooks, PDFs, news feeds and websites, and maybe watching the odd YouTube video or a film, I'm more interested in comfort and the smaller size of the iPad mini should be about right. If I don't like the price or there's some other problem, I'll be getting a Nexus 7. Apple have to impress.

If I didn't have an ultra-portable laptop though, I'd stick with the big iPad.

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

People buy their ipad for different reasons.

I specifically wanted a 10" screen.

For those that wanted something smaller but did not want to go Android, they may answer "yes" to this.

For example, one of my main uses is reading electronic version of mags/PDF's that would be nearly impossible to read on a 7".

Also, to type emails, I need a screen keyboard that is big enough.

R

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'm concerned with how horizontal typing will be. Right now, the iPad is great for two-handed typing, like a regular keyboard. I've really adapted to it well, and can go reasonably fast. However a smaller keyboard might throw me off too much.

My company is likely ordering a few in to test, so I'll be giving it a go.

In terms of portability, I'd love something a little smaller and lighter, with 4G. If I can still be productive on the smaller screen, then hell yeah.