Would you go back to 4S for Google Maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankster, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Would you go back to 4S for Google Maps?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. No

103 vote(s)
    87.3%
  3. Thought about it

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Hankster, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I have the iPhone 5 and when my wife realized it doesn't have Google Maps she decided not to upgrade. Apple's map app is not even 50% as good as Google Maps. She also decided not to upgrade the OS. Overall, I'm very happy with the iPhone 5. But, Apple dropped the ball by removing Google Maps. It's probably the most used app on my phone next to Twitter.

Anyone else have thoughts or second thoughts about going back or not upgrading because of the lack of Google Maps?

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I wouldn't at this point. However, if google decides to release a map app, I would certainly download it.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't use the extra things that GMaps provides enough to do so. I will wait for the offical app to be released.

5. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I am not sure what everyone is using the maps app for that they are having problems with. I use maps quite a bit to find addresses or a business phone # or for directions. I have used apples product and i must be the only one who likes it better the goggle maps. I have used the turn by turn a couple of times and it has worked great. Maybe it's just my location but it works great where I am.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I also don't use maps enough to have that be a deciding factor. I launched google maps on my 4 for the first time in months yesterday. I am using Garmin street pilot on demand and will continue when I upgrade in a few weeks.

Eta, I also don't think I have twitter on my phone. It is on my iPad, but I don't really use it! Lol!

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I still have the 4s and the nicest feature of iOS 6 is the New Maps App with turn by turn Navigation. So much better the then old Maps App.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Do i wish Apple's maps worked better? Sure. Does it really affect me during my typical iPhone usage? No.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Shouldn't the question and poll be more to go back to iOS 5? Most iPhone 4S you run into will now have iOS 6, especially if you buy them retail. Anyway, I actually really like Apple Maps. The turn-by-turn is a huge upgrade from Google Maps on my iPhone 4 and even just the regular Apple Maps on my 4 when I was using iOS 6 beta on it were really neat and easy to use.

10. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

I'd take the iPhone 5 without any maps at all.

Not having google maps is not the end of the world. :rolleyes:

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

No, you are not alone. I believe there are some ares with problems (maybe mostly overseas) but it is really blown out of proportion.

12. Macintosh69 macrumors member

Macintosh69

Hell No

Honestly, I never cared for Google Maps, so much so that I bought and used MotionX as my GPS.

I've used Apple Maps ever since I got my iP5 and it's been great, I've had no problems with it getting me where I need to go. Visually, it doesnt look as nice but it will get there in time.

13. II BISTRO II macrumors member

Nope. i dont know why people are complaining so much about google maps.. did they really use it that much??

i had the tomtom navigation app since it was released for the iphone and its going on my 5! dont care how the apple maps really are

only bummed that my phone will not fit into the old tomtom cradle designed for the 3gs/4

14. SquiPhone macrumors member

I really do NOT get it either.. :confused: how much could you possibly be using the maps feature? even if you were a delivery driver or similar, you SHOULD have a better GPS to use already. Aside from that, apple maps has functioned just fine for me and everyone else who I have spoken to about it. In fact, for what i would use it for, i like it much better than google maps. Everyone gets soo caught up in the media madness and they can't think for themselves.. Its like the same hysteria about the youtube app, the one in the app store is actually a LOT better than the original, but since we hear about it on the news and somebody blogged about it, it must be terrible.

I got a new car the other day, its great but i really liked the way my radio worked in my 10 year old jalopy so i think im going to return my new car..;)

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I honestly never used Google maps since it did not provide spoken turn by turn directions. So I always used the TomTom app that I purchased in the App Store. This weekend I'm driving to Pittsburgh for a bachelor party, so I will be putting Apple's map app to extensive use.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I didn't realize how much I was using Gogle Maps, till the iPhone 5. I tried to get by with Apple maps, but it's so much slower & very incomplete.

Between that and several other annoyances, I'm very happy to have my 4S to return to. The best aspect of iPhone 5 is it's no longer in Apples way. They can now concentrate on the next iPhone, which is bound to be better.

17. enophi1, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I have the google maps shortcut on Iphone 5 with iOS6 , there's a way of doing it - 3 simple steps and you will be left with a nice little Icon for Google maps on your Iphone 5 :)

Same as you had with the 4s.

Google Maps Here

18. Sneakyfox macrumors regular

Sneakyfox

I rarely used G-maps so I'm not really fussed about the current maps app problems. I can see how it frustrates people though!

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

Hell no! Get you a stand alone GPS if its THAT serious.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Rand McNally Atlas FTW.

BL.

21. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

22. speed4tu macrumors member

When i have had my iphones in the past I never used the Maps app. It just plain sucks. No turn by turn. I always use the tom tom app.

23. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

+1... Exactly! This is getting ridiculous now.

24. formulatwo macrumors member

Exactly. Or even better buy one the of Nav apps out there. Navigon, Tom Tom, Garmin, ect...:eek::apple: