Would you guys go through the hassle of returing for 1 dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

This is driving me nuts! On the Retina display, one dead pixel is so small and yet now that I've spotted it, I can't stop looking at it!

I think over time I will get used to it but I can't help but think about exchanging it for another one because I spent $600 on this 32GB model.

Would most of you guys not obsess over it or would you return it? Would Apple employees make a stink because they have to exchange a model due to 1 dead pixel? I am not one of those customers who feel entitled to everything. It is actually the opposite. If they tell me they can't make the exchange, I'll end up nodding and leaving the store. :(

2. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

If they can't make the exchange, simply return it as "Dissatisfied", and then repurchase it. Apple want's nothing more than for their clients to be satisfied, you won't have an issue.

3. emaja macrumors 68000

I guess it depends on where it is on the screen. I know I would want a perfect screen, but if it was off to the side I might let it slide.

Just my opinion. I don't think they would refuse your exchange at the store or even give you a hard time about it.

4. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Would you drive a car with missing nuts in the tire?

5. Ccrunch10 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and I think I will be stopping by over the weekend to exchange it. It's a little silly because it is so tiny, but I have a total of three of them and one is nearly the center so I notice it every time, one is 1/3 the way from the top (also noticeable), and the last one hides pretty well with the status bar at the top. Spending $700+ on something that touts the display as one of it's best features is incentive enough for me to do it. I'm already noticing this from just an hour of use so I'm pretty sure it's still going to annoy me tomorrow, 1 week from now, 1 month from now, etc... Especially considering that it's stuck on black and most web pages and books are mostly white.

Technically, you have 14 days to return it regardless, right?

6. mizzoucat macrumors regular

Look at it this way: At any given time, there are dozens of pieces of dust on the screen that appear as dead pixels. Just look past the dead pixel like you do the specks of dust that are always there.

7. falcora macrumors 6502

8. doboy macrumors 68000

If it bothers you that much then try to swap it.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

i'd swap it. i had a dead pixel on an old monitor (that thankfully recovered) and it drove me nuts until it fixed itself.

10. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

You get what you pay for. You think it should be flawless?

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'd replace it, but I might wait 6 months so that I get a fresh battery and rid of any scratches/dents that might occur by accident =P

12. avalys macrumors 6502

You're nuts! A single dead pixel out of 3 million? Give me a break! On the Retina display, how can you even see it? It's smaller than a speck of dust.

13. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Your tires have nuts in the tire? That is awesome.

14. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Have you got a screen protector on?

I thought I had a dead pixel as well:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1342728

But it turned out to be a tiny TINY piece of dust under my screen protector...

15. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

I also have a single dead pixel. I have been debating whether or not to return it all day, but I think I'm just going to stick with it. Mine is in the lower right corner, so it isn't that noticeable. If it were in the dead center I'd probably exchange it.

16. nd3eb macrumors member

I had a dead pixel on my iPad 2... For the first few days it drove me nuts and it was all I saw... But after a while I got used to it and didn't even notice it. Decided not to go through the hassle of returning it...

I'm sure after a while you won't notice it at all, but if it's really bothering you, just return it.

17. lianlua macrumors 6502

That depends. It's a complex, mass-produced item, where any number of minor flaws are to be expected.

If your screen has even backlighting, a color temperature you're happy with, good saturation, and excellent fit and finish, with no leaks at the edges and no trapped dust, I say keep it.

If the pixel really bugs you that much, go ahead and swap it out, but you might notice something in the replacement, and it could bother you more or less. You never know. Since you don't seem to be unreasonable and expect a totally reference-perfect product for a mass market price, it all comes down to how much more it would bug you to have a stuck pixel than to have some other problem. That's not to say you couldn't get one that to your eye is flawless, just that it's not the standard to which any consumer product is built.

Anything that is built in large numbers has some specified tolerance range that falls pretty far short of 0% faults.
    Nah. One swap is no big deal. Three or four over an exceptionally minor issue might push their buttons.
    Is a stuck pixel going to increase the likelihood of your iPad falling apart and suffering damage?

18. dgsdm macrumors newbie

This. If it's really minor and everything else is good I don't think its worth it to exchange it. There's a good chance there might be dead pixels or other problems on the new ipad you get. These screens have millions of pixels and if you look hard enough I'm sure almost all of them have at least 1 dead pixel.

19. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Same issue here. Single stuck pixel at very bottom toward the bottom. Likely to keep it until i end up scratching the screen. I don't notice it unless the screen is white and I'm looking right at it. Perfect screen otherwise. No yellow tint.

20. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I would exchange it ASAP!

The biggest selling feature of the "New iPad" is the display and having an imperfection of any kind just does not make sense!

21. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Doesn't even have to be a dead pixel I would return with a stuck pixel.

If you wait till your return date is out, just tell them it keeps getting really hot and your worried you think the battery will explode. ;)

22. Skunkape123 macrumors member

first one i bought yesterday had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and i returned it for another and its now perfect and im happy.

people might say you're nuts, but you're paying $600. Why spend that money for something that has a defect...even if its the slightest issue.

IMO, go return it. You spent that kind of money, it should be perfect out of the box.

23. Built macrumors 68020

I could not agree more.

Return it.

24. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Bothers one, return it. Does not bother you, keep it. Me, it would bother me since others don't have dead or stuck pixels, so should I, so it would go back ;)

25. chadx85 macrumors newbie

i have 1 near the bottom and i can't stop staring at it! does having a dead pixel on the screen the first day mean i'll get more eventually? not sure how these things work :confused: