Would you intervene at the Apple Store if an employee is giving bad advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JayDH, Aug 25, 2013.

1. JayDH macrumors 6502

Just got back from my local Apple Store. I was there checking out the 15" rMBP. A lady, who was looking for something light to replace her old 13" MBP, was talking to an Apple salesman next to me.

Based on her needs, a 13" MBA would have been perfect for her. However, he successfully upsold her on a 13" rMBP (she couldn't tell the different in displays, even after he tried comparing them a few times). The guy explained to her that having a discreet GPU was like two processors working at the same time, but then directed her to a 13" rMBP without a discrete GPU. She was very confused. The guy just kept throwing out nonsense that was technically incorrect. He never once mentioned the battery life advantage of the new MBA.

I decided not to step in because it wasn't any of my business, however, I almost did! I wanted to tell her that new Haswell rMBPs are right around the corner, and a 13" rMBP would benefit greatly from an increase in graphics performance. I also wanted to mention the battery life advantage of the MBA, since that's something she would notice before the retina display. But, at the end of the day, she was leaving with a perfectly fine machine and probably felt good about it.

What would you have done?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I've been in similar situations, and I have told people if I think they are being deliberately misled or the sales guy has no clue.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah for sure I would, and do.

Not at Apple but other tech stores I hear being misled and if I'm 100% sure I'm right I'll say something.

If I have any doubt I could be wrong I don't though, that'd be mighty embarrassing.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You bet. I "interfere" all the time. :D

But in this case, I might have nuzzled up alongside the gal, eavesdropped a bit and then tried to tactfully steer the employee into full disclosure by asking leading questions.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I agree--and it's a fine line between being genuinely helpful and being "that guy".

Not to mention the implication that you're going to somebody's place of work and essentially sabotaging them by blocking/discouraging a sale, which is kind of a douchey move regardless of whether or not the salesman is being dishonest.

6. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like I should have said something!

But, it was a huge upgrade to her current machine, she was getting a retina display, and she'll never know the difference between 4000 and 5200 graphics.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I've been there, but refrained from interfering. Minding ones own business is best for people.

8. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Salesmen and politicians are the biggest liars in the world... Never trust them... They sell you the fish in the water... :D

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Last year I was looking to buy a 13" Macbook Pro from an Apple Authorised Reseller & Service Provider in Romania and the employee told me that the Macbook Air has a Quad-Core CPU. Myeaaah.

10. mslide macrumors 6502a

Nothing. I wouldn't have cared nearly enough to bother listening to enough of the conversion to have even known he was or wasn't giving her a line of BS.

When I do happen to catch misinformation being given, I still don't do anything. I don't work there and it's none of my business. After all, I wouldn't want someone coming to my place of work and trying to tell me I don't know how to do my job.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Difficult question...I would have kept my mouth shut. If the managrers want to they can ban you from the store.

12. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I won't say anything. The person buying the machine should do their due diligence and research what they are purchasing a little bit before they pull the trigger or let a sales person talk them into something they have no clue about. But that's just me.

13. scbond macrumors 6502

Your best bet is to speak to the manager and report the member of staff. They will be retrained. More than likely won't help the mislead customer he up-sold to but it'll prevent it happening again...or take a step towards it anyway.

Apple claim they don't up-sell but that is non-sense. Usually they will suggest a lower model and then use the left over cash to buy AppleCare, which is up-selling and a con in itself. Then again, any business that doesn't up-sell is stupid not to.

14. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Apple Store employees won't talk about unreleased models and I don't fault them for that at all. Giving out faulty or misleading information and up selling is bad news though.

Honestly, they should push Airs on just about everyone who doesn't list gaming or video work as requirements.

15. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

If they want to up sell let them do it. If they outright lie (like the discrete GPU in the rMBP) then I'd have approached him and interrupt.

16. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

The most I would have done is talked to the lady after the sales rep had left. I don't think mentioning the new haswell macbook pros would have been a good idea in front of the worker. They would probably just discredit and say it's all speculation and rumors.

17. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I interefere with the guys at bestbuy all the time, if they served beer there i would make an entire evening out if this activity. :)

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not really any of my business, and if I haven't heard the whole conversation it could be taken out of context.

That said, if I did hear something that was wrong, I wouldn't bother to interrupt them, but if I had the chance would talk to the customer once they're finished.

19. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

It would depend on the Apple Genius. It could be a honest mistake, or something significant. Was she being led on or unharmful ignorance that wouldn't matter to a general computer user?

As a rule I think it's very rude to go in and do other peoples job. Also, there is the matter of fact versus opinion. Is your way of viewing value or the needs of said customer more right than other ways? Maybe a apple employee might use sayings that sound strange in the moment, yet with a different intent in their head.

20. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

I always do my research before buying anything thats expensive, it's comon logic, and if you're willing to buy whatever the salesmen throws at you, you deserve it.

Obviously Apple will try to sell as many MBPr before the new batch arrives.

so would i intervene? probably not, but depends on the situation.

21. NbinHD macrumors 6502

When bored, as bad as it sounds, sometimes i like to be the smart ass i am and go into a store and ask a question about a iMac for instance. Some of the answers, even though i know what the right answer are pretty funny. In response to the OP, depending on who it is and how bad they were lying, i might, even though its non of my business. I find a majority of the employes in the Apple stores in Australia (atleast the ones i have been too) know what they are talking about.

22. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The Apple Store near me is always so crowded I don't think I'd even be able to hear the conversation next to me. I do my best to mind my own business.

If I don't feel comfortable I'll leave a store and go back. I don't think I'd want some random customer listening and interfering my transaction.

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's true, and I'm pretty sure I would have had a discreet word with her, but people should always do their research too. I can't believe she couldn't see the retina difference, but lighting in the stores may have been a factor there.

On a recent trip to an Apple store here in the UK, ( we had an appointment to get my fiancees trackpad replaced) we were browsing as they did the repair. We had one of the floorwalkers actually ask US to explain thunderbolt to him...he honestly didn't understand the technology at all, and was man enough to admit it..we spent some ten minutes or so giving him a rundown on the basics...Maybe the guy was new or just an overzealous salesman...I do know that they don't get extra pay for selling more units though. Lets hope she's happy with her Mac...the Air would certainly be what I would have advised too.

24. Tanax macrumors 6502a

When I helped my friend to buy her first Mac - the new 2013 MBA - the guy at the Apple Store talked very highly of the rMBP because of the higher resolution and better processor, even though she didn't need it for the type of education she would be starting this fall.

The sales rep didn't give out any false information but he was clearly trying to up-sell based on her (fairly small) needs. Luckily I was there and could help her with her purchase. The sales rep didn't like me questioning so much though and he left after a while (even though we had more questions) quite unhappy when he noticed that he wouldn't have any success in up-selling the rMBP.

25. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

if the customer know nothing about technology, your suggestions would probably fall on deaf ears.

i wouldn't intervene though, even though its salesman responsibility to truthfully state information about a certain product, customer should also do their own research too.

or at least ask for suggestions in the internet forums.