Would you lie to your parents to get the iPhone 4??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by painholic, Aug 12, 2010.

1. painholic macrumors member

This is really stupid and childish topic to discuss, but I just wanna know what you all guys would do in my situation.
    When the iPad came out, my parents told me to either choose iPhone or iPad for my college gift and I opted for the iPad because iPhone 3GS didn't really appealed a lot to me and it had really high phone bills.

However, as one may expected, now I ALSO want the iPhone 4.
    What can I do with this human desire haha
    I will cut to the chase now. I need to lie to my parents to get the iPhone 4 now. Gladly, I found out about the FAN discount recently, so my phone bill is going to stay almost the same(high $40s). If I can get some friends to join the family plan, I can make my bills a little bit cheaper. My parents don't know about the existence of FAN discount, so there is just no way that they will figure out at all.

What would you do in this situation?
    The main reason that I want iPhone 4 is because I am sick of carrying my phone and iPod touch at the same time..
    If you wouldn't get caught, will you lie to get the iPhone 4
    Does iPhone 4 worth that much?

I know some people might bash me that the iPhone 4 is ''just the phone'' but Iam sure that my iPhone will be more than ''just the phone''
    Haha thanks for reading my long and stupid story.

:)

Oh by the way, some people might tell me to get a part time job and pay off myself, but I'm an
    international student in the US so I'm not eligible to work in the US. My parents aren't even living in the US which makes them even harder to figure out if I'm lying about my phone bills or not. Am I bad kid? :(

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

Really dude? What has society come to?

Sell something you already own... Make a sacrifice...

3. cl601amt macrumors member

I guess it depends on what your personal honor and parents respect is worth.

4. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Why do you have to lie to your parents? You decided on the ipad for a gift. Did they ever say you couldn't have both as long as you pay for your iphone and the bill??? You're an adult, act like one.

5. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

6. rannddeee macrumors regular

Get a job and pay for it yourself. Don't lie to your parents. I'm pretty sure they've put up with your ish all these years. Don't repay them by giving them more problems.

7. advres Guest

advres

School too tough to get a frickin' job? I worked from the day I was able to get a work permit. I worked 40 hours a week while going to college and I had to pay my own way. Man, the entitlement nowadays is goddamn disgusting.

You sir are what is wrong with kids today. Your parents never should have gave you everything you wanted because now you have no respect for money and obviously no respect for the people who raised you the last 18 years.

And PS... You're going to school in another goddamn country... don't you think your parents are shelling out enough money for you?

8. Banny macrumors newbie

I'm in college. I saved up my own money and bought both. Yes I live with my parents (well, my Mom), but never would I expect her to fund my love for new toys.
    You have an iPad and iPod touch. In less than a year, you can pick yourself up an iPhone 5. You made your choice, live with it or spend the money that you earned yourself to get it. You're in college, you must have your own money. Now is the greatest time to learn self sufficiency.
    You work for what you earn in this life.

9. painholic thread starter macrumors member

Wow I edited the last part of my story and there were already 6 posts!
    Thank you for your insights! I appreciate them all. I will reconsider about my plan :)
    I would totally work and get the iPhone by myself if I could, but as I mentioned, I can't because I'm not eligible to work :(

10. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

Are you sure that you can't get a student job ? That would really surprise me.

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

You can work a certain amount of hours on campus as an international student in the US.

I looked into it whilst trying to find ways of getting myself over to be with my fiancée, ended up just going for the fiancée visa route and when I become a resident of NY State, I'll enrol for classes at CUNY, tuition was too expensive when I don't have loads of money saved and wouldn't get a student loan.

Maybe even save the money up, buy an unlocked iPhone4 and get your folks to either ship it to you or take it over with them next time they visit.

12. painholic thread starter macrumors member

Yes, some private schools do offer some work study program to international students, but I go to public school and it doesn't offer any.

13. cl601amt macrumors member

Are you lying about the FAN discount too? ie using one that you are not eligible for?

14. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Come on! There are how many illegal aliens in the US who have found ways to make money? And you can, too.

Yard work
    Child care
    Manual day labor
    Computer repair through referrals
    Selling on Craigslist/eBay etc. for profit

Be creative. Evaluate your skills and market yourself.

Don't lie to your parents, you WILL get caught.

By the way, I curious. If you do not have a Social Security number and UScredit card, are you even able to get an AT&T account?

15. mrathee macrumors 6502

Seriously?

just like everyone else -GET A JOB

I am a college student - i take 21 credits per semester and still work a full time job, and therefore I can buy my own gadgets. My father paid my phone bill up until last year, but I bought the 3g on my own contract to relieve him of that.

I just upgrade to ip4 AND bought my own ipad, and I still have to pay for housing and regular living costs.

Why can I do this? Because I don't expect my parents to pay for anything.

They pay for your living expenses, so why should they have to buy you expensive toys that you clearly don't need.

Edit:

and yes, you absolutely CAN get a job on campus, even as an international student. I worked for the work-study department at Rutgers University, and dealt with management from other local universities (Seton Hall, kean University, etc etc etc) and they all allowed for international students to enroll in work study. They encouraged it moreso for them than for other students. I'm sure most schools do this as well.

Its so aggravating that people can be so selfish and needy.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I can't believe this thread is about someone who is in college rather than a minor

OP: You are an adult. Start supporting yourself. You will be thankful later

17. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Some of you privileged kids with golden spoons in your mouths don't know the 1st thing about work.

Should you lie? No

Should you be accepting your parents money to help you get by? No

You want something? Here's a novel idea...find a way to do it that doesn't involve lying, taking handouts from your family (who actually worked for it), or whining about it.

Sell your ipod touch, sell your ipad, sell your material possessions. It's still your parents money, but at least you learn an important lesson of give and take, maybe even learn to appreciate the value of money.

*on a completely different topic, while your parent's money enter our economy while you're in school, I find it ****** that most international kids take away an education from the US only not to stay and give it back to us by joining our workforce.

18. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

19. iRance macrumors regular

Are you sure you're in college?
    Seems like another lie...

20. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Sadly, parents with money seem to enforce this behavior.

Not enough Warren Buffet types in this world.

21. mrathee macrumors 6502

Have you missed the excessive outsourcing that companies here are doing? I'm sure the percentage of international students that study here and leave is minute compared to the percentage of jobs lost to outsourcing.

its pretty silly to be angry over whether they stay to work or not. besides, if they do, you'd hear more people complaining about foreigners stealing US jobs.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Contrary to other posters in this thread, there's nothing wrong with receiving stuff from your parents. Some people call it being spoiled, but it really only becomes a problem when you don't appreciate the gift and get a sense of entitlement. Just because someone else worked 40 hours while in school to support themselves doesn't mean that someone who didn't work while in school and had their parents support them is somehow a worse person.

The problem, however, is when you start lying to get money off of your parents. That's extremely rude and offensive. The fact that you would even consider it is very telling about the type of person you are.

23. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You said it!

24. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

It's a give and take, people will complain about outsourcing, and people will complain about losing jobs to foreigners. I have no problem with someone paying for an overpriced college education to join our workforce no matter what their nationality is.

25. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

As a parent, I will tell you that if my son did this to me; that iPad would be the last thing I ever bought him. Appreicate what you already have!

My son wants an iPhone. And I will get him one........right after he brings me a 3.5 gpa on his first quarter report card. Doesn't get a 3.5 gpa, doesn't get an iPhone. Even tells a small lie to me about this topic.....doesn't get an iPhone.

Truthfully, I could care less if my son doesn't have a 3.5 gpa on his report card. All I care about is that he is HONEST, and works HARD. I know my son well enough to know that he'll get that 3.5.

I think you need to reevaluate what your parents have done for you in your life.......

Want an iPhone 4, sell your 3gs. Take that $, and buy an iPhone 4. Selling the 3gs doesn't cover the amount you'll need..........simple, sell more of your belongings (which your parents paid for anyway).