Would you like access to the iOS file directory to save, move, edit files? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Lloydbm41, Feb 20, 2014.

?

Would you like to be able to access and use the currently hidden iOS file directory?

1. Yes

44.6%
  2. No

55.4%
  1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Gonna set this poll up, because I am curious if people using iOS would like Apple to allow its mobile users access to the currently hidden file system. If you jailbreak, you can access this via a tweak like iFile. And of course, anyone using a Mac has access to their file system and directories.

But, if Apple allowed you to save a pdf, png, jpeg, mp4, etc to a directory and folder of your choice and be able to access this file from any app, would you want this feature? A simple yes or no survey. Thanks.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'd say yes but with limitations, I don't think most people would be able to use it if It has as much access like ifile does.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

It'd be hard to argue against having that as an option.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have iFile installed and have yet to use it for anything. Why?

I tech savvy but don't want to mess with the wrong file and screw up my phone and have to restore. Now imagine how an average user would feel about being able to access the file system. Just a bad idea if you ask me.

Apple could technically release a more controlled "Finder" style functionality for iOS that just lets us access photos, documents and such but nothing more.

5. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I'd say no... Or at least a way to see and mail multiple files or just see in one place all your apps and which files they contain, something like my Finder concept.

[​IMG]

6. technology&stuf macrumors newbie

Force a concept decades old on modern technology? Why not innovate and create something better that better adheres to the average consumer?

7. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Use average user as excuse for not implementing the feature is laughable. Most modern OS has protection mechanism that protect most important system files. Average users will not and would not choose to mess around with system files anyway.

Having use File managers on Android devices really make it easy to managing files and sharing files around with different application. There is no more uploading files to Dropbox, then open files by different apps through Dropbox's share sheet. Just need download the file from internet or drag and drop. Easy.

----------

The current implementation is not better and not more efficient than a decades old concepts. Most of users are grown up with full featured file managers, regardless is Windows a Explorer or Finder. Having a file explorer made it really easy to manipulating files,

8. lasttimefornow macrumors newbie

People who grew up with file systems did so with a keyboard and mouse. Not a 4" touch screen.

Just because people grew up with a certain feature doesn't mean that feature should be implemented on every device out there. The features must make sense for the device. A full fledged file system does not make sense for such a device. That is why the average consumer isn't demanding it from Apple. The average consumer spends most of their time on their phone browsing the web, consuming media, texting, calling, and on social media. I'd wager those combined take up 90% of smartphone usage to the average consumer. Guess what, a file system isn't necessary for those. That is why average consumers aren't demanding it from Apple.

9. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

10. iHackPro macrumors regular

I'd like it, but don't find it absolutely necessary. Having true drag and drop from my PC to my phone would be nice, but like I said, not necessary.

If it was implemented, I'm not sure the average user would mess around in it besides the first time they saw it, just to see what it is. Most average users, and even power users, don't have a use for it though.

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I don't think there needs to be an iFile equivalent, but a sandboxed OS-default, 'Files' app or area where everything can be stored, and where other apps can tap into, like how the camera roll currently is.

I've been wanting something like this for years, and iMore has too.

12. FriednTested macrumors 6502

I have iFile... I haven't used it in a long time... Slowly I have gotten used to not needing a file system...

13. cynics macrumors G3

Would you like access to the iOS file directory to save, move, edit files? Ye...

Force? Who said that? You?

How can you innovate this further? Access to a file system that is already there.

Your idea has 2 options.

1, Apple stop using an underlying file system and create something new...lol.

2. Emulate a new type of file system on top of the current.

Sorry to say but decade old concepts is how the phone still works! It's such a simple concept too hard drive (C)abinet > folders > files.

------------

I think limited access is the way to go. A download folder like Android or something better.

The current method is dumb. I have the same PDF files saved multiple times to access them in different apps. Such a waste of space to have 3 gb in files knowing it's because they are doubles and triplicates of the same file.

It's funny to edit a photo through 3-4 apps and look in photos and see all the copies. I'm not saying saving the original shouldn't be an option but damn what is this 1974....

I don't think there is a need for Apple to allow access to system files.

14. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Why does full fledged file system does not make sense on iPhone or iPad? People not only do simple stuff like web browsing but also do complicated stuff like productivity.

Last time I checked, file system is on request list for long time. Who said average consumers aren't demanding it from Apple?

15. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Limited access file system has its place in iOS imo

16. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'm a fan of this. A traditional file system view would be a step backward imo.

Yes, these devices run on a "file system" in that system files are organized in a certain way. But that doesn't mean we have to visually represent that file system the same way its been represented for decades (a bunch of folders, oftentimes pre-named weird names).

Close out the system files, offer a "summary" finder which shows all the apps you have which have files saved to them and which is user organizable. Because of the number of apps on the app store, might need to have devs implement through an sdk or api (like the share sheet/airdrop currently is implemented).

I'd be in favor of this.

17. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I'm with the limited access crowd. Give some people too much freedom and they'll muck things up.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I already do with PhoneView. I just think that there's enough apps that already give you a feature like this already that iOS doesn't need it built-in.

19. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

This poll in addition to another one floating around clearly shows file system access isn't a feature largely requested. Its as simple as that.

20. cynics macrumors G3

If the poll was reversed (I can't see it from tapatalk btw) you or someone else would say "A poll on a forum doesn't accurately represent all iOS device users".

Can I say that now? :D

21. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Funny how you bring that up sarcastically when you really want to say that yourself to demean this poll. Sorry you disagree with it. But it provides more evidence than what you are putting forth.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Enough non-jailbreak tweaks/apps to allow for something like that?

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah. Tons of file manager apps in the store. They do other stuff too, like have a document viewer, music player, etc. You can even use the "Open In..." feature.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I think a lot of people are scared of file systems, change or just like to play devils advocate.

Basically file system access merely has to be like the photo app. Replace the photos with downloaded files. Does anyone here that objects a file system of sort get confused by photos? When you email a photo do you freak out and the phone bricks? Probably not.

So instead of "Email would like access to "Photos"" you'd see "Email would like access to "Files"". Then select the appropriate file from a list. Only thing that is different it's not pictures it's text. Can we really only not be confused if it's not a picture?

We could all make up stats and say most people this and average user that. But the fact is all of the competition which makes up a larger portion then iPhones do have file system access of sorts. And I never see a problem from users on XDA. I don't browse the windows phone forums but I at least don't hear of problems from them either.

Are Android and WP users more intelligent then iPhone users? Plus this is something that never needs to be messed with if you don't want to be bothered with it.

If people that don't like the idea don't want to be able to email a certain file to someone (zip for example) then they don't have too. They can continue to use the iPhone like they always have more or less.

I love iOS but hate the fact I have to use an Android device at work because the iPhone is incapable of doing very simple file related task. It's getting to the point where I only use my iPhone for social networking and music (toy).

25. appledes7, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

appledes7 macrumors 6502a

I'll admit to that.

Polls open to the public aren't made up.

You could say that. You could also say that a huge majority of smartphone usage is web browsing, listening to music, texting, calling, and social media. None of which require a file system. But of course you will ignore that.

Because XDA members are a good representation of the average consumer, right? ;)

Same thing with a bunch of Samsung "features." But Samsung clearly isn't known for offering great user experiences.

I don't even have an iPhone or iPad anymore, only a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. But if I want to email .zips, I almost never do attachments. I send them a link to the file in Dropbox or Copy. That way I can change the files if I need to before they even get it.