Would You Miss Bars If They Were Taken Away?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
If there were no bars on the display and you just had a G or E to display instead wouldn't it save a lot of bother?

1 Cor. 15:26

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Yes, I would mind if they went away.

They owe me a substantial amount of money. Gambling addiction. Not going to say much more about that.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I think they should do away with the bars altogether and take the XBOX 360 approach.

Green Rings = You're good
Red Ring 'O' Death = You're screwed

Should take a lot of the guessing work out of your reception?

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
I would only "miss" them when my call dropped or my reception is sketchy and I wanted to see how my signal strength is....which is pretty rare since i live in a strong ATT 3G market.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Pretty good point. They're only there to tell you what you already know (you have no signal! *THAT'S* why you can't make a call!)

I suppose people like them because when they drop a call they can accuse it for being the other person's fault (Must have been your phone...*I* have five bars!)

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Given that the bars are meant to indicate call quality, then it might be reasonable to replace them with an indicator which is shown only when poor quality is likely. Would this make the world a better place? I don't know :D

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Given that the bars are meant to indicate call quality, then it might be reasonable to replace them with an indicator which is shown only when poor quality is likely. Would this make the world a better place? I don't know :D

Tomorrows headline;

APPLE Removes signal bars, Antennagate fixed. Mobile industry in uproar.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Apple has missed a golden opportunity to explain what the bars are there for.*

The purpose of a signal strength indicator, is for point of reference only. *It's there to give you a rough idea of signal strength. That's why it's an analog display. That's why there are no numbers to give you an accurate, specific readout. It's only a gauge, and should be viewed as such.*

If Apple would have educated it's customers instead of insulting them... "you're holding it wrong" there never would have been an "Antennagate".*

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Apple has missed a golden opportunity to explain what the bars are there for.*

The purpose of a signal strength indicator, is for point of reference only. *It's there to give you a rough idea of signal strength. That's why it's an analog display. That's why there are no numbers to give you an accurate, specific readout. It's only a gauge, and should be viewed as such.*

If Apple would have educated it's customers instead of insulting them... "you're holding it wrong" there never would have been an "Antennagate".*
Good points. But I believe that whatever Apple (or any other manufacturer) says, people will still attach too much significance to the indicator (in terms of comparing to others phones) yet ignore the indicator otherwise.

Does anyone pay attention to the indicator immediately prior to making a phonecall? (Disclaimer: I live in a strong signal area.)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Give me my old bars back, they looked cooler, I hate the look of the new bars.

I could care less if they took them away or not, as long as my phone works.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I wouldn't mind a green/yellow/red indicator for "good call quality", "might get some noise" and "no service".

Much better than those bars which are subjective and ultimately mean very little to the average consumer.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I'd miss bars big time. What would life be like without a good pub to go to, a dive to listen to some punk band blasting the speakers, a pizza joint with a live band playing, or a piano bar?

Oh... those types of bars. I'd say just replace it with a number for dBm loss and be done with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.