Would you more lightly upgrade to iPad2 if iPad1 can't run some new apps very well?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Piggie, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As title really.

Ok, so we may only get the iPod touch camera and the same res screen, but if we do get multicore CPU and GPU chips which could make it a lot more powerful graphically.

Dev's I guess would naturally like to take advantage of this new possible power.
    So if we started to see apps that really pushed the iPad2 to it's limits but would not run, or ran very very badly on iPad 1. Would that be the reason to needed to go for the upgrade?

Obviously I guess I'm talking more about games than anything else as these are the apps that need the most power for high speed graphics manipulation.

On a person note: I do pray than iPad1 does not hold iPad2 apps back from being as good as they can.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If the ipad2 ends up being the dual core / dual gpu device rumored, most likely debs would create an iPad hd and non-hd version just like for the iPhones. At least for the next year or so. You don't alienate a large portion of your user base.

Edit: I believe it will only have a processing speed bump for this next generation.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I must admit, if there were apps/games that I knew where better. Better textures, smoother framerates, more things on screen etc.
    Basically better graphics on the new model, then I would get the new model.

If devs are too worried to push the new model for fear of upsetting iPad1 owners then I'd not see much point in upgrading.

I do wonder if the apps I have already bought will be improved as iPad2 versions to be downloaded. Same screen res, just better and smoother animations, and perhaps higher detailed textures.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't really go that way. I mean unless the screen resolution changes, the iPad 1 and iPad 2 will run the same apps.

Plus this would increase the fragmentation of iOS apps even further.

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh yes, I not saying they would not physically run the app, but it would be like minimum specs on an old PC game, saying 486 required and you only had a 286 chip.
    It would work, but it would be more like a fast slideshow than smooth animation.

You can't add 50% or 100% onto the speed of a 2nd gen machine, write games that make the most of this new speed, and also expect the slower machine to run the same app very well.

Unless as I say, you are not going to push the 2nd machine to get the best out of it. Or the iPad 2 is only like 10% or 20% faster anyway.

I'm not sure about the RAM side of things, as I guess games could be developed, like that were on the PC or MAC that needed a minimum amount of RAM to run.

6. matt90036 macrumors regular

Nope I will not buy a new iPad every year. I will wait until 3rd generation comes out which will have double the memory of iPad 2.

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I will probably get a new iPad when the wife says she wants an iPad.

I also feel that Apple is going to release an iPad2 that sends the 'other' tablet makers back to the drawing board. It will support iPad1 apps, but not all new apps for iPad2 will be usable on iPad1.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

With my serious doubt on iPad 2 will get retina display this year, no. I am not updating iPad every year and I have no interest in buying another iPad for the camera. iOS 5.0 will probably run great on this iPad and apple will probably back my iPad up with iOS 6.0.

This year, apple will focus on adding 2 cameras with 512MB ram + Faster CPU. Those updates are not enough for me consider upgrades.

When apple adds retina display on iPad in 2012 or 2013, then I am going to jump in for the upgrade.

9. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

I'm probably upgrading, even if it wasn't jailbreakable I might. (maybe :eek:)
    I feel the ram is quite limiting and my screen has a bit of backlight issues on one side that bothers me.

I'll sell iPad 1 for a decent amount and upgrade to iPad 2 and probably go with more storage (even if they keep the same storage at the same prices).

Being a bit on the nerdy side, I would like knowing that my iPad had dual core CPU/GPU with more RAM too.

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Isn't that the truth with all technology. iPhone 2g would not be able to run some apps that can be run on 3gs and up. Some apps that are run on today's computer (x11) would not be able to run on commodore 64,etc.

11. jazziethomas macrumors member

Well this is a manufacturer's strategy to earn more, giving away features one at a time benefits them in a certain manner.