Would you pay $1070 for an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colbertnation, Nov 21, 2011.

1. colbertnation, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

colbertnation macrumors regular

Many of you probably don't know, but the 4S is going to be released in India on Nov 25th.

The unfair part about this is that Apple has tagged on $200 to the iPhone price in India, such that the off-contract iPhone 4S 16GB is $850, 32GB is $970, and the 64GB is $1070. (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/21/the-high-price-of-the-iphone-4s-in-india/). Obviously this raises many questions, and has sparked some outrage: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...n-its-us-retail-cost/articleshow/10809024.cms.

The interesting part about this though, is that currently, in pre-order stage, the 64 GB model (both black and white) at $1070 is sold out. Of all the models, the 64 GB seems to be the most popular there.

Edit: Here's the link. Check out the prices yourself: http://www.ncarry.com/aircel/preorder.php?ref=aircel
    (currently, the currency is trading around 51INR to 1USD).

How about you guys? Do you see yourself paying $1070 for an unlocked, off contract 64 GB iPhone 4S?

Edit: It seems that this is the highest price for an iPhone 4S anywhere in the world. Jeez Apple...

2. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

Can't speak for anyone else, but the highest I would ever pay for a phone is $210.94 :D

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

You need to bear in mind that in the local currency, it could well be a very reasonable price, just because it equates to $1070 doesn't make it "expensive" - that is only relative to the USA.

The 16GB iPhone in the uk is £499, that's about $780 but that doesn't mean we find it that expensive (well that's not true) - its the going rate for a top end smart phone, especially when you know you will get more than half back in a years time when you sell it.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What is your beef with Apple? If it was too expensive it wouldn't sell, period.

6. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

The only way I'd pay Apple $1,070 is if I'm coming away with a new MacBook Air.

7. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

What are you talking about? I don't have any beef with Apple. I'm just stating what the facts are, including general outrage in India over the price of the iPhone. Jeez man, relax.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

In Ireland the 64gb is €799 which is US$1078.

I gotnthen32gb sim free for €699

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

India isn't the only country where the price is much higher as several posts in this thread have indicated. Here in the UK the 64GB is £699 which is approximately $1050.

10. TuiSong macrumors regular

My currency conversion worked it out at $1010! i wonder if the exchange rate did a blip between the times we checked it

to the OP: I don't know what the actual rate was the day I dropped $1349 NZD on my 64gb 4s, but yeah some countries don't have a lot of other choices. Maybe India has gst or vat or some other kind of sales taxes like NZ does. I'm happy with my unlocked iPhone, it will save me a lot of money in the long run since I don't use mobile data much and rarely text or call anyone. I use mine on prepay plans. A $20NZD top up on the phone lasts me over six months, and it will only cost me $10 - $20 NZD a month for my data plan

11. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I did a lengthy discussion of it in one of the MR articles:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With Apple finally selling off-contract phones in the US, I'm surprised this doesn't create a larger grey market....

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yea it has changed

Edit it's still $1008. I'm using XE app.

14. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, you are quite right. India does have a tax on foreign electronic products, but I am unable to recall the actual %. I want to say though, that it would definitely not be $200 or even in excess of $20, as I know a lot of other electronic goods being sold in India compare well to the same goods being sold here in US.
    As India is also a pre-paid market for the most part, I suppose it makes sense for people to drop USD$1000+ and not worry about data plans and such. But jeez, I just can't imagine paying $1000 for a phone up right! I like the idea of slowly paying it out over a data plan (which I heavily use). :)

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

That's not too far off from the device only cost with applecare+ in the U.S.

16. rkeato1 macrumors regular

17. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

The currency is different of course when the GameCube (that's way back when Nintendo didn't blow the much lol) came out it was 125$ more in my home country I was shock too, but that's how things are, anyways if you consider yourself a heavy smartphone user is worth the money after all is only 3$ at day which is less then what I expend in food for a meal or starbucks , or for some people cigarettes so looking at it the way it makes sense :) you will use the phone more then anything else I know I do :)

18. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

When you add shipping to a US forwarding service and tax, there's not that much difference - only about £20, barely worth the effort.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

well the 16GB iphone 4s is £499...certainly not cheap.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's not going to get you a sim free unlocked phone. It's not a fair comparison with the prices being discussed in this thread being for unlocked contract free phones.

22. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

Well, unfortunately, Apple has found a way around that. They only offer you their iPhone warranty if you use the iPhone in the country you buy it in. So, buying it in the US and taking it to say India for permanent use would void the warranty, and you would not be able to service it there for free.
    It sucks :(

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

Officially that is supposed to be the case. Unofficially there are many reports of people getting their phones repaired/replaced overseas. It is a risk as there is no guarantee Apple will honour the warranty outside the country of origin.