Would you pay $2/month to get any weather info?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 19, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Trumps proposed cutbacks and "public/private partnerships" would reduce US Gov size and spending.
    It also means ending programs we take for granted.

Yes, even daily weather would now be on the block because NASA and NOAA spend a tremendous amount on weather satellites and analysis that we see on TV and phones.

Airlines would have to charge another $10 per passenger for this information, more expensive due to additional data points needed for safe flight.

Traffic data would also cost some, not as much, but some, since some aspects are funded by government.

Of course TOLL Roads will be much more prevalent, especially as 10,000's of major bridges need significant repair, some a total rebuild.

MAPS will also have $200 yearly updates as all the data is entered from governmetn document and satellite is uploaded.

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Do you have a link?

Also, while I don't really like the prospect of budget cuts, $2/day is a pretty good deal for actual weather information. But then again, do we really need to know exactly what the temperature is going to be everyday? Idk.

But don't fool yourselves. We are paying for this with tax dollars anyway. These services do cost money, and we're just not seeing the actual up-front cost.

3. HEK Suspended

HEK

I just don't want to pay for the F-35 or another Ford class carrier. No amount of chest thumping will make me feel any safer having those money pits. Spend 1/10,000 of that cost on ammunition and training.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I tend to look at Presidential budget proposals as more of a political PR exercise than a practical policy proposal.

I think it was Marco Rubio (remember "Little Marco"?) who pointed out - quite correctly - that it was the Congress that actually made the budget. And maybe I'm kidding myself even more, but I somehow I have some faith that even red-state Republicans might get a little skittish over slashing the funding for things like meteorological reports and meals on wheels.

Maybe I'm wrong. But for now, I'm looking at Trump's budget as an exercise in messaging. A message of fear; anger; stupidity; and hate - to be sure.

But that was sort of expected, wasn't it?

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Think of it this way: last administration we were sold hope and change, but that turned out to be just messaging, now we have fear and anger, so maybe much won't change again?

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think it could also be fairly said that we were sold hope & change by the previous administration, but when our package was delivered by the delivery service ( McConnell & an obstructionist Congress ) all we got was damaged messaging & ( ACA ) goods. Now that we have a delivery service determined to deliver the current administration's product as quickly as possible ( less than 3 weeks to consider Trumpcare and no public debate? ), things may change. My question is would you really buy a product labelled Fear & Anger?

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Nope I wouldn't. The only time is use any weather service is in imminent inclement weather...and that's sparing. I use my radar app and watch things for myself.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

There's some truth to that, but ultimately Obama didn't deliver. We're still bombing people, not protecting American workers, etc....

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I also think it's unrealistic or fair to just outright blame & call failure for what he could not have done. He tried, and due to the checks & balances system, he has to rightfully work with Congress to get things done. If he had supposedly unchecked powers as some say, then you could blame every shortcoming on him. Was everything he did do great? No of course not. But in the constant rush to complain about what he failed at, there's rarely any talk about what he did do that was successful... Economic Recovery, the Auto industry, what little healthcare we have, etc...

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, what you will see is like what has happened to the UK Met Office. If you use there web site there is all sorts of cookies etc. Clearly they're getting ready to privatise it at some point. Their iOS app is free currently, but you have to pay to eliminate ads. I can't imagine anybody would consider cutting meteorology or climatology given that the prediction of an escalating number of extreme weather events. As I have stated before, weather has killed more people in the US than al Qaeda and ISIS put together.

The problem is that Trump doesn't like the data that shows global warming, so he cuts it, with the collateral damage being greatly hindering the system we need to predict the weather and give warning in the case of tornadoes, hurricanes, violent thunderstorms, winter storms, etc. The states that fall in the area of potentially lethal weather (pretty much all of them) will go ballistic about this. These proposed cuts will kill off a generation of aspiring weather and climate scientists. It will also be bad for farmers, the seafood industry, airlines, tourism industry, the shipping industry, emergency preparedness and civil defence, etc. As a scientist, words fail me when I think about it. Private industry will not pick up these cuts. Indeed we have a situation in which the government is pointing a finger at industry for low investment in research and private industry is point the finger at government for much the same thing.

Hopefully Congress will understand the damage these cuts would do and pass a sensible budget. however, given the right-wing extremists now dominate the GOP Congress, I am not hopeful.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It wasn't merely messaging. Trump and the Republican-controlled congress are showing us the first glimpses of what life would be under their control. Obama may not have been as much change as I would have liked, but he clearly laid out a different agenda than what we see from Republicans.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, last time we managed to avoid a second Great Depression; millions of Americans got health care; the US reputation around the world regained a great deal of it's lost credibility; we managed to reach near energy independence; LGBT rights made massive - previously unthinkable - gains; we killed Osama bin Laden; and got ourselves pretty much out of two dead-end wars. And a lot more besides.

Maybe not everything we might have hoped for. But a pretty good start.

Are Trump people going to get what they want? A massive wall on the Mexican border; Muslims banned; W. Virginia coal mines reopening; and iPhones being built in California or Texas?

Probably not.

Bottom line (and "bottom line" is probably the key phrase) Trump is going to find that Congress is probably not going to go along with a lot of his plans. He hasn't made too many friends in Congress, even on the Republican side of the aisle. And it is Congress, after all, that really makes the laws and budgets the money.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, we budget way too much for the military which results in us being taxed too high for the services we get. We need to see major cuts to the military to bring it in line with other programs, and either move some of that money to domestic programs or drop the military enough that we can afford tax cuts.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Who do you think put that radar in? Who do you think maintains it?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

If you can see anything like a hurricane or tornado, it's usually too late for you.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hurricane maybe, tornado no. Most people in tornado alley try to get a look before running to the basement.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Osama was going to get caught sooner rather than later, so that's entirely to the credit of the U.S. military.

The financial crises was handled well, but that's more of a bi-partisan effort than you give credit for.

LGBT rights, yes, big strides toward that. That was a good thing that I give significant credit to Obama for.

ACA is debatable. Although there are a couple of really good provisions that I like.

But we also saw costs rise, we're still engaged in stupid wars, authoritarian presidential powers continued to expand, and we just narrowly avoided the TPP. It's not all roses.

19. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Privatization sounds easy until you realize that companies like Accuweather get the majority of their data to put out custom forecasts from NOAA/NWS.

Think about everything that goes into a forecast. Putting in 100+ Radars, hundreds if not thousands of temp/wind/pressure/humidity stations all over the U.S., launching weather balloons twice dally at sites all over the U.S., launching weather satellites, building computer weather models. That all costs money and don't forget the cost of maintain all of it. Don't forget things like flood prediction and warnings and Tsunami warnings because NOAA does that too.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No one is claiming it was. But if you can't tell the difference between the Republican and Democratic administrations, then either you aren't paying attention, or I'm just imagining things.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Duh no kidding. I was thinking weather prediction/reporting. Not the service of a radar. But then I don't think that's in jeopardy.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When you're talking about 30% cuts, everything is in jeopardy.

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't think all weather services are in jeopardy are we? I mean why must we jump to cuts will translate to immediate shut down of all services?

I grew up on a farm in rural Iowa and went through three tornados....none direct hits though. We were outside in locations where we could keep an eye on things. But at night we relied on reading the trees, air conditions, and sky watching between lightning strikes.

While radar might help to concentrate resources to certain areas, today like back then, eye witness reports from the public and EMS (cops, sheriffs, firefighters) help are exceptional help.

24. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying there aren't differences. I vote for Obama twice, and Bernie Sanders in the primary. I think overall Obama was a good president, but I don't want people here pretending things were better than they were.

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Pffttt. That's my technical response. So, I'm to believe a 30% reduction will cause all public weather services to be suspended. C'mon man.