Would you pay $2/month to get any weather info?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 19, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A 30% reduction will fundamentally change how that department operates and the services they able to provide. Clearly it won't completely shut down all of the weather services. But the impact will be dire. Just imagine your workplace. How would you and your colleagues respond to a 30% budget reduction?

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually, as bad as the GFS (this is the model developed by a division of NOAA and used almost exclusively by The Weather Channel) cutting funding to it would probably improve our forecasting. The NAM, Euro and Canadian are all much better models.

And, yes the President's budget is a PR exercise and not for one minute do I expect it to pass, or even resemble what eventually gets passed.

But I have a simple proposal. How about for the next 2 years, we spend the same amount as last year. Then in 2 years we increase that amount by 2%, and go another 2 years then increase it by 2%. Before long we would have a balanced budget.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I understand.

My work is a bad example. We are actively migrating our data to other systems.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Paying for weather info ......Then it damn sure better be ACCURATE!!!

5. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Bingo. One of the first things that would go would be point forecasts for rural areas. And some of the first people to get pissed off would be farmers all over the country. Only later when no one managed to raise any nectarines through the late frosts, or save the onion harvest from imminent floods, would the urban consumer wake up and realize what the hell happened.

I can hear it now: "How can they charge this much for a freaking onion?"

Well how can we imagine that privatizing what NOAAA/NWS does would not result in typical private sector decisions?

Why would we run electricity into rural areas hoping to make a buck, eh? Answer: we wouldn't. We did it because it was a common good. And it has been that. So is the damn weather service. Trump needs to get over it.

I guess if one is a climate change denier then one might figure ignorance of weather, never mind climate, is bliss. However, I don't think the majority of American citizens would buy that excuse for cutting NOAA/NWS budgets.

Honestly you can't even take a nap any more without this White House proposing to gut some useful part of government. Every week now I take another look at Mass. Rep. Mike Capuano's summary of what Trump's government has managed to do, or undo, and I cringe anew at the consequences that will pile up on us like a series of tsunamis.

Budget cuts have consequences. Privatization has consequences. Axing into muscle and bone of agency has consequences. These don't necessarily show up immediately. I had a black willow tree that took almost 25 years to die from the fatal error of shoving its roots towards its sense of periodic surface water availability during a several-year time of drought here in the late 1980s, when the ground water was unnaturally depleted. After that, the variant depths of the frost line from year to year finally killed off those roots. So with some of the budget cuts that Trump proposes. We won't die immediately. But, we will die without some of these funds to agencies he proposes to gut. The privatized substitutes will not serve our common good, and not least because we can't even agree now on what is one.

Rubio is right. The President may propose a budget. Congress is who signs off on it in making the appropriations.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump's budget is simple

Military
    Wall

Everything else can get cut

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

I live in California. I could guess my weather the night before and I'll be correct 95% of the time. Cutting back on this funding and more importantly, the ability to monitor weather in high risk areas, may result in catastrophe. Our fellow citizens in tornado alley and hurricane stretch would suffer.

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

Wouldn't that still be affected by the NOAA cuts? If 250M is gone, then how do they maintain the software or launch new satellites without the money? If I'm not mistaken, those articles reference not shutting them down or placing them on standby a few days a week to preserve rising costs.

9. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

How often do you think weather satellites need to be launched?

I would imagine the satellite program has a budget for software updates and funded ground control stations.

Is there an exact line item budget for NOAA that shows it collapsing completely with the budget cuts? Every cut in government budget brings out the chicken littles.

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

According to Wikipedia, NASA and NOAA launch satellites every 2-3 years because their mission duration are set for 2-5 years on average.

11. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

So it isn't a high volume program.

GOES-R is fully funded and will remain fully funded with trumps budget.

12. Zenithal macrumors G3

Volume? No. Cost? Yes. GOES R is only one satellite system slated for a 15 year run, provided contact isn't lost or the craft doesn't explode. The GOES program isn't the only weather satellite system shot up, either. The NOAA budget will affect the various weather radar systems we have, too, wouldn't it? No exclusion was made for current programs. The next GOES launch next year maybe affected by budget cuts. Nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to government spending.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The GFS is getting a major overhaul to be able to compete with the Euro. The nam is a short range model.

14. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Basically. the most immediate threat(s) on the radar imo would most likely be ground based wars. High chance of infantry ground based, not rolling tank battles. I'd be looking at North Korea. China an unknown quantity, will they go all in with NK I can't say for sure. NK's tunnel networks known...and those are the ones we know about. their lots and lots of rifleman known. Skills may vary....100,000 bullets coming down rage something is gonna connect no matter how bad they shoot.

And since its modern times and high rates of collateral damage not liked...its not like we even have options like in the past. HE fire support via arty/bombs to soften the area....send in grunts after and sweep and clear what may have lived. this off the menu these days. We saw this in the middle east even....we don't soften up with some HE and clear out what lived the fire storm. Collateral damage is bad. tends to happen when HE falls from the sky in populated built up environments.

If a betting man and the world goes to hell in a hand basket my money is on a ground war where air power cannot be fully utilized. the billion dollar plane programs will look pretty. And will suck at close Air support because rules of engagement will say too risky. We got "lucky" past few years. We at least got some open space in the desert for the motivational smart bomb outtakes. Good press there, look...this is what you all pay for. Problem is in the latter years and the ones that got people asking why? in increasing numbers....was when there was no more vehicles to blow up in the middle of a desert. It was the switch to heavy MOUT operations. Ie. House to house kick in the door sweeps. Here warfare got messy. Here warfare got real.

My prediction is NK if it ever came to that would be very real. And one where billion dollar plane programs won't save the day.

15. 0007776 Suspended

And before people come back with the fact that we used to be able to raise crops before we got these technologies we also had lower yields and a smaller population to support, so going back to those lower yields would hurt us a lot.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Nah, Trump is finished with sowing and planting seeds of fear, anger, hate, bigotry and stupidity. He's now harvesting the fruits of those seeds. See below. :D

Trump-sowing-seeds.png

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I must live in a different California than you do.

Here, it's not so easy.

18. Zenithal macrumors G3

Are you in NorCal?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Baja Oregon.

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

And they say California is a communist state. Hah!

21. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

GOES-16 is a great satellite the problem is it can't effectively cover the entire United States. We should have 3 or even 4 of that class of satellite in orbit.

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

We see weather on FTA stations for free. But if u wanna pay $2, whatever

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

At this rate of science cutting…. the Iranians, Hezbollah and North Korean civilians will have better satellite access than Americans.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Didn't it just get one a couple of years ago?