Would you pay $2/month to get any weather info?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 19, 2017.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

What is an FTA station?

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

3. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Do people in tornado alley have basements? I thought that was a northeastern thing? I was thinking they had cellars and storm shelters. I am not trying to be a smart arse. I really want to know, and have no clue on housing differences across the US for this type of thing.

I bring this up because when visiting my grandparents there was a tornado, and they had to first clear the cellar of snakes, and then we got to spend the day there. Lovely experience :).

4. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

No, not all have basements or storm shelters/cellars. Same in the South.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Umm.... Where do you think the radar app gets the data from?

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No link needed, its is all over Twitter and (semi-fake) news (but the $2/mo is my guess)

Yes, we are paying for this now, but under the proposed cuts and administrations desire for more private involvement then yes, one can see this shift, but also pay a little less taxes.

I agree we do not need weather all the time, but I am talking all sources of weather, even the TV (fake) news media.
    TV stations would either pay a large amount for satellite weather data, or use shorter forecast terrestrial radar to provide some data.

Oh, and insurance companies would now need to fund hurricane planes for storm data.

Point being is how much of what we take for granted is funded by our taxes (as you pointed out) and if people be willing to subscribe for that one time "free" info.

8. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Why not go to the source? (PDF) page 7.

[​IMG]

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Kiss that goodbye if we go to a pay model.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why not?
    Look at all the programs Republicans have vocally and vociferously wanted to end? Check this (before fake news) article from 2011.
    PBS is one (Remember Romney? Although it is self-funded, a few stations may not survive).

Some (ignorant) politicians think weather satellites are useless because we get weather from our smartphones (heard on NPR last Thursday). Others because it threatens their policies.

It is kind of like the "Grocery store argument" ("we don't need farms, all our food comes from the stores").
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    That is the current estimated cost all tax paying US citizens pay.

If it was to completely go to corporate, for profit, organizations, they would charge several times more than $3/year
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    And where do they get the weather info from??

They would have to pay $$$$$ for access to that data.
    One could use radar networks, but their range is about 100 miles.
    Either way FTA would pass the cost with more ads, less weather reporting, or what not.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Speaking from Kansas experience only most people have basements or build some portion of their houses underground, or they know someone close by who has. When we were young before my father built our house we would go to the neighbors during a storm.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Speaking as a Nebraskan, I'll tell ya that although forecasting is always a crap shoot, weather data can be enough to make a good guess a few days in advance. A college friend came in with a stack of printouts (this was the late 1990's; no iPads to play with yet!) and an excited look on his face.

"You look happy. What's the scoop?"
    "In two days, it's going to look very good right... *flip flip flip* .. here." *points to a spot on a map*

Two days later, no kidding, we went out and saw a tornado form not more than a mile from where he predicted.

At its most benign, weather data helps know what to wear, whether to bring an umbrella, etc. At its most severe, the data can help save lives. Some of you say, "95% of the time, I just look out the window for my weather," but it's that extra 5% that'll get you.

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The problem with the GFS is that the weather companies, especially The Weather Channel, just regurgitate what it predicts verbatim. So for example today it said we had a 20% chance of precipitation. But a 5 year old could have looked at the Radar and known we were going to get hit with rain within the hour.

I generally have no use for local news, but in the case of a good local meteorologist they are worth it.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Um, did you read post 21?

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

WTF does that post have to do with anything?

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

My my, potty mouth. Read it again; sleep on it.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You don't seem to understand how weather observation and forecasting works.

Let's call it a societal failure which neglected to give you (and many others) an understanding of basic geological and atmospheric processes.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Definitely not the case for hotels. I once stayed in a Kansas City hotel with no basement. Why do I know this? Because lucky me who is deathly afraid of tornados, was sitting in my top 3rd floor room watching the TV news coverage as a storm blew in around 10pm. Then as the rain hit the windows and blew sideways. Then as the lights flickered. Then as the tornado siren wailed. I flew out of my room and down the stairs so fast I was probably only hitting every 3rd step. I was scared $***less.

I got to the bottom and being a west coaster I figured the competent staff would be trained in such matters and direct me to the basement, right? Wrong. There was no basement. Instead they said just stay down here in the ground floor hallway and gave me a flashlight. Great. I will be able to guide the twister in like an airport worker on a runway. I was expecting a little more protection than a flashlight.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the front desk person began calling each room, one by one...very very slowly, telling them they might want to come down to the ground floor. I don't know how these people couldn't hear the very loud tornado warning, and come down themselves, but still by this time that warning had been at least ten minutes prior. If we had been in the path of the tornado, we would have been hit by the time she got done calling each room. It seemed so very incompetent and unprepared.

Luckily for us (but not for an auto dealership) the tornado hit a mile up the road. The next morning I drove up the road to take a look. Seeing the steel girders of the auto dealership bent as if they were a paper clip sent a chill through me. I still am getting goosebumps now as I type this. Because if it had hit the hotel, we probably would have been toast.

I haven't been back since. I doubt I ever will. :eek:

19. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Good points

Personally, I don't ever use the weather apps, and I never care what the news predicts about the weather either.

I just look out the window, or go outside. My method is surprisingly accurate.

The weather forecasts are usually wrong. They aren't even accurate on the current day. And expecting them to be accurate about next week is a joke.

I've even watched the news telling us it was a cold rainy day, when it was hot and sunny all day.

I don't know why the weather people can't bother to look out the window. The computer isn't always right.

We have radios and telephones for air travel. If weather requires cancellation of incoming flights at a particular airport, then they can notify other airports centrally.

People somehow lived for thousands of years without weather satellites. I think we can manage just fine if they all stopped working.

20. 0007776 Suspended

The population was much smaller and kept that way by higher deaths from being unprepared for severe weather events, and starvation when crop failures that could have been avoided with modern technology caused famines.