Would you purchase the new MBP if it had MacBook like keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trevpimp, Aug 16, 2016.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

2. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I just went from one of the new MacBooks to a 15 MBP and I am having trouble typing on the MBP. I guess I got really used to the new keys. Actually prefer them more.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I actually purchased the 2015 13" rMBP because it didn't have the same keyboard as the 12" rMB. Extra ports and a faster CPU/GPU were also among the reasons I went that route.

4. Branflaakes macrumors 6502

I would, many many many people readily say no because of either herd instinct, having not really tried, or having tried but not putting in enough time to adapt to it. I'm not saying that EVERYONE would love it though, however. It's obviously different because of the shallow key travel and larger physical surface area that we can touch, but nothing impossible to get used to. Most people (who own the Macbook) I know end up really liking the keys after giving it a week. Maybe like 2-3 people still prefer the older keys, but even they adapted to it. Three or so of my friends from College tell me that after they've adapted to the new keys, the old keyboard looks really dated and they in turn cannot type efficiently on THAT LOL. Just remember many people are naturally resistant to change, that's all :)

5. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

I will formats buy the new rMBP for the hardware which support what i need it for. I am sure i will get used to a new keyboard, dont see the big problem

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep of course thinner machines require engineering solutions that change products all the time, I'm sure it will be fine like every Apple keyboard I have used has been.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

Yes. I've nothing against the rMB keyboard.

But I'm not looking to purchase the new rMBP.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely not, but I do expect Apple to use it, for their next iteration, because they just can't help themselves - they'll be making the new MBP thinner and to that end, they'll want to use their new keyboard.

From what I see in the Macbook forums and just googling around, those new keyboards don't always hold up to well. My concern is the plastic mechanism will fail over time.

9. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Yes, because I'd probably get used to it. Regardless, I usually use a Bluetooth Apple keyboard instead of the one on the MBP.

10. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I would, but only if something happened to my current Pro. I do really like the keyboard on the rMB

11. jerryk macrumors 68030

I don't like the new Macbook keyboards, so that might keep me from buying it since I do a lot of typing.

12. GZR macrumors regular

Maybe there's a chance they will se the same style but with deeper presses for the keys?

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I think this is likely more stable but still with a bit of travel, could be a better keyboard

14. Patcell macrumors 6502

I probably would. But would definitely miss the old keyboard mechanism. I imagine most would adapt pretty quickly to the new style keyboard though...

15. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

It took me less time to get acclimated to the keyboard on the rMB than it did when Apple changed to the unibody MBP and chiclet keyboards. I swear, for me personally, the old school aluminum keyboard was the absolute best!!

16. consumeritis macrumors member

The keyboard on the rMP is pretty great. Haven't used it a lot but I definitely wouldn't complain if it showed up in a redesigned MBP. Plus it's thinner.