Would you quit Netflix or cancel if they bought a movie or came out with a film you didn't agree w/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Jan 19, 2019.

?

Would you cancel Netflix if they bought a movie or came out with a film you didn't agree with?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    94.8%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. max2 macrumors 68030

2. mollyc macrumors 68000

They have thousands (millions???) of titles. How in the world could I possibly know what they all are or if I agree with them all? If I don't like something, I just don't watch it.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

That’s a logical approach.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much my take as well.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have no doubt they have MANY titles in their catalogue that I don't "agree" with, whatever that means
    I watch the shows/movies that interest me and pass by the chaff
    When it becomes to odious to sift through the chaff to find something of interest, then I will likely move on

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I can see ditching a subscription to a media outlet if the preponderance of the output seems abhorrent to me personally. I put up with subs to certain newspapers or magazines because the breadth of their coverage interests me. If the entirety of a publication doesn't sit well with me on a consistent basis, then I will not subscribe to it but I still might read some of its offerings once in awhile.

But for instance canceling Netflix or tearing up a library card because the entity in question offers some films or books in which I discover I have no interest doesn't make much sense.

Better to not finish reading/watching what's on offer if I bump into something I don't care for, than constantly have to gather and filter input from the entire planet. Outfits like Netflix and a public library seem to provide a broad if also mainstream gamut of entertainment and information, and it's not as overwhelming to make a choice there as to drink straight from the fire-hose of the whole internet. Pretty sure even on Netflix and in a public library one can also encounter outliers from conventional fare, if that's what we're looking for.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The short answer is "no", for the reasons stated by a number of posters above.

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I chose "no", but I guess it depends. There are lots of stuff on Netflix that I disagree with, but I haven't canceled yet.

But, I could always change my mind later if Netflix was only stuff I hated.

Politically, I am middle of the road. I think that many of Netflix originals lately have not-so-subtle political messages in them, and it gets annoying at times. I doubt I would cancel my sub, but if Netflix became just a library of political hatchet jobs, then I would probably cancel.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I've noticed that I now consider assorted works of fiction "political hatchet jobs" in ways that never occurred to me before. One could either say that an era of hyperpartisanship has opened my eyes to "the truth", or merely that it has spoiled my ability to take an open mind to a simple work of fiction offered by someone with a particular viewpoint.

I don't exactly blame myself now for taking a more partisan mind to entertainment, since at least to some extent I'm a creature of my times, but I do sometimes regret not being able to crack open a potboiler without having some superego sitting on my shoulder scanning for an agenda.

Sometimes I just want a beach read. Sometimes I want to roll myself back to when I was taken up by some novel's thriller of a plot and oblivious as to its political "message". Alas I must now often struggle to enjoy the one and simultaneously ignore existence of the other.

So far on Netflix I haven't run into "too many" films or series with a political agenda that overwhelms the entertainment value. Or at least I think not. There are some things I've bailed on. I've attributed that to other stuff, like requirement for too much suspension of disbelief, or not caring for the screenplay's characterizations or the actors' abilities to realize them. This thread makes me interested in thinking more about that though... i.e. "why did you bail on [film title]?" but it doesn't make me think yet about bailing on Netflix.

10. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

What is Netflix playing that you don't agree with and is causing you to consider cancelling? That's the only reason I can think of for the existence of this thread.

To answer the question: No, that would be silly. I enjoy Netflix.

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I just wish I could get away from the political stuff.

I used to be more into politics, but I am just tired of it. I got to hear it when I am at work, when I talk to friends and family members, and now it seems like movies and TV shows and becoming littered with political agendas.

The thing is, some times I would agree with the views that the TV show is expressing, I just feel like it ruins the mood.

As for the OP's question, I am not canceling Netflix, nor any other service I am subscribed to, but I do stop watching certain TV shows if I feel like the story has become about pushing a new SJW issue every episode.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

^^ Or sometimes about pushing a same old right wing agenda... but I agree that agendas in general seem to have become more prevalent in entertainment.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yesterday I watched Bird Box. I am sorry to say that I will never get that two hours and four minutes of my life back. But I don't really care if they keep it available for streaming or not.

If something offends me, I can turn it off, look away, or change the channel. No big deal.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the show or movie involves subject matter of a moral nature that I do not agree with, and one that Netflix did not fund or produce, I would not cancel service.

If a show or movie involves subject matter that is both immoral and illegal,( such as pedophilia) and one that Netflix has funded and made available under the auspices of encouraging others to perform the same kinds of actions, I would cancel service and possibly engage in direct legal contact with Netflix.

John Donne said it very well.

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself,
    Every man is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thy friend's
    Or of thine own were:
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.

As individuals, we are in the world. As individuals, we don't have to take part in illegal and immoral activity. Subscribing to Netflix and other services that make available some content that some of us find questionable or personally wrong, does not in and of itself, show or suggest, that all subscribers of said services are in full agreement with all content offered.

As an individual and Christian, it is not my place to dictate to others what they should or should not watch with any given service, nor is it my duty to try and control what other consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes etc. What is my duty is to live my life with honor, respect and help others when I can, and try and be an encouragement to everyone one I can, whether in word or in deed.

If you are a person that struggles with watching things you know you shouldn't on Netflix or elsewhere, the logical thing to would be to remove yourself from the temptation, at least and until you can exercise more personal control and self-responsibility.

When struggling to find objectivity in a question, remove the emotion from the subject and you will be able to find the answer much more clearly.

15. jerwin macrumors 68020

I don't use Netflix--I use Amazon Prime (which has a different scope). But it is possible for a service to waste its acquisitions budget, leaving less stuff that their usual customers would enjoy. Original content is particularly risky.
    I gather a lot of people were irritated that Amazon wasted money on Woody Allen's series.

A long time ago, PBS's Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery subsisted on importing BBC stuff. Then A&E, started to outbid them. And then the PBS shows, seeing the old reliables drift out of reach, decided to produce "American" content. Which was expensive, nearly bankrupted the operation, and cut their "seasons" in half. Oh well...

16. Tech198 macrumors G5

Not much of a poll between both sides is it. :)

I won't cancel Netflix, just because of a bad movie... There is more band movies i hate tat arn't o Netflix.. the smaller wins.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I most certainly have a switch inside me. Only a few times has anyone or something triggered it. But as I sit here I don’t think I feel so strongly about anything to make me react that way...until it happens.

In the words of Mark Manson, “We all have a limited number of f***s to give; pay attention to where and who you give them to.”

18. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have absolutely no idea who Mark Manson is, but I happen to agree with him
    Cheers

19. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

They have lots of things I don’t agree with, but I couldn’t care less. They have lots of other content as well. They would have to do something incredibly slimy as a company in general for me to leave.

20. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Strong no. That being said, I find myself increasingly annoyed with their service. I’m trying to talk my wife into canceling for a period of time, say six months. The price hike might help me in that effort.

21. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

You know it. I just finished watching the entirety of Netflix last night, and I'm pleased to say I agree with everything 100%. :) I even agree with the films that contradict each other in meaning. But I've gotta go now; Netflix uploaded a couple more things in the last few seconds, and I need to vet them.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's entertainment I don't need to agree with it but I do want to know where the next season of blue bloods is and why it took forever for the second season of taken to come out.

23. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Would you?

24. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It would have to be something truly abhorrent. I can't really think what that would be. Even then it would probably have to be accompanied with Netflix endorsing the work publicly. Not just something in the catalog.

There's plenty of stuff I watch and enjoy. Where I disagree with the actual subject matter, don't care for the message or not like the characters. If it has compelling writing, great acting and I can connect with it at some level. I watch it.

I really don't get not watching something when you don't agree with the personal politics of the actors. When it has nothing to do with the film. So what, I could care less about their personal lives. With so many actors on films and shows. There's bound to be someone I disagree with in the cast. There'd be nothing to watch. They just need to play their parts well.

It would be a pretty miserable way to live. Being so closed minded. That you can't even open yourself up to another point of view. Just to see if it has merit and if your own beliefs could use some modification.

25. jerwin, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

is this really a hypothetical, or does it have a hashtag on twitter?

Or worse. Does it have a hashtag on a site frequented by people who have been banned from or actively boycott twitter?