Would you rather have (only) texting or (only) calling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If you could only have one or the other on your phone, which would you choose?

I'd choose texting. It's pretty much my primary way of communicating. I rarely make any calls, or receive them.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Texting. I loathe the very existence of the telephone.

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Texting. :D

Just so much easier while at class, working, at sporting/music events etc... :)

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Calling.

I'm so used to the phone, I can get more done in less time speaking to someone.

Full disclosure - I can't type for beans, so it takes me forever to type a message. I suppose that I could use Dragon Dictate - but I still prefer calling.

The babbling of a pitiful old fart...:eek:;)

5. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Texting. I think more clearly when I can type things out.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Texting and data right? I'd rather have that... of course I'd route all my calls through google voice and the talkatone app for free. :p

9. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Texting, how else is Brett Favre gonna send pictures of his junk...lol

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Texting because I could probably get used to using my house phone for when I need to use the phone.

11. JLemm macrumors regular

Calling.... So I don't get interrupted all day at work. Haha

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Calling.
    Unlike others, mostly the younger generation, I'm not afraid to..you know..actually talk to another human being. lol

Besides, texting leaves way too much guessing.

13. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Texting 100%

barely use the phone anymore at all, don't even have a home phone now...why bother when there's 2 cellphones already in the house.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

for me it would be Calling ... I don't text ... and crazy as it sounds I still use email :cool:

15. andreamarts24 macrumors newbie

For me I probably choose calling rather than texting because in calling you can directly communicate to that person especially when it is in emergency mode while in texting some scenarios are they do not directly read the message because of being busy and most of them they are not able to read the text message because the profile is in silent. I had been experienced it before and I actually proved it. Calling, calling! :)

16. SporkLover macrumors 6502

17. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

18. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Oddly enough I would choose calling. I text way more than I call currently but if I had to choose one I would just call people more frequently.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

CALLING

I also use my phone for work, text messaging, for me, won't provide me full instructions or explanations, that would require me to get my work done. Isn't there a maximum of 60 characters per text? At least, that's what my dumb phone allowed per text.

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I would choose calling. Texting is great for some things, but sometimes it takes 20 text messages to accomplish what a one or two minute phone call can. And there's so much room for misinterpretation with texts. I wouldn't be happy to give up texting, but imagining doing all of my communicating that way makes me shudder.

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Calling, and these two post explain it best.

22. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Texting/iMessage with read receipts ON!

That way you'd know if someone has received and read your message.

I'm not a afraid to pick up the phone and talk, unfortuneately my friends are not!

23. james92se macrumors 6502a

I think this speaks for itself.. this is with 4 days left in my billing cycle:

[​IMG]

I really, really hate being on the phone. It's been funny these past few years with the media acting like texting is new or something. I've been nearly exclusively texting for 10 years now. I used to get in huge trouble back in high school for running up big bills with "interactive messages" or whatever it was Cingular used to call them :p

I actually like talking to other human beings. However, I hate the psychical act of being (stuck) on the phone. There's a difference ;)

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This. Plus, when you commute by train, talking on the phone is both impractical and obnoxious. Texting FTW.

25. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Texting.

One of the few things I can't live without.