would you rather have your backups saved in the cloud through itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Dec 31, 2011.

?

?

1. cloud

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. itunes

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

iCloud, then they're accessible from anywhere.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Neither.

My data is too valuable to trust either place. I have a very secure, robust home network with a Synology NAS to insure my backups are all mine. It is not connected to the Internet, thereby preventing any compromises.

A second network I've setup is used for my Internet connectivity and my personal cloud strategy. I only put working non critical files in the cloud.

4. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

[​IMG]

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Someone's clairvoyance is highly accurate :D

6. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

your IP can give your address/computer location away........and you IP activity and patterns can tell whether or not you have taken that into consideration.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes, I have several proactive security / privacy measures in place. They're a prerequisite of my NDA's and other contractual obligations.

In addition, it's just one more reason why I have multiple MBP's & ThinkPads. My system for assuring the best possible security involves a very dynamic, ever changing set of parameters. Not to mention a highly sophisticated password protocol. The extra time & effort is second nature by now.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

iTunes

I like my stuff on my iMac...Especially if it's just the one choice. The amount of stuff I have accumulated means I would need a lot of cloud storage anyway.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Epic!!! Dude, you finally got an upvote from me!

10. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

before the sun rises i could tell you whether or not you're being serious, but i don't think you are lol

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I really hope the CIA has better things to do that snoop around some hapless data owned by a user who uses a silly wabbit as his avatar.:p

But then i hate to think how silly our CIA could be, too!:eek:

12. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Any data connected to a network is accessible to the right people.

13. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iTunes , don't want to bother with too many cloud based systems, unsafe and quite frankly I've always backed up to iTunes why change when something is working.

14. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I think the daily iCloud back-up's can be a big waste of bandwidth. 100-200mb per day can add up to quite a lot when you have a bandwidth cap.

Is there any way of setting up iCloud back-up's to be weekly rather than daily?

15. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

iCloud backups only happen when it's plugged in and connected to wifi, unless you initiate the iCloud backup manually, to which you'd still need to be connected to a wifi network.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I tend to trust my own backups but use both mine and the cloud. I think my accumulated work is too important to me to just trust the cloud. I have been using Dropbox for years and never had a problem but do not depend on it solely. I use a USB jump drive to back up my company files everyday but these thing can be lost and stolen so a backup to the backup is required.

17. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

How do you do it manually?

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Setting > iCloud > Storage & Backup. The bottom button, "Back up now."

If there's one thing I've learned about privacy and security, it's that you'd be amazed how effective some cloud backup measures are at being secure and reliable when you wouldn't think it, and you'd also be amazed how ineffectual some homespun backup and security measures are when you need to rely on them. Even after you've kidded yourself that you think you have it all figured out. Ultimately your data is yours, and you can impress others with how complex your self-made system is, but it's all noise. The person you need to impress with your setup is yourself, because if you lose your data, it's you who are screwed.

I too have a SAN and a self-created backup system. But iCloud really shined for me early on in its introduction, when I didn't even realize I needed it, initially. So, I also avail myself of the cloud. And if I had to choose one or the other? Probably the cloud.