Would You Read A Magazine About Mobile Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luisgab1, Jun 11, 2013.

1. luisgab1 macrumors newbie

luisgab1

Hey Guys,

I came to ask you a simple question. Would you read a magazine about mobile apps? I really just want your opinion on this. It's important I get opinions from a Smartphone community!

I'm launching this magazine called AppList, you can read more about it in my signature.

Tell me your thoughts,

- Luis Gabriel

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hi Luis, best of luck with your endeavor. Just a note here, magazines and print media are largely dying with subscription dropping across the industry. Are you planning on having a web version of this as well?

Additionally, given that there are many app review site online currently, what will attract customers to your magazine over browsing online where they can easily purchase apps they're interested in without having to do anything besides clicking on a link? QR codes and the like are helpful, but may be something to consider.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

No. There are already tons of reputable websites out there that cover app reviews. Print media is dying also.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. I don't deal with magazines -- especially for tech related stuff. Waste of resources and quickly outdated.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

A magazine would be a couple of months old by the time it arrived. No links, no ability to purchase, no video, etc. No way.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't waste my time on it either.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

A magazine about Apps? No, because by the time it hit my mailbox/newsstand, it would already be woefully outdated.

But I do read AppAdvice and several other App-based news services about Apps almost every day.

There was a time, not that many years ago, when I bet I spent over $100 a month on various mag subscriptions and/or buying a couple for a plane trip. I can no longer remember the last time I BOUGHT a magazine and the only ones I still read are the airline seatpocket copies (during takeoff/landing...when my iPad is forbidden).

Seriously, you are about 20 years behind the curve here.....

8. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I wish you well... but here's a few (honest) thoughts.

Like others mentioned, print is struggling a lot. Why do you think you will succeed when many publications with big budgets and names (like Newsweek) failed?

Why do you want to go print + digital instead of digital only? If the purpose of your magazine is to help people sort through apps, how does print help? Instead of searching online, now we have to search through physical pages of magazines AND have to search previous issues too. If you say that's what the website is for, what's the point of having print?

And how will you get stores and stands to carry your magazine? While a weekly publication is pretty fast, will people want to buy it weekly (especially when blogs and websites can offer the same info faster and for free)? If Apple released the new iPhone, I guarantee that blogs and website will talk about it within the hour (some, like MacRumors may even update in real time). Depending when it was announced and your print publication schedule, it could take up to a week for it to appear in your print issue...

You also have a good amount of apps reviewed on your mockup. How are you going to sustain that on a weekly basis? Will you have to hire more writers/researchers (which costs more money)? Will you run out of apps to talk about (yes, there's a lot of apps out there but there's also a lot of junk)? How will you review apps that cost money (and how will you find the money to buy them if need be)?

I'd highly suggest you think this through some more. Don't get me wrong...I love physical items as opposed to their digital counterparts. But to write that "The only risk is that we can't bring the magazine to life, soon" is incredibly naive and doesn't address the current realities of print media at all. I don't think many people will want to invest in your project with a risk assessment like that.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear but you did ask for thoughts and I'd hate for you to fail because you didn't think through everything enough.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't subscribe to any print magazines any more.

10. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I would rather read a tech blog about mobile apps.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Unfortunately, magazines, especially regarding tech, are going the way of the dodo. Look at all the gaming magazines that had a solid and strong run. The internet replaced it what with being able to have up to the minute information on just about anything. It's certainly a shame, because there is nothing like flipping threw the pages of a magazine whilst on the bathroom throne. The phone/tablet has replaced this physically, but it is nowhere near the same.

Boy, I just got all sentimental thinking about GamePro. That's where I used to get all of my gamer news. None of this E3 blogosphere garbage. :(

12. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to agree with the other posters. Go with an app blog and/or e-magazine. Frankly, the only way something like a magazine would work for the tech field where everything is changing so rapidly is really in-depth features.

Getting dirty, finding out about new advancements and profiling them, and insightful interviews would make me read any magazine in a topic of my interest.